Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi 2017

Chris1911

Tim

The growth in the Cup was happening with the efforts of Tom and the Production Class until the personnel and format changes took place. Numbers are now back to where the Cup was six years ago. Things will never be the same again, that is a fact of life, things change. "Dennis said it will be so".  We just have to make sure they change for the betterment of the majority of shooters not just one or two. Shoots should always be run for the benefit of the shooters; not the organisers. I think some in the NRA are losing sight of that fact and are using it as a self promotion tool for themselves and the select band of 'celebrity' shooters. There is an old saying " Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"  With the complete change of format,no sponsors grab bags and using the product as part of the prize 'cash' pool I think the bath got thrown out as well.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, goldfieldshooter said:

Tim

The growth in the Cup was happening with the efforts of Tom and the Production Class until the personnel and format changes took place. Numbers are now back to where the Cup was six years ago. Things will never be the same again, that is a fact of life, things change. "Dennis said it will be so".  We just have to make sure they change for the betterment of the majority of shooters not just one or two. Shoots should always be run for the benefit of the shooters; not the organisers. I think some in the NRA are losing sight of that fact and are using it as a self promotion tool for themselves and the select band of 'celebrity' shooters. There is an old saying " Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"  With the complete change of format,no sponsors grab bags and using the product as part of the prize 'cash' pool I think the bath got thrown out as well.

I 100% agree with you, but it was turned around once, so it can be again.  What if someone like Bruce Piatt, that everyone likes and respects, was at the helm.  

Edited by toothguy

9 minutes ago, Action Pistolero said:

Normal meaning the gun that I normally shoot. Your gun is basically the same as mine. It does well in all the other events. I have proven it over and over.

I actually do shoot Bianchi for the prize money. It helps to defray my costs.

I knew that's what you meant, but I shamelessly used it to make my long winded point anyway.  And I always appreciate how you helped me put that gun together.  It is nice to win some money, but for most it's a fraction of the cost to attend the match.

10 minutes ago, Action Pistolero said:

Coatsey,

As you know, I like the format change but agree with everything else.

Tim,

I believe that Bruce is having to much fun in retirement. Besides, who would want that headache.

It would be a huge headache for sure, just wishful thinking.  

If you want variety shoot IPSC as well as Action.

If you want growth, bring back Tom and all the prizes and guns. 90% of the competitors don't give a hoot about the Saturday re shoot.

Get someone to video you while you clean plates. Watch it and try and stay awake. Not very exciting to watch although better than watching someone shooting barricade with an open gun.

Big ask to make it interesting for non shooting spectators who don't know the shooters.

1 hour ago, toothguy said:

I knew that's what you meant, but I shamelessly used it to make my long winded point anyway.  And I always appreciate how you helped me put that gun together.  It is nice to win some money, but for most it's a fraction of the cost to attend the match.

You are very welcome.Was glad to have the chance to do it.

Good afternoon All you Guys.

First off, I would like to wish all of you a safe and happy holiday season, and thank you all for letting me play with you, I have a crap load of fun at the events I get too, and get to learn a lot.

The comments all of you have made are to the point and great, but I can't hold back, and have to add my 2 cents. Just cause.

Unless things changed a lot on my end it is not likely I will ever get to shoot the Bianchi Cup again.

But, the format change will never work if the price of the match stays or goes up, why would an average shooter pay $325USD to just hand over to one of the top 16 shooters.

If this was a golf match, the entry fee is paid by the match, and even the loser gets something, at the Bianchi, at least the last time I went, I got nothing for $325USD other than seeing some great humans, and getting to shoot 192 rounds, it is just not worth the cost in whole.

I am not totally sure, but the Action Pistol rules have at least 18 different matches, and a few real cool ones have been added in the past few years, a real test of shooting skill is to change up the matches all the time.

I have the great fortune to be able to shoot at 4 great events, that cost less than $100UDS for each match, ( MI Indoor / MI just before the Bianchi / Chambersburg / Bedford VA ). In total these match entries will cost me about $600usd, so two times the cost of the one match at the Bianchi. Granted the only prizes we get are at the Bedford Matches, and this past year they drew them from a hat, ( everybody got something ) it was great, and all these matches are the best fun, best test of shooting skills, we always shoot the first day the 4 Bianchi matches, the second day is a free for all, a lot of fun.

Kevin, I understand your thoughts, and get that you like the chance to win money, I know it helps off set your costs, but for the average guy/gal all we are doing is handing you over our entry fee's. if the primary Bianchi match was $100usd I would have no issue, but for $325.00usd it's rip off, no grab bag, nothing to let the world know I shot the match, and one sort of good meal, the awards dinner is at best rubber chicken, and in no way worth the entry fee.

I know how much it costs to run a match, I know how much it costs for the crews, but for the match entry fee of the Bianchi, it really is not worth it for most people who want to shoot.

For me, I will never go back, it's not worth it, I would rather travel to KS / Iowa / or lake Charles, the cost is way more, in travel and time, but the shooting is way more fun, or almost any other match rather than the Bianchi. The Bianchi MIGHT be the end all of the AP world, but it is just to expensive for nothing other than 192 shots fired. I will say it again, the only other reason to go to the Bianchi for me, is to get a chance to see humans I would never get to visit with otherwise.

So Kevin, even though I was your best man, please don't kick the crap out of me for speaking my little mind.

To the rest of you, in the last 6 years since I started shooting AP I have had the best fun, met the best people, and in general wish I had stayed with the sport, I did try in the mid 90's, but was shooting IPSC/USPSA, and though I knew how to shoot, I was very wrong.

Thank you all for letting me join you in play, its just to much fun.

J. Russell Bryan

Canadian Action Pistol Shooter ( sub junior )

Be Safe, and shoot well.

Sorry Russel, I disagree.

I don't have an issue with the entry fee, I feel grateful to all the sponsors and the unpaid staff who give up their time year after year to provide a fun park for me to play. I am sure that if we had no sponsorship and you tried to run the event on a commercial basis, paying all staff, there would be a massive shortfall. The competitors are all benefiting from the generosity of the sponsors and hosts. I guess that's true for all non professional sports, (also assisted with funding from lottery grants etc).

Kevin, I truly hope you win again.There has to be reward for success otherwise there is no competition although the bonus award night lottery drawer is fantastic for all of us equally.

I believe it would be almost impossible for the event to run better than it was in 2013, 2014 and 2015, the first three years I attended. 

I hope to go back in 2017 and hopefully crawl a wee bit further up the ladder.

Merry Christmas to all.

Edited by Chris1911

Tom, you are alive.!!!!!!! that's very good to know.

Your statement is for me 100% to the point.

I have never thought that money or prizes should have anything to do with armature sport.

Russell

On 12/22/2016 at 2:11 PM, JRB said:

For me, I will never go back, it's not worth it, I would rather travel to KS / Iowa / or lake Charles, the cost is way more, in travel and time, but the shooting is way more fun, or almost any other match rather than the Bianchi. The Bianchi MIGHT be the end all of the AP world, but it is just to expensive for nothing other than 192 shots fired. I will say it again, the only other reason to go to the Bianchi for me, is to get a chance to see humans I would never get to visit with otherwise.

George and the crew at the SW Louisiana Rifle and Pistol Club run a great even though I didn't go to Bianchi this year, and likely won't next year I still go to Lake Charles. I actually enjoy going there, the food is good, the atmosphere is very laid back even during the match, and George keeps on improving things based on input from the previous year.

19 hours ago, PPGMD said:

George and the crew at the SW Louisiana Rifle and Pistol Club run a great even though I didn't go to Bianchi this year, and likely won't next year I still go to Lake Charles. I actually enjoy going there, the food is good, the atmosphere is very laid back even during the match, and George keeps on improving things based on input from the previous year.

Pity it's not scheduled closer to the date of the Bianchi Cup for the Internationals. 

Chris

Internationals have and do attend the Crawfish Cup. You are retired, come over early enjoy the match, food and hospitality and ride back to Columbia with us for a nice relaxing run into the Bianchi Cup, problem solved… J

Richard

Last year you arrived late and spent your practice time swinging a hammer instead of being at the range. The “Embassy” by the way is doing just fine…J

We are looking forward to seeing everyone here again next year; it is you all that make the event and the Action Pistol community what it is today!

GrantJ

If you want a truer test of shooters ability, bring back a match like The Masters. Call it something else, and hold it somewhere else and it would again become the premier match in the world. 

Sad happenings. My son and I were just talking about getting ready for Bianchi. Not going to happen now. Another great match gone bad

Edited by gmantwo

All,  It is the same match as it has been since 1979.  I go to shoot and try and do my best and see where I end up against some of the best in the world.  I try really hard to get past the drama and just go to shoot and see my friends and have a good time.  I was just as hot as the others when things were not like there were supposed to be last year, but some change is not the worst thing.  If you decide to spend your money at other matches so be it.  Regardless of the tweaks of the match, the shooting challenge is the same.  Shoot 192 shots in the x/10 ring.  As long as that isn't screwed with we will have a match to attend.....

DougC

17 hours ago, DougCarden said:

All,  It is the same match as it has been since 1979.  I go to shoot and try and do my best and see where I end up against some of the best in the world.  I try really hard to get past the drama and just go to shoot and see my friends and have a good time.  I was just as hot as the others when things were not like there were supposed to be last year, but some change is not the worst thing.  If you decide to spend your money at other matches so be it.  Regardless of the tweaks of the match, the shooting challenge is the same.  Shoot 192 shots in the x/10 ring.  As long as that isn't screwed with we will have a match to attend.....

DougC

Well said Doug. 

Speaking of the Crawfish Cup, I received an email from George this weekend with the program attached. The match has been extended to a 2 day event. They will have 2 rail movers this year. They are in the process of setting up an online registration which will utilize Paypal. 

2017 Crawfish Cup program_final_revised 12.29.2016.pdf

22 hours ago, RippinSVT said:

Anybody know when 2017 registration opens? I thought it was usually Jan 1.

Last I heard from Damien is that registration "goes live" on the 5th of January.......tomorrow.

Alan~^~