Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing lanolin case lube

ColoradoShooter

I use the Dillon lube for rifle brass and agree wit the others who have posted it comes off in my normal walnut/polish tumble after about 20 mins.

With the Hornady One Shot, I don't need to remove it but only use it on pistol brass and very lightly. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a very slow study.......I installed a Udie for bulges on my 650. I have read several places that by changing my die away from my carbide Dillons I will need to use a case lube on my pistol brass for ease of operation!

I have not had time to use it yet. My question is : Will lube be necessary, if so is is mandatory to remove the case lube after loading?......If so what is the easiest way other than retumbling. This is what I'm trying to avoid....I load runs of 1K 9 mm at a time.......Sorry for the confusion ...........Merry Christmas ......

52 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

I'm a very slow study.......I installed a Udie for bulges on my 650.

My question is : Will lube be necessary,

A UDIE CAN REALLY BE ROUGH ON BRASS WITHOUT LUBE.

if so is is mandatory to remove the case lube after loading?

NO.

.....If so what is the easiest way other than retumbling.

MOST WILL COME OFF IF YOU SPRAY SOME MINERAL SPIRITS ON A TOWEL AND DUMP SOME BRASS ON IT AND ROLL IT AROUND.

This is what I'm trying to avoid

ALL YOU CAN DO IS TRY. MAYBE YOU'LL BE HAPPY WITH TACKY AMMO.

I load runs of 1K 9 mm at a time

SO DO I, BUT I STILL WON'T LOAD WITHOUT LUBE AND THEN TUMBLE IT OFF.

Merry Christmas ......

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AS WELL!

I am using a lanolin/alcohol blend for a case lube, it's tacky after loading. Do I need to add more alcohol, or tumble loaded rounds? I shoot coated bullets, will tumbling in corncob media take off the coating? 

Thanks 

16 minutes ago, NateTSU said:

I am using a lanolin/alcohol blend for a case lube

GOOD CALL

it's tacky after loading.

NORMAL

Do I need to add more alcohol, or tumble loaded rounds?

I TUMBLE. ADDING MORE ALCOHOL WILL EVENTUALLY THIN IT TO THE POINT IT DOESNT WORK AS WELL.

I shoot coated bullets, will tumbling in corncob media take off the coating? 

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS

Thanks 

Just an observation....why some continue using a product if it causes grief when there is an easy cheap fast fix...... (I know the answer :)

Everyone (it appears) praises Hornady One Shot case lube. It is extremely inexpensive, very easy to apply. When used correctly there is virtually no residue on loaded ammo that causes issues.

1 hour ago, oteroman said:

Just an observation....why some continue using a product if it causes grief when there is an easy cheap fast fix...... (I know the answer :)

Everyone (it appears) praises Hornady One Shot case lube. It is extremely inexpensive, very easy to apply. When used correctly there is virtually no residue on loaded ammo that causes issues.

Probably because we don't see it as causing grief?

Also, there IS just enough residue left even from OS to attract flakes of powder, sand, etc.

OS cheap? It's close to $10 a can. I bought enough lanolin and pure alcohol for $15 to last me for years and years

I always find it somewhat ironic when people talk about expensive $10 a can case lube when they're shooting a $3000 pistol and shooting a dime (probably more but that's my cost on ammo) down range every time they pull the trigger. I use the non aerosol Dillon Case lube and at 4 "spritzes" per 2500 cases, it lasts a long time and I don't clean my ammo after loading. I do roll the cases around in a towel after "spritzing" so that probably takes a lot of the excess lube off.

brass clean 11.JPG

21 hours ago, oteroman said:

There are lots of folks that have had issues with one shot.  Maybe all of us used it incorrectly but I got rid of my can after having a large number of really soft like nearly a squib loads using it.  Since my experience Ive read many posts of others having the same issue.  Cost me dearly at 2 major matches before determining it was the OS.  Use it if you want but its not getting anywhere near my ammo.  Dillon is my choice.  Drop it in tumbler for a bit with walnut or corn cob, some turtle wax & you get really shiny clean ammo.  Tumbling & separating media actual time from doing other stuff is about 5 minutes.  Not like you have to stand & spin shake tumbler by hand.  Dump it turn it on walk away.  Come back in a while, dump in media separator, spin it a minute, dump in container & youre done.

On 12/17/2016 at 7:39 AM, TANFARM said:

I'm a very slow study.......I installed a Udie for bulges on my 650. I have read several places that by changing my die away from my carbide Dillons I will need to use a case lube on my pistol brass for ease of operation!

I have not had time to use it yet. My question is : Will lube be necessary, if so is is mandatory to remove the case lube after loading?......If so what is the easiest way other than retumbling. This is what I'm trying to avoid....I load runs of 1K 9 mm at a time.......Sorry for the confusion ...........Merry Christmas ......

For 9mm pistol with one shot and a U die I do the following.

Spray the bottom of a small Tupperware sandwich container for about 1-2 seconds. Fill it halfway with brass (50ish pieces) stir it around, and dump it into the casefeeder. This method keeps you from directly spraying the cases - so you aren't getting lube inside every case that was mouth-upward.

Do this twice each time you refill the primer tube with and you'll never run the casefeeder dry. Takes less than 30 seconds.

Load your ammo.

Gauge it and box it up, as is. No need to clean or tumble or anything.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2016 at 8:48 AM, Sarge said:

Somebody once posted on here they kept thinning a bottle of Dillon lube with alcohol for years and it still worked great so I mix mine about 20% lanolin I think.

20% or 20:1 (alcohol:lanolin)?

20% would be some thick case lube.  I think I initially tried 12:1 the first time and 15:1 the second mix. 

8 hours ago, RDA said:

20% or 20:1 (alcohol:lanolin)?

20% would be some thick case lube.  I think I initially tried 12:1 the first time and 15:1 the second mix. 

Just guessing. I mix it until it works. Too little and it doesn't help much. Too much and it funks up the CF plate etc.

I have Dillon and One Shot case lube on my bench. The solution to this problem is One Shot. It lubes to make running the press much smother, easier to apply, and you don't need to tumble to remove it like the Dillon lube. Reloading rifle is a different story. One Shot is worthless on rifle cases. 

17 minutes ago, jstoos said:

. The solution to this problem is One Shot. It lubes to make running the press much smother, easier to apply, and you don't need to tumble to remove it like the Dillon lube

There is no problem that I see. I used OS for a few years and even talked it up on here for its awesomeness. That is until I made some lanolin lube. Easily 5 times better than OS in my opinion. 

Since I use tight gauges I tumbled even when using OS so that's not an issue either.

I use Dillon lube.  After loading, pour loaded rounds on towel and spray with alcohol.  Roll around on towel and it's done.  Been doing this for a couple of years and it works great.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Just guessing. I mix it until it works. Too little and it doesn't help much. Too much and it funks up the CF plate etc.

All that matters in the end is you can distribute a proper amount of the lanolin reasonably well onto the cases and the carrier (alcohol) evaporates (whether a 20% solution or a 5% solution).  

:)

I started using the infamous bootleg case lube, one 12oz bottle of Heet (red bottle is 99% isopropol alcohol) and one oz of liquid lanolin in a spray bottle. Spray 2-3 shots into a large bag, dump a lot of brass in, roll brass around in bag, dump out into cardboard box lid to dry a few min, dump into case feeder, load and shoot.  That's it. 

17 minutes ago, igolfat8 said:

Where do you buy your lanolin? Isn't there a specific type of lanolin to use? What brand of lanolin? Can someone post a picture of the lanolin or a link where to order it from? Thanks...