Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riser = bad idea?

ffgats

Hi

as the title  says, is it bad idea?, dont care of the looks, but more on stability.  I am using right now a 1.50" height mount, and find it a little uncomfortable especially on the back on my neck,  I found a riser made by Valada at .250" and that would make a total of 1.750" which I would think ideal for me. Larue and ADM makes 1.93", not sure if it might be too high too. any pros and cons when using a higher mount when shooting prone. Used to have a Eotech G33 magnifer which has a 1.750" centerline height, and find it very good for my shooting positioning. . Even  my T1 on a Larue 660 mount has centerline of 1.64" is not that bad at all . However the iron sights which is 1.40" is not my ideal height. Thanks

I recently switched to the ADM high mount and like it so far. It did take a little getting used to but after getting a few range sessions in I like the height. Look at a lot of the high level shooters and you will see they run the same mount(ADM or Larue) as well. Get a cheap riser, swap it in and try it. If you like it get a dedicated mount. If not no big loss.

21 hours ago, ffgats said:

Hows the ADM Recon H mount, 

I really like it. Have some new glass on the way for my rifle so I will be switching it out from my short gun to where it will stay on my 18". Should have some more info for you shortly after Christmas.

ETA: I did run it on my bay rifle for my last 3-gun of the year and liked it even with limited time on it.

Edited by LoganbillJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2016 at 9:10 PM, Jeff Phillips said:

The only downside to a riser block is that they have the possibility to exaggerate the POA/POI difference at varying engagement ranges.

Its not as bad as you think at the distances we commonly see. I plugged in the offset difference in Strelok and only had about a 2-5 yard shift across the board out to 600 yards. Honestly got me closer to my desired hold points on my reticle with my given load.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-03 at 10:05 AM, LoganbillJ said:

Its not as bad as you think at the distances we commonly see. I plugged in the offset difference in Strelok and only had about a 2-5 yard shift across the board out to 600 yards. Honestly got me closer to my desired hold points on my reticle with my given load.

LoganbillJ

Still waiting for the my LGS to restock the ADM High mount, just curious if you find shooting Prone with the High Mount more challenging than the 1.50" common mount height. Thanks