Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan powder BA 7.5 for open gun?

hwansikcjswo

I cannot help much with trying to make major 9 with this powder  since I have not loaded above book.  However, I really like Ba7.5.  I have shot several pounds of it in 9mm 115 gr Zero-C    1.12 oal at the book max. The load is very accurate,  occasionally getting 3/4" 5 shot groups at 25 yards off a bench rest with a Stock 2.  I have not chrono'd  the load but it certainly does not feel like it is going as fast as the book says it should.  No pressure signs with Federal small pistol primers.  Some, but not a lot of room left in the case without compressing. It is a small stick powder about the size of 3N37.  Very clean.    Sorry this is not much help for you  but the powder shoots mild and I  also would like to hear if anyone has run it up a bit. 

• 1 month later...

I tried the ba 7.5 to make major. The fastest I could get it to go was 1307 at 7.6 grains at 1.160 col. with a 124 gr hbrn berry's. I did not test 115s. It does have enough gas to run the comp just not enough velocity to make Major. There is just not enough case in 9mm to make major with ba 7.5 

Edited by FinleysHobbies
Unfinished thought