Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA Match Critiques

Hans7

Hey guys, I shot my first USPSA match today and had a great time and will definitly continue to compete as often as I can. I took a few videos and thought I'd refer to some expericed USPSA guys to see if they could point out any training points outside of what I noticed.

I noticed: drive from target to target harder, shoot on the move more and then also pick up the speed a tad I think cause I had a lot left in the tank I was just trying to get my feet wet and hit good As. Also, not forget to shoot the activating plate before the paper so I'm sitting there with my thumb up my ass (stage 3) 

Anyways, any and all advice would be appreciated, thanks guys! 

Hans

First stage HF 5.1613, time 35.65, 35A and 3C

Third Stage  HF 5.4507, time 19.08, 19A and 3C 

Stage 5  HF 4.5308, time 30.46, 22A, 9C and 1D (yikes) lol 

Hans, I haven't looked at the tapes, but I noticed that you are going very slowly -

1st clue:   36 seconds for 38 shots; 19 seconds for 22 shots and 30 seconds for 32 shots.

Sounds like you're taking a full second for each and every shot.

That's a LONG TIME in USPSA, where many people shoot 3-4 shots/second.

2nd clue is 6 C's in the 1st 2 stages (total of 60 shots)).

No reason for a Yikes with a single D in 92 shots.

You are trying to be too precise - loosen up a little and pick up some speed - just

a Guess without watching you shoot.    :) 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Hans, I haven't looked at the tapes, but I noticed that you are going very slowly -

1st clue:   36 seconds for 38 shots; 19 seconds for 22 shots and 30 seconds for 32 shots.

Sounds like you're taking a full second for each and every shot.

That's a LONG TIME in USPSA, where many people shoot 3-4 shots/second.

2nd clue is 6 C's in the 1st 2 stages (total of 60 shots)).

No reason for a Yikes with a single D in 92 shots.

You are trying to be too precise - loosen up a little and pick up some speed - just

a Guess without watching you shoot.    :) 

Thanks for the reply! I'd agree with you 100%. I know I have a lot of speed in the tank I was just forcing myself to hold back and apply fundamentals but at the next match I'm gonna speed it up for sure. 

Edited by Hans7

I thought your movement was really solid and you obviously did a good job with your accuracy.  A lot of people are going to tell you that you shot too many alphas.  I disagree.  You just need to be able to start shooting a little bit faster.  Looks like you have some cowboy action shooting experience which has helped you learn to run courses effectively and safely.  The big difference now will be that the limiting factor will no longer be your ability to work the action of the gun.  Now it will be your eyes seeing what they need to see.  I think you're way ahead of the game and just need to master the semi-auto now.  There were a few times where your position caused you to have to shuffle a little bit to see the next target (like the end of the first stage).  If you can find one spot to hit all of them you'll finish quicker.

Really nice job for your first outing!

Good job catching yourself on the reholster in that final stage.  That will be a hard habit to break coming from CASS.  

Edited by Pistolpete9

Yeah pretty darn solid for your first USPSA match.  Movement to positions is good, reloads looks pretty good; target transitions and learning an acceptable sight picture for USPSA will help knock time off in a hurry.

5th place is pretty damn good, keep it up!

Edited by SCTaylor

Tip #1.  Have your phone turned 90 degrees.  

The good.  Gun handling looks pretty solid, too often new shooters want to point the gun at their feet when they move but you're keeping the gun held up and pointed down range.  Be sure to keep doing that.  You moved briskly, which is good.  You can move faster, but this is a good start.  Your gun comes out of the holster on the beep and you move with it in your hand.  Keeping doing this too.

The bad.  You will pick up shooting pace as you dry and live fire practice.  Give targets as much sight picture as they need and no more.  You should develop levels of sight pictures for different targets depending on the difficulty and risk.  Come into a position with the gun up and in position to shoot.   Stage 5 at 0:23 you ran into position, stopped, pushed the gun up towards the target.  This is slow.  When you come to a stop the gun should be up, aiming, and ready to shoot.  

Good job, keep it up.

2 hours ago, Pistolpete9 said:

I thought your movement was really solid and you obviously did a good job with your accuracy.  A lot of people are going to tell you that you shot too many alphas.  I disagree.  You just need to be able to start shooting a little bit faster.  Looks like you have some cowboy action shooting experience which has helped you learn to run courses effectively and safely.  The big difference now will be that the limiting factor will no longer be your ability to work the action of the gun.  Now it will be your eyes seeing what they need to see.  I think you're way ahead of the game and just need to master the semi-auto now.  There were a few times where your position caused you to have to shuffle a little bit to see the next target (like the end of the first stage).  If you can find one spot to hit all of them you'll finish quicker.

Really nice job for your first outing!

Good job catching yourself on the reholster in that final stage.  That will be a hard habit to break coming from CASS.  

Thanks for the reply and tips Pete, I noticed the shuffle thing myself. Just something I need to work on during the walk through more. 

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

Yeah pretty darn solid for your first USPSA match.  Movement to positions is good, reloads looks pretty good; target transitions and learning an acceptable sight picture for USPSA will help knock time off in a hurry.

5th place is pretty damn good, keep it up!

Good points here too. Acceptable sight picture is a big one cause I'm just so used to shooting high A zone for work accepting those Cs for considerable more speed is just something I have to make myself do. Thanks man!  

29 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Tip #1.  Have your phone turned 90 degrees.  

The good.  Gun handling looks pretty solid, too often new shooters want to point the gun at their feet when they move but you're keeping the gun held up and pointed down range.  Be sure to keep doing that.  You moved briskly, which is good.  You can move faster, but this is a good start.  Your gun comes out of the holster on the beep and you move with it in your hand.  Keeping doing this too.

The bad.  You will pick up shooting pace as you dry and live fire practice.  Give targets as much sight picture as they need and no more.  You should develop levels of sight pictures for different targets depending on the difficulty and risk.  Come into a position with the gun up and in position to shoot.   Stage 5 at 0:23 you ran into position, stopped, pushed the gun up towards the target.  This is slow.  When you come to a stop the gun should be up, aiming, and ready to shoot.  

Good job, keep it up.

Thanks for these points too. Good stuff on the slow movement on stage 5 @ 0:23, I hadn't really noticed that too much and that's why I came to you all. I'll continue to work on these things and I'm sure I'll come back with some updated match videos soon employing these tips. Thanks again! 

A's and close C's are what you want. Don't "accept" C hits in minor scoring. They happen but you want them as the exception, not the rule.

As Waco noted, the sight pictures come with time and practice. I'm new too and still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SCTaylor said:

A's and close C's are what you want. Don't "accept" C hits in minor scoring. They happen but you want them as the exception, not the rule.

As Waco noted, the sight pictures come with time and practice. I'm new too and still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, thanks again man! 

Resident B class hack happy to chime in.  You clearly have spent some time shooting, you'll be a B in no time, and beyond I'm sure.    You look like you have a solid foundation.  Cannot tell anything about your stage plans based on the narrow field of the camera.  

First video - Leisurely transitions and splits - the movement looked pretty strong.  Was kind of a non sequitur to move that aggressively then shoot so leisurely.  Build the grip and start to get the gun up as you start to decelerate and don't stand all the way up when you enter a position, stay low.   

Second video - Gun isn't up when entering the second position (couldn't see you enter the third) - you over aim for sure in the second array (.5 or slower splits) on what appeared to be open targets at 10Y +/-.  Your transitions were leisurely as you indicated. 

Third video - weird body positioning entering the first position since you're going to have to leave and go off to the left. It's like you posted up in weaver then had to cross yourself to leave position.  See max michels videos on the trailing foot on setting up.  Second position your feet are settled before your support hand is on the gun. Same thing at 3rd position. Wide transition very leisurely - snap your sternum at the target.  Avoid those in target groupings if you can.   Last position you enter then raise up and bring the gun up as well. 

I cannot tell based on them holding the phone vertically, but if there were any opportunities for you to shoot in or shoot out of position, I'm guessing there were at least a few potential positions where this could have helped you into/out of position.  If you can pick a close target in an array to have the gun on as you settle into the box and be firing as soon as both feet are in the box but feet aren't yet settled.  Match director appears to really spread out the COF - none of the 2 step reloads for you it seems. 

You're mostly doing "tank turn" type tansitions, think about transitioning by popping your sternum to line up with the next target and have your hips/legs more engaged in the process than just moving your arms.  This really helps on wide transitions, especially if you pull the gun in close to the body then press it out as you're settling onto target.  

You're standing up in each position you come into, it's faster to stay low, because you're having to go ahead and transfer the weight down to compress your legs as you exit, just stay down there.  This appeared to be a big issue on stage 5, each position coupled with not having the gun up probably cost you a quarter to a half a second.  

it's clear you've got some proficiency with gun handling, you're out of the holster in a hurry and reload looked good.  It seems like you're hitting what you're aiming at or near enough.  If you're shooting minor you need to get alphas quickly.  if that means moving and shooting or not moving so be it, you need alphas in minor, however you shoot alphas the fastest is what you do.  Don't bog down on what is the theoretical best way to do anything.  Have a good grip on what you're capable of and know how that translates you into doing more running and less aiming or more aiming and less running - do what you can execute the best quickest.  

44 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

Resident B class hack happy to chime in.  You clearly have spent some time shooting, you'll be a B in no time, and beyond I'm sure.    You look like you have a solid foundation.  Cannot tell anything about your stage plans based on the narrow field of the camera.  

First video - Leisurely transitions and splits - the movement looked pretty strong.  Was kind of a non sequitur to move that aggressively then shoot so leisurely.  Build the grip and start to get the gun up as you start to decelerate and don't stand all the way up when you enter a position, stay low.   

Second video - Gun isn't up when entering the second position (couldn't see you enter the third) - you over aim for sure in the second array (.5 or slower splits) on what appeared to be open targets at 10Y +/-.  Your transitions were leisurely as you indicated. 

Third video - weird body positioning entering the first position since you're going to have to leave and go off to the left. It's like you posted up in weaver then had to cross yourself to leave position.  See max michels videos on the trailing foot on setting up.  Second position your feet are settled before your support hand is on the gun. Same thing at 3rd position. Wide transition very leisurely - snap your sternum at the target.  Avoid those in target groupings if you can.   Last position you enter then raise up and bring the gun up as well. 

I cannot tell based on them holding the phone vertically, but if there were any opportunities for you to shoot in or shoot out of position, I'm guessing there were at least a few potential positions where this could have helped you into/out of position.  If you can pick a close target in an array to have the gun on as you settle into the box and be firing as soon as both feet are in the box but feet aren't yet settled.  Match director appears to really spread out the COF - none of the 2 step reloads for you it seems. 

You're mostly doing "tank turn" type tansitions, think about transitioning by popping your sternum to line up with the next target and have your hips/legs more engaged in the process than just moving your arms.  This really helps on wide transitions, especially if you pull the gun in close to the body then press it out as you're settling onto target.  

You're standing up in each position you come into, it's faster to stay low, because you're having to go ahead and transfer the weight down to compress your legs as you exit, just stay down there.  This appeared to be a big issue on stage 5, each position coupled with not having the gun up probably cost you a quarter to a half a second.  

it's clear you've got some proficiency with gun handling, you're out of the holster in a hurry and reload looked good.  It seems like you're hitting what you're aiming at or near enough.  If you're shooting minor you need to get alphas quickly.  if that means moving and shooting or not moving so be it, you need alphas in minor, however you shoot alphas the fastest is what you do.  Don't bog down on what is the theoretical best way to do anything.  Have a good grip on what you're capable of and know how that translates you into doing more running and less aiming or more aiming and less running - do what you can execute the best quickest.  

Great info, thank you for the detail  diagnostic of the stages! I'm taking these tips and will surely use them well to train up for the next match. 

The best thing you could possibly do would be to head to the range with a seasoned A or M shooter and have them show you what you're actually capable of when it comes to transitions between targets and splits between shots on one target.

You are a rare exception: most new shooters get encouraged to speed up moving and loading and not their shooting. In your case, that's not true.

Learn how much faster you can shoot and transition without sacrificing the hits you get on the targets. You will be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching your videos brought back some fond memories.  I shot the SEPSA and SAPSA matches for about 6 years, and built stages for SEPSA for about 5 years.  I'm taking a long break from shooting, and haven't shot a match at either club since January or February.  Don't really miss the shooting so much as I do the people.   There is a lot of experienced shooters at both matches.  Try to squad up with Bruce Wallace, if you can.  He's a master production shooter and truly a grandmaster at planning a stage. 

You are doing freaking awesome for just starting out in USPSA.   You'll certainly make C class, but probably B class within a short period of time.   The only advice I have to offer...forget the BS about shooing slower or faster.  Shoot as fast as you can shoot A's, hall butt when not shooting, and keep the gun up and ready to shoot. 

Who knows when I'll get back to shooting at SEPSA and SAPSA, but I hope to meet you some day.   

On 12/26/2016 at 11:19 PM, grapemeister said:

Watching your videos brought back some fond memories.  I shot the SEPSA and SAPSA matches for about 6 years, and built stages for SEPSA for about 5 years.  I'm taking a long break from shooting, and haven't shot a match at either club since January or February.  Don't really miss the shooting so much as I do the people.   There is a lot of experienced shooters at both matches.  Try to squad up with Bruce Wallace, if you can.  He's a master production shooter and truly a grandmaster at planning a stage. 

You are doing freaking awesome for just starting out in USPSA.   You'll certainly make C class, but probably B class within a short period of time.   The only advice I have to offer...forget the BS about shooing slower or faster.  Shoot as fast as you can shoot A's, hall butt when not shooting, and keep the gun up and ready to shoot. 

Who knows when I'll get back to shooting at SEPSA and SAPSA, but I hope to meet you some day.   

That's great! I did actually squad up with Bruce at this match, and learned a lot from him right off the bat. 

Same to you! 

• 2 months later...