Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making minor out of major gun

ShortBus

I shoot a weekly indoor uspsa match that requires minor due to the noise levels. 

Ive got a recoil spring variety pack coming Monday. I'm thinking heavier bullet, fast powder like tightgroup, 6-7lbs recoil spring.. what else? Lower hammer spring too? 

What are yall y'all doing for this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, echotango said:

I just change the powder amount and go down one on the recoil spring. No change to bullet or powder.

Unless you want an entirely different load. 

I don't necessarily want a different load, just reliable minor. Heard some of the major powders get really dirty at minor levels, so there's that too. I really don't know, that's why I asked. 

5 minutes ago, busdriver02 said:

Just shoot your production load.  It'll probably run just fine as is.

I will for sure try this before I do anything. I guess I'm just assuming it won't and trying to get prepared lol. 

I am using a 115 with 5.5 of Win Auto Comp for multigun and steel matches from a Trubor and Matchmaster. I use HS6 for major loads, but never tried to load it down. 8# recoil spring. Averages about 1,200 fps for 138 pf

Edited by mscott

• 2 weeks later...

i can't detect any difference in the noise of open minor vs open major, but I use my super duper muffs whenever I RO any open guns.

I would think that with the light recoil springs most competitors run, you wouldn't really need to change anything on the gun. I know my CZ Tac sport runs minor loads without any trouble, even with the stock spring, and even more better with the lighter 11-lb spring.

I just got my open gun and haven't had a chance to play with recoil springs, previous owner thinks it's a 10 in there. I bought a tuning spring kit from stoeger (#6-#12 I think?) I planned to mess with for both minor and major. Tomorrow I will be shooting my first match as well as first indoor with the gun and plan to show up a little early and see what weight will get my slide moving faster. 

The 6 shots infired of my production load dribbled out basically but I'm not worried about the ejection, more so wanting to get slide speed up. Will report backnwhat infond. 

50 minutes ago, dauntedfuture said:

An open gun will be loud no matter what you do unless you take the comp off and that's not practical.  

Not true. It's all in the powder. My gun was quieter than everybody who was shooting minor and the same as the other 3 guys who shoot the same load as me but out of production loads. 

• 3 weeks later...

Major load is 10 grains of #7 under a 124gr coated bullet at 1.170

minor load is 3.7 grains of ETR7 under a 135gr coated bullet at 1.110 (my tanfo load) 

simply making minor isnt isn't what I wanted to do, I needed an actual minor production load. Indoors the slower powder at higher than normal minor PF levels is almost the same amount of noise. Shooting my normal production load the gun cycles fine and you can't tell the difference in noise between my gun and a tanfo.    

On 1/23/2017 at 4:34 PM, 57K said:

SB, TiteGroup is one of the more popular powders for this, but I wouldn't use it personally. Most of the faster burning powders will give a higher operating pressure at lower velocity which makes them better for Minor because they're in an optimum range, pressure wise. Slower burners like WAC, or slower, won't be. The pronlem I have with TiteGroup is its very high flame temperature that a good many have discovered by touching the slide after a number of rounds. N320 is also very popular and I would even try Vectan's equivalent: Ba 9 1/2 for economy.

Why do you say there is an optimum pressure range?  Optimum for what? Accuracy?  Cleanliness?