Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC Rack on Cart Legal

On 12/10/2016 at 3:20 PM, davsco said:

so sorry for you all you guys living in commiefornia.  get rid of the politics and traffic and it's a very beautiful place.

Yeah, geograghically and climate-wise there's no nicer place on earth but politically, there's very few worse places in this country.

I'm counting days until retirement in 3 years. then move to Prescott AZ or somewhere similar in a free state.

Edited by robertg5322
6 hours ago, Sarge said:

From a casual conversation with a higher authority I believe keeping PCC's bagged is gaining momentum.

I'm not sure I understand this line of thinking.  The rifle in the picture had a chamber flag and has the muzzle pointed in a relatively safe direction.  I don't see how sticking it in a piece of cloth is going to make it any safer. 

16 minutes ago, Terry44 said:

I'm not sure I understand this line of thinking.  The rifle in the picture had a chamber flag and has the muzzle pointed in a relatively safe direction.  I don't see how sticking it in a piece of cloth is going to make it any safer. 

"Relatively" safe direction? Maybe that's why staying bagged may happen?

• 4 months later...

I shot a PCC only match immediately after the Optics Nationals on those stages, and Mike Foley and Troy McManus were present... in a Q&A session following the match, two recommendations from the Florida shooters were... start position in low ready and not  port arms, and that if bagged firearms were required, that a table be provided (like a pre load shotgun table used in multi gun) to speed up the administration of the match... extremely time consuming to go to line with bagged PCC, un bag, shoot stage, show clear, re bag before calling line clear...it is much quicker to roll a cart to the line, shoot stage, show clear, flag, move cart to berm, and re place PCC in cart (muzzle pointed at and immediately near berm)

most of the DIY multi gun carts used at the match had downward angled racks similar to mine, and did not receive any negative comments (I'd rather get shot in the foot, and not in the head).... for a club that does not shoot multi gun, the transition to a cart may take a little longer on the learning curve

The method of cartage should have no effect on stage efficiency. De-bag, de-cart, de-whatever back in the appropriate area, vertical-ize the carbine and politely wait while the on-deck shooter does their make ready routine. At RIC, step into the start position, do your final visualization and make ready when ordered, shoot the stage, and ULASC_ICHDF, shoulder the carbine and go watch scoring. Sign/Tap the scores and go back to the appropriate area to re-bag, re-cart, re-whatever.  It takes no more time that a pistol shooter (except maybe for fumbling with the chamber flag :rolleyes: ). There is zero need to do the un-stowing / stowing on the stage. This is how I manage the carbine at local matches and the last 2 area matches I shot were heading in that direction also.

Later,

Chuck

PS: I use a cart with a scabbard. :P

48 minutes ago, robertg5322 said:

I've gone with the scabbard for now. 

For no specific reason.

I use a cart for outdoor matches but a scabbard at indoor matches.  Not enough room to maneuver carts and the scabbard is much faster for bagging and unbagging compared to a zippered full size bag.

Bill

The scabbard us attached to the cart, I'm in California, so all outdoors. 

I just un-scabbard against at berm and go to the line with the muzzle up. As stated, it should take no more time than an Open shooter.

Edited by robertg5322
Clarification.

Many of us use carts as we started in 3-gun and it is hard to carry everything needed without one. Our only concern is that with the muzzle up when and if you tilt the cart to move it you are sweeping everyone including yourself. Even with the chamber flag and all it is deceiving and disconcerting to have a muzzle pointed at you. We all have them angled or pointed down. Most of us bring the cart to start area and take it out muzzle down or to the berm to remove  so you do not sweep anyone trying to raise it up.

A couple of newer to rifle shooters started out with their carts this way and have since changed them to point down.

gerritm

If you look at the pic in post 1 you'll notice the rifle is almost vertical, and when you pull the cart, it actually ends up being vertical. 

Baby stroller carts are a different story.

My concern and the reason for the thread was that I repurposed an old Korean mag as the part that holds the gun in place. It's filled with epoxy and the lips are ground off so there is no way to put a round in it, but I was concerned somebody might object to a "magazine" being in the gun, despite the fact that said magazine is not capable of supplying ammo to the gun cause it's full of epoxy and has a 3 foot aluminum Rod protruding from it at an awkward angle.

Nobody came to this conclusion, so it appears my concern was unwarranted. I also asked the powers-that-be at my range and they approved of the design.

• 8 months later...

Coming from the CAS shooting sports where you carry multiple longguns (a rifle and a sg with a backup sometimes), wear a couple of pistols and need ammunition for them plus food and drink, gun carts are the only way to go. Just roll from stage to stage, the actions are always open with muzzles pointed up or down,  imo a lot easier than wrestling an ar bag, range bag with ammo and mags, lunch and a cooler. And time you lay all those range and rifle bags all over the berm you've occupied as much space as gun carts would use. My current cart is very simple and works fine.