Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal primers for Major 9

Gman57

SPP? I say yes, too soft.  I run Fed SRP in my open gun. As rifle primers go they seem softer than other rifle primers. So I imagine if you are using a 40 hammer fired gun they will be fine. But if your 40 is a really light striker sprung gun they may not be 100%. But just guessing.

12 hours ago, Gman57 said:

Sarge

Both my open and limited guns are 2011's, Why the SRP? If your worried about ignition why not MSP primers?

Just asking

I'm sure MSP would be fine too. I just started using SRP AFTER piercing some SPP early on. My loads just slightly break the round edge of fed SRP so I know it's sealing fine. Just never bothered trying anything else

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Gman57 said:

Just bought 10k of federal srp

I'll give them a whirl the sarge says they work ?

You'll be quite happy with them. To top it off they run smooth as silk through the press as well. :)

46 minutes ago, SWAT said:

I have been looking for federal small pistol primer too. Where did you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went with small rifle primers at Powder Valley, 1000 @ 30.00

Gman, are both guns hammer fired?  Single action?

I've shot 9 Major with Fed SPP, they flatten out more than Win or CCI, so I assume they would pierce easier too.  I have a lot of Fed SPP, so I've also toyed with the idea of loading Production and Open loads with them, but I load mixed brass on a 650 so Feds are not as forgiving on primer pocket variation, so I trade the Federals to Production shooters and use CCI for Open.  I had one late night session when I couldn't seem to stop crushing Feds, even blew a few up, it wasn't fun :blink:

6 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

Gman, are both guns hammer fired?  Single action?

I've shot 9 Major with Fed SPP, they flatten out more than Win or CCI, so I assume they would pierce easier too.  I have a lot of Fed SPP, so I've also toyed with the idea of loading Production and Open loads with them, but I load mixed brass on a 650 so Feds are not as forgiving on primer pocket variation, so I trade the Federals to Production shooters and use CCI for Open.  I had one late night session when I couldn't seem to stop crushing Feds, even blew a few up, it wasn't fun :blink:

I find when I crush primers generally have a pocket is not  sized properly or the primer has flipped sideways in the machine.

My match guns are hammer fired and I do not mix my match and every day ammo.

G