Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on a new optic?

5-56mm

Just a little background on me, I live in Texas and shoot mostly outlaw-type matches that have more intermediate and long range targets than close up hoser bay type stuff.  I've been running a Burris XTR II 1-5 with the mil reticle, but want to upgrade to at least 6x on the top end.  8x would be even better, and I've been waiting on some reviews of the new XTR II 1-8 that just came out.  To be honest, I really feel that Burris missed the mark by releasing the FFP option with another cheesy BDC reticle. The dot reticle in the SFP 1-8x actually looks like the better option of the two, but SFP in an 8x scope is a big disadvantage.  I like the capped and uncapped options on the XTR, but feel like the SFP option would not work well because a lot of shooting would be done in the 4-6 power range because of field of view issues and loosing targets with too much magnification.

SO, I'm considering 2 options within my budget: The gold standard Vortex HDII with mil reticle, or the Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum with mil reticle.  Seeking some guidance here, but is the extra 2x going to be a help or a hinderance?   

Certainly, the wide field of view and the simplicity of the Vortex reticle is something to think about.  The PA circle dot is bright and a good option on the low end, with clearly marked 2 mil increment drops and 1 mil windage markings on the high end.  Reticle can also be used at any power without worry becasue it's FFP.

A lot of you here shoot a lot more comps than I do, so I value any input you may provide.

For a large number of folks, the extra 2 or 3x at the top is going to hurt more than help.  More weight, less eye relief and a smaller FOV at the high mag.  Unless you are consistently shooting targets out past 500 yards, staying at 1-5 or 1-6 is likely a better choice.

A lot of folks miss the fact that proper cheek weld is needed once you are past 4x and few ARs offer that, so you are looking at a stock with an adjustable cheek riser to set it correctly for you.

I own the Razor HD 1-6 and it is a great 3 Gun scope for the money.  99.9% of the time it's on either 1x or 6x.  I really want to try a 1-8 but only shooting out to say 400yds it seems unnecessary.  I wish the magnification dial was less stiff.... it's hard even with a throw lever.....

T

On 12/19/2016 at 9:47 PM, CharlieD said:

The Razor 1-6 made me love shooting my rifle, it's simply amazing.  I also love the cleanliness of the JM1 reticle.

I totally agree.  It's pure red dot magic on 1x and crystal clear

T

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 8:17 AM, Tattoo said:

I own the Razor HD 1-6 and it is a great 3 Gun scope for the money.  99.9% of the time it's on either 1x or 6x.  I really want to try a 1-8 but only shooting out to say 400yds it seems unnecessary.  I wish the magnification dial was less stiff.... it's hard even with a throw lever.....

T

You can easily make it easier to turn, just loosen the set screw and slide the mag ring back exposing the o-rings underneath.  if you take a rag and remove some of the grease, the ring will be easier to turn.  Nubs has an instructional video on youtube on exactly this

5 hours ago, CMV said:

You can easily make it easier to turn, just loosen the set screw and slide the mag ring back exposing the o-rings underneath.  if you take a rag and remove some of the grease, the ring will be easier to turn.  Nubs has an instructional video on youtube on exactly this

Hey thanks for the tip!  I will check out the video

T

On 1/5/2017 at 2:16 PM, CMV said:

Can you provide a link?  Spent some time searching youtube to no avail...

You might also take a look at the Leupold VX-6 with firedot BDC. The dot is green and not as bright as the Razor, but I have found it bright enough and extremely light. Very clear glass and you can save a bit of coin over the Razor. 

How far away are the longest shots in the matches you do?  I kind of wanted something with more magnification, but during my post-season assessment realized that not one of the 3gun matches in my area had shots past 130 yards this past season.  For that, 4x is more than enough.  For the price, the Steiner P4Xi is hard to beat for my circumstances.  The reticle is very similar to the Razor HD II 1-6x JM1 that so many people are very fond of and it's lighter and daylight bright (very hard to find daylight bright reticles at it's pricepoint).  The other thing to remember is that if you zoom too far, you're going to spend valuable time searching for targets instead of shooting them.

Your circumstances may be different though.  If you need to reach out a lot further, then you may be able to justify the extra magnification and I don't have any experience past 1-4x scopes, so I can't help there.

Edited by fbzero

I have shot well with 1-4s out to 600 yards in matches.  If I never shot past 130 yards, I would not even bother with a 1-4.  With a little practice, I can get folks hitting all 10s and Xs on NRA high power targets out to 600 yards with 1-4s...plenty for almost all 3Gun matches, especially if targets are 4MOA or larger.

1 minute ago, MarkCO said:

I can get folks hitting, out to 600 yards with 1-4s... if targets are 4MOA or larger.

I've had trouble with an inexpensive scope at 300 yards staying on a 4MOA target.    :wacko:

From what I've been reading here the past few years, I guess a very sharp, clear

scope would make a world of difference.    :bow:

I will always take better glass over higher magnification.  A $2K scope is nice and will be clear at high mag.  A $350 1-6 won't even be close and will be beat by an optic with better glass in a 1-4.  

3 hours ago, MarkCO said:

I will always take better glass over higher magnification.  A $2K scope is nice and will be clear at high mag.  A $350 1-6 won't even be close and will be beat by an optic with better glass in a 1-4.  

I've been thinking this myself lately. Looked through a few buddies high end 4-16x, 5-20x and 5-25x scopes and at the lowest magnification they look far better than all the sub $600 1-4x/6x at max magnification that I've looked through.  It has me thinking that the Steiner P4xi with all its great reviews regarding glass quality and daylight bright dot might be something worth testing. 

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

It has me thinking that the Steiner P4xi with all its great reviews regarding glass quality and daylight bright dot might be something worth testing. 

Excellent optic!

The p4xi has great glass and yes its daylight bright. It's what the razor would be if it was a 1-4. They are very similar wIth the exception of the magnification. To me it's the best value variable power optic on the market in its price range. 

Edited by bwikel

19 minutes ago, bwikel said:

The p4xi has great glass and yes its daylight bright. It's what the razor would be if it was a 1-4. They are very similar wIth the exception of the magnification. To me it's the best value variable power optic on the market in its price range. 

Excellent, that's what I was hoping it would be. I can't bring myself to spend Razor money and it's heavier than I care for. The new PST G2 1-6x is just as heavy too.

Update:

I picked up a Razor HD 1-6 with the Mil reticle.  Absolutely love this scope!  Finally got to the range today and put some rounds on steel out to 400 yards. It was really easy to see the hits, I think the uncluttered reticle has something to do with that.   I am truly impressed with the field of view, the clarity of the glass and the simplicity of the reticle.  Illumination is really nice too.

Thanks for all the input, folks!

On 1/12/2017 at 9:56 PM, 5-56mm said:

Can you provide a link?  Spent some time searching youtube to no avail...

I cant find it either. 

If you remove and throw lever and look at the power ring, there is a small screw in it.  Remove that screw and the ring will slide toward the rear of the scope, revealing two rubber o-rings.  Take a rag and wipe a good portion of the grease from the two o-rings and then reassmble.  this made my power ring about 30-40% easier to turn.