Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best RMR for home/carry

davsco

I am looking at the Trijicon RMR on a Glock 19 MOS.  Their "always on / dual illuminated" have amber or green dots, and their battery ones have red.

Always on and no batteries sounds better, but wondering if the green or amber washes out at all vs the red?

Also, their adjustable battery operated ones say they can be left at the #4 setting and last FOUR years.  Anyone have an confirmation of that, and is #4 bright enough if the gun was needed for a hd/sd scenario without time to crank it up?

Any other thoughts?  Another brand/model that would be better for home/carry or have the dot sit lower on the slide?  I would also play with this gun in Carry Optics.  thanks!

I know some tactical guys that run the RMR07, they prefer the battery over the dual illum version. They change the battery on their birthday every year as preventative maintenance.  On the brightness, not totally sure what level they keep but the 07 has an auto adjust feature.

I would definitely not get the dual illuminated for home defense. It totally washes out in certain light conditions such as if you're in a dark room and shining a flashlight on the target. 

I used to have an RM02 and it worked well. Quick to adjust with the auto adjustment. I think the battery is supposed to last something like 2 years, but will probably last even longer if it's sitting in a dark room most of the time. The adjustable LED models can also be set to the auto adjust mode.

How many brightness levels do the adjustable ones have? Usually I've found when citing battery life manufacturers use a mid setting which is not really bright enough for most uses. But who really cares if the battery lasts 2 vs. 4 years. Either is still a long time and batteries are relatively cheap.

I recently had an opportunity to put the 2.5 MOA Delta point pro next to my RM07 (I should have gotten the 3.5 MOA dot). My next M&P is getting the Delta point pro. Bigger clearer glass and thinner housing give it a much better view and never having to remove it for battery changes makes it the clear winner for me. My only issue is its going to sit taller so it's probably going to need a .385"-.400" tall front sight to work with the DP pro rear so holster fitment can be an issue. If you're stuck on the RMR, there are set backs for all, so pick your poison. I opted for the adjustable, but I hear you can get the auto adjust to not auto adjust if you don't like it. The dual illuminated seems great, but I've used ACOGs and their earlier reflex sight and wasn't real impressed with the brightness at dark and other situations but it seems they have gotten much better since then. If you're using it for defence you should probably have cowittnessable BUIS with at least a tritium front so if the dot's not there or too dim in certain situations you still have sights making those few situations a smaller issue.

Just my $0.02

P.S. I would get a regular 19 and have the slide cut or get a pre cut slide for your optic for carry purposes. But once you cut it your stuck with your choice of glass.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

RM01 is what I run on a work gun. The self-regulating brightness has never left me wanting to change it manually, it adjusts quickly to changing light conditions. The DeltaPoint has better glass for sure, and the top-loading battery is nice, but having to constantly adjust the brightness is a PITA. I also like the lower profile of the RMR. 

i am leaning towards the rm07.  didn't care for the non-battery ones indoors at all and battery life on the 07 seems pretty good.

follow up question - how hard is it to 'find the dot?"  i had to turn the dot sideways on my open gun to be able to pick it up quickly, the trijicons look like they might sit a little lower but not lower than a sideways cmore.  thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Your follow up question, how good is your index? If you have good muzzle awareness and can point well, it'll be there, if not it won't. True cowittnesed irons can help you find the dot easier and there are several options to have cowittnesed irons.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

If you're going to use an optic for your HD gun and/or a carry gun, you really ought to consider competing with an optic for the extra reps.

Lots of dry-fire practuce with a carry optics gun would help out with your indexing skills on a home defense gun with an optic.

I have the dual illuminated RMRs on two of my CZs.  One amber, one green.  The green one is bad to disappear if I'm in a low light area "looking" into a more brightly lit area.  I can still see the amber dot, either way.  I've read of one other person saying it's the opposite for him, he can see the green dot easier in those conditions.

In the house, day or night, I have no trouble seeing the dot, either one.

I have back up iron sights on my pistols in case I can't see the dot (probably won't be in the house shooting at anything outside through the windows anyway).

I have a DP Pro on a smaller CZ 75 Compact for my wife.  She really likes it.  So far it's used up the original battery (no idea how old it was) and the replacement has been in it for a couple months or so.  It really doesn't get handled much but does go on a road trip once a month so the instant on feature probably keeps the sight "on" for about 10 or 11 hours that weekend.  That DP Pro is the dot model.  I also go a triangle model for her to try and she didn't really like it vs. the dot.

• 3 weeks later...

For those using dual illuminated, what dot size is best? Will going larger on the dot size allow for more useable light transfer in lower light conditions? I was planning on an amber dot in 9 moa. 

• 6 months later...

Late reply, but I am using the 9 MOA green dot dual illuminated in Carry Optics.  I feel that it is plenty precise for USPSA out to 50 yards.

As others have said, if the target is lit up and there's no ambient light, the dot gets washed out.  These situations include weapon mounted lights and shooting at indoor ranges.

For that reason I am looking to get a battery powered RMR.  Since I'm good with the 9 MOA, I'll probably get the RM07 which is the 6.5 MOA manually adjustable model.  

I shot a Glock with the RM06 last weekend and it was fine, but I felt it was a bit too small of a dot (3.25 MOA).  To see it better I had to crank up the brightness which makes it hard to stay focused on the target, for me.  It grabs my attention too much and I find myself looking at the dot when it's super bright.