Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of quitting. Talk me out of it.

AzShooter

It's been a long year of shooting.  I started back in January from a 4 year layoff and thought I could jump right in even though I'm a bit handicapped now.

I tried ICORE a couple of times but I can't move my wheelchair across the local ranges.  Too many rocks.  I had a caregiver that would push me around but she's gone.

So, I started shooting the local Steel Challenge Matches.   It's a lot of fun but I haven't improved any since my first match.   I plan on shooting it still but with my Ruger Mark III and sometimes with my Model 617 for fun.

I've got a  929 that is all  tricked out.  Over 100 moon clips and an addition 50 TKCustom moons plus loading tools.  A great Ernie Hill Speed Holster and a lot of accessories.

I'm thinking of selling it all and if anyone buys it I'll then sell my 650.

9929 in Ernie Hill Holster 650mb.jpg

I can relate with your situation, I've only been shooting competitively for 3 years now and I wasn't physically capable to keep up with most of the people. I would get upset with myself after every match. I could only gage my performance with stages that didn't have any movement, which would frustrate me more if I screwed that up! I learned then that I just to make it fun and take the good with the bad. I had both my hips replaced early this year and thought that i was going to come back and kill it... That didn't happen [emoji38]. I have gotten better and have even bumped up to B class in USPSA in Revo. Shooting was really the only activity that I had that made me happy. I've shot with you before at PRG and if you make to there or even Avery, and I would be glad to help you.

45 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

Don't sell the gun... you can always come back if you have the pistol. 

^^^^^^   I have to agree    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you don't need the money, give it a little longer - take your time - take a break and see if you change your mind.

Easier to get back into it if you keep your equipment - it won't go bad :) 

I agree with those suggesting you take a break for awhile and see if your enthusiasm returns. I'd also suggest you check with your local healthcare retailers to see what size wheel/tire combinations are available for your wheelchair. The right combination may make it easier to get around the range. 

It doesn't sound like you're giving up, just finding something more suited to your situation.  Nothing wrong with adjusting things to still be competitive and get more for your entertainment dollar.  You're having fun shooting Steel Challenge and if you focus on that then you will probably see more improvement.

16 hours ago, AzShooter said:

So, I started shooting the local Steel Challenge Matches.   It's a lot of fun but I haven't improved any since my first match.   I plan on shooting it still but with my Ruger Mark III and sometimes with my Model 617 for fun.

The key word here is "Fun".

AzShooter...Just thought I'd let you know I've enjoyed reading and learning from your experience and past posts...especially the 929.  Thanks for your contributions to the game.  

Edited by Batmo

Old and in the Way.

That's how I feel some times.  I met you at the AZ Revolver Championships last month.  After the match I was talking to some folks about that steel stage with the Texas star that had hard cover in all 4 quadrants.  My time was 65 seconds with 2 plates hiding for a total of 75 seconds.  The two shooters I was talking to were wondering how they could go faster.  I asked their times and they said 45 seconds.  I said that;s pretty good twice as fast as me.  They pointed out the stage winner shot in in 22 seconds (I believe). Twice as fast as them!

I'll never get to that 22 seconds and perhaps I could get to 45 but I'm turning 70 this year.  My time is running out.  I'll never be fast enough to win.

I also tell everyone that it takes me about a year to get a new revolver running well for a match.  Gun work, sight work, Holsters and equipment the load work up.  That's all a combination of my ability, time spend practicing and money available.

And I conclude that I am getting better every day.  I'm having fun.  And I'm running out of time.  And the same it true of everyone.  I have so much fun at matches, meet and shoot with the most wonderful people in the world.  Some day I'll win my class (D).  If it wasn't fun I would give it up.

Good afternoon Sir.

I had to reply to this, just cause I'm a pig headed human, don't give up.

You probably have a lot of money in your toys, and a lot of effort has been put in. if you really are not having fun, then just wait a while and see what happens.

I have had the great pleasure of shooting with a guy from Michigan who is in a wheel chair, he still plays as best as he can, and seems to have fun, but I think a lot of his attitude is just to come out and play, and see his friends. We shoot Action Pistol, and at the range in Michigan is not the most easy to move around in a chair, but all of the shooters pitch in and make it happen. The hardest event is the Barricade, cause the area for the shooter was never designed to allow for a chair, but with a little alteration of his position we can make it work, safely and so he can compete.

As my wife is very sick and will never get better, I sort of get your thoughts, but for me, my thoughts are never give up or give in. you can still have fun, but if competition and winning are all you are thinking about, then that's a different story. in my case, my best friend Kevin A, who won the Bianchi Cup in 2014, is always on my ass. but he does understand that for me I shoot for fun, and then score, I know that unless I win the lottery, I will never have the time to put into the shooting sports, I work for my self, and look after my wife, so it's all about the fun.

No matter what, all the shooters I have met in my 35 years of playing, are all willing to help, and figure out how to make it work for anybody, the range can be an issue, but I have never not been able to help those who need it.

The rules in most sports we play at can be altered to allow for those who are challenged a bit, to insure safety and loads of fun.

Please think about it, FUN is still FUN, and a day at the range no matter what the issue, is always fun, shooting and seeing friends, how can you lose.

Hope this helps and makes you think.

J. Russell Bryan

Canadian Shooter of all that's fun.   

This malaise will pass.  Keep your gear for at least as long as you took off for recovery.  Shoot fun matches.  

Most important, find a friend to shoot with.  it will be more fun for you both and help keep you motivated.  The joy will carry into your non-shooting endeavors too.

Persevere.  Gains come from disciplined effort over time.  The joy is always in the little victories over adversity.

Don't quit shooting just yet.  just quit judging yourself so harshly.  

AZ Shooter-

Life can get frustrating and discouraging at times. Been there, done that. Probably will again. I have found over the years that the best win is a good time with friends. In the end, the people, good friends and family is all that really matters. I have won a few matches, but the friends and good memories mean more to me than the trophies. 

I second what Russell and toolguy said. I'm the guy in the Wheelchair from Michigan. I've met both these guys through shooting and many more good to have fun and meet people. Some people play cards others shoot. I'm not a good shot either but have fun and enjoy the people I shoot with who are always able to help
Plus I shoot with my dad so he has someone to beat![emoji38]

One more thing I forgot az shooter you can shoot bullseye and ppc with no movement. My friend who I shoot with here in Michigan winters in AZ. They shoot several action pistol tune up matches there. If you're interested I can find out where he shoots I know its a big range and Rob Lathem shoots there in the winter. If you'd like to pick my brain let me know. Been in the chair since 1991.

Missed it

Thank you.  Rob shoots at Rio Salado.  That's one of the hardest ranges for me to get around in.  The range itself is covered with small rock that my wheelchair won't go over.  There is a large hill between the bays that is very difficult for me to climb.

I have an open mind, but for now I thing Steel Challenge is the way I will continue.  I like it and the people I'm shooting with.  Some will help me when I need it to move around.  They all remember me before I go sick and that's a good thing.

Guess I'm just going to halve to tough it up and bear with it.  Have as much fun as I can and not worry about the final outcome of the day.

I do  want to thank everyone for their comments.  It's helping me a lot.

Steel challenge is fun and we enjoy it every month.

I can relate to how you feel, I raced motocross for over 20 years, and I took several breaks from the sport " usually due to injuries" . I once sold all my gear and bike and had to turn back around a year later and buy it again. I was a competitive racer, but as I got older and started racing in the +30 and later +40 class and just went racing for fun, I enjoyed it a lot more.

I've shot with you before @ RIO..... I'm 75 and my "goal" is NOT to be "last"...... If I am last,  the "goal" is not to be "last" at the next match. Yes, bay 3 has the little rise. . Try the Sunday monthly 22 pistol match @ RIO....No holster, weaver table start 5 or 6 plates x 5 strings, so the 617 will be fine (that re-loader/moon clip rig is great as you need at least 5 reloads per stage. See ya, Mike.

Howdy-

I can relate. Though I am not wheelchair bound, I developed what is currently thought to be a Vestibular Disorder in the spring of this year.  Have not been able to work since, have my last scheduled Rehab appointment this week after being told that after as many visits as I've had, if I was going to improve further, we would have seen it by now. I was ordered to use a cane for balance, as I have had many falls since onset .I know that I'm not as bad off as many , BUT>>> any kind of "shoot and scoot" competition is currently out of the question, as it is unsafe for me to participate. Shooting my rifles from a bench ( like at Ben Avery) - have not attempted as getting my stuff to the line, and setting targets 100 or 200 yards away is , again, too much of a test currently. Heck, at the indoor range I use, I lean against the partitions on each side to get some kind of shooting done, as I realize I am now a target for predatory miscreants who see a chance at maybe a quick buck or two ( about all I carry now ).

What to do? I did sell the Glock 34 I'd gotten dressed out for Production *( after swapping Glock Factory parts back in ; shall sell the DK trigger set up separately , may cut down the BarStow customer fit barrel down and thread it, depending ) I have sold some "extra" CAS guns, but still have my "originals" . I have the S&Ws that I like to shoot for training, ( a couple for showing off, like the out Royce Weddle PPC gun that drives tacks ), and a stable of 1911s . I have rifles whose fates are to be determined. I know that in my current situation, when gone, they cannot be replaced. I guess that is the point of this post- be sure before you sell your guns.I don't plan on learning to play cards.