Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 9mm open major using 147's until I get a 2011

Part_time_redneck

Good day all,

First let me apologize for my mistakes using this forum. This is my first time posting so please bear with me. I am just hoping for a little information / opinions and the vast majority of people here seem very well informed and eager to help.

I began shooting USPSA / SC with a Glock 34. It was fun at first but now I am completely addicted. For SC I also built a rim fire open pistol and then a rifle. I enjoyed the pistol so much I decided to move into open with my Glock to get my feet wet before purchasing a 2011 style gun. Have only ran factory loads thus far but as is always, I want more ( major PF ). I have 115g ( for minor ) & 124g MG JHP's, new starline brass ( for major ) & 1 lb each of WAC, 3N37, & 3N38. My plan was to experiment to find a good minor load for steel then see how brave I feel about tackling major. However plans change. The more I look through these forums, the more leery and concerned I grow about loading 9 for major. 

So, right now Glock 34 9 with Lone Wolf SS barrel, Jäger 4 port comp, 11 lb recoil spring. Currently running Fiocchi 115g FMJ, chronos at AV of 1200 fps. Gun runs 99.5%. Every 200 rds or so 1 FTE. ( Naturally always in the middle of a stage ). VV list one published load I can find that makes major. 147g Hornady HP with 3N38. 6.3 = 1171 fps Max is 6.9 = 1207  

While I understand this load would be nowhere near optimal, would it be a decent / safe temporary alternative until I procure my next open gun? My reasoning is that now with the 115 factory ammo the comp is not being utilized enough and even with the 147, the 3N38 would help the compensator work. Also, working with published load data seems like it would make it less nerve wracking to break a shot. Even the low end with the 147 makes 172 PF. 

Finally, just shopping for opinions now. For a new open gun your recommendation? I am leaning toward a 2011 style pistol and while I am prepared to pay for it, money is still an object. Any opinions on the STI DVC open? 

Thoughts, ideas; any and all are greatly appreciated.

Sorry to ramble on so much and thanks in advance.

i think 124's are better then 147's imo. i've only used hs6 for major in 9mm. i'm not the most experienced when it comes to this stuff so what i Say take with a grain of salt. as far as guns i've got the chance to shot the DVC and TruBor i like the TroBor more. used guns seem to be a very good option. if i was gonna spend the money for a DVC i'd get a ck.

Edited by duffdawg

Don't be leery of 9 major, just be cautious and learn as you go.  You want to safely get the experience and that is why people encourage caution.  It sure is hard to argue with all the success 9 major is having and has had.  Learn as much as you can and decide for yourself.  Just make sure to look at things objectively.  

A Lone Wolf barrel may not be my first pick, but I think guys are using them with some level of success.

If you are considering a DVC then get a CK.

30 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Don't be leery of 9 major, just be cautious and learn as you go.  

If you are considering a DVC then get a CK.

Two great points! 9MAJOR isn't voodoo but it's not very forgiving if you aren't careful.

And CK ARMS for sure. 

5 hours ago, Part_time_redneck said:

1.  the more leery and concerned I grow about loading 9 for major. 

2. Currently running Fiocchi 115g FMJ . Gun runs 99.5%. Every 200 rds or so 1 FTE

3.  VV list one published load I can find that makes major. 147g Hornady HP with 3N38. 6.3 = 1171 fps Max is 6.9 = 1207  

Is it a  safe alternative until I procure my next open gun? it would make it less nerve wracking to break a shot. Even the low end with the 147 makes 172 PF. 

4. For a new open gun your recommendation?.

1.  When I got into 9mm Major, ten years ago, I was also leery re: reloading 9mm Major.   Back then, it

was still new territory.   Fortunately for me, many had blazed the path before me, and I started out

loading to PF 155, and then gradually, over the course of months, increased that to PF 168 - 172,

with the aid of a chronograph.    As mentioned above, in 2016, loading 9mm Major is NOT anything

to sweat - I'd be much more worried loading heavy .40 bullets to Major with fast powders.  Just start

low, go slow and don't forget the chrono.

2.  Before you go any further, I'd suggest you get that down to 99.9999% .    You should NOT have a

FTE every 200 rounds.   Identify and correct the problem, now.    My guess is it ONE of your mags

is not functioning correctly, or you are under/over sprung - but whatever the problem is, do NOT

accept it.   My TruBor runs perfectly, every time, unless I need a new spring (assuming the gun

is clean and well lubricated.

3.  Stick with the 124's. The three powders are all fine to get started with - I use WAC.   Start out at

5.5 grains with your 124 gr MG JHP's at 1.16", or so.   That should get you started out.  As you

build confidence with that load, work up slowly, with the chrono to PF 165+.  The 147's are great

for 9mm Minor, but the 124's are much better for 9mm Major.

4.   You cannot beat a TruBor for value - I own two of them - love them.   Buy one, worked on a bit

by Brazos for about $2600 and put a slide racker on it - POW, you're ready to shoot in one week.

BTW,  Welcome to the Forums, and good luck - hope you enjoy OPEN as much as I have.    :bow:

Thank you all so much for all the input. I appreciate the help. 

I have purchased a chrono as I would never even think about going into something like this blind. Without hard numbers you're just in the dark. Naturally I would love to load the 124's to major, just a bit gun shy now hence our conversation. The only reason I was considering the 147's temporarily was because of VV having the load data published. Little warm fuzzy feeling. I'm going to try the 124's later and definitely err on the side of caution, working up slowly and plenty of test rounds.

Most of my parts have came from Bobby Carver and in speaking with him the few FTE's I have are due to too soft a load (factory) with the Jäger 4 port comp. I also have one of his 2 ports and with this it runs 100% with factory loads. I just changed back to the 4 port to begin this testing. I also purchased the LW barrel before I spoke with him and although we didn't discuss it, the majority of the pistols he builds, especially for major come equipped with KKM barrels. Again the old problem, a new Glock barrel is money that could have been put toward a 2011.

Not time to tally votes yet ( someone might want a recount ) but looks like the popular vote leans toward a Trubor or CK arms open pistol.  

Again guys, thanks for taking the time out of your day for the advise. 

Welcome to the forum!  You have the perfect powder for 9 Major, you have nothing to fear, load 'em up!

If you look under 9x21, VV also has a book load which makes major with a 115:

115gr JHP at 1.161" over 9.4gr is listed at 171PF.

You probably can't load that long in your G34 without reaming the throat, but the good new is if you load shorter it won't take as much powder, that combined with the long barrel on your gun I wouldn't be surprised if you made Major with less than nine grains.

In my opinion 3N38 under a 115 is as good as it gets for 9 major, but if you insist on using a 124, it will take about a grain less.

I can tell you from experience it's impossible to blow up a 9mm with 3N38 under a 115, I've loaded 10gr ? although once you get over 9.6-9.7, velocity starts to drop.

I have experience with three CK Arms  and Freedom Gunworks and have had no issues. Matt Cheely has always been there to answer any question promptly and offer advise. I feel they are cut above STI, just my opinion. Almost everyone I speak to uses 124 grain in there open guns.

Thanks for all the input guys. About to get started but in taking my time and trying to think this through I have another hurdle to clear regarding OAL and bullet seating depth. With the 124's the max OAL I can currently get is 1.065. Take off 0.015 for some play for actual loads and I'm left with a working OAL of 1.050. Very short. The 115's I have are almost identical at 0.005 longer ( OAL ). I'm thinking now of sending the barrel back to Lone Wolf for reaming. 

Here's the question. If I use this 124 / brass combination and assemble at 1.150 OAL the bullet seating depth is 0.171. Is this sufficient or should I start with an OAL closer to 1.120 which would seat the bullet 0.201 in the case? 

The problem is exaggerated with the 115's as the bullets are 0.021 shorter than the 124's. 115's assembled at 1.150 = seating depth of 0.155. 

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for the help. I've tried to search but while there is a lot on OAL, seating depth info is not as readily available. 

After this next step. I have my welding gloves and blast shield; just need my flack jacket back from dry cleaners and start shooting. 

Thanks for gun opinions. I'm leaning toward a Trubor or CK, just have to determine a price ceiling I can get to without the wife neutering me. 

At 1.150 you should have plenty of bullet in the case IF your brass is getting resized properly. Some size dies are better at this than others. I use a Lee size die and have tons of case tension with 115s loaded out to 1.175.

Make a couple dummy rounds at the required seat depth and check for case neck tension. If it's insufficient look at getting a U-die.

Edited by js1130146

• 4 weeks later...

Done. At major now. After experimenting with the 3N38 and WAC and trying both 115's & 124's we have a load. I decided on the 3N38 & 115's  MG JHP's. 9.1g loaded at an OAL of 1.140 with CCI SPP averages 1460 fps making just under 168 PF. Loads are very consistent and gun runs perfectly with them. 

I also made major with the 3N38 & 124's at @ 8.4g. I also worked with Autocomp, but stopped before major as it was noticeably harsher shooting. 

Something I found amazing was how much softer the 115's were than the 124's. I knew to expect this, but until firing both I had no idea the result was so profound. The other surprise was when I reached the point and felt the compensator begin to work. While somewhere in the lower 8g range as I went up 0.2 g it happened. Kind of took me by surprise as I hadn't experienced that before. At 9.1g it shoots as flat as my 22/45 SC pistol. 

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tips & advise. 

I have 3 CK Arms and 2 Freedom Gunworks handguns.  Not one problem with any of them.  If you have any questions on purchasing a new gun give Bobby a call at Freedom Gunworks.  He will be happy to help you.