Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dealing with astigmatism

cmalin06

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but looking for advice from those that shoot a Reddot and also have astigmatism.  I want to venture out into the open world, but on certain reddots the dot splits and I see like a cluster of dots.  

Are there any any particular ways to correct or accomadate this?

I have astigmatism and my contacts don't correct all of the red dot distortion.  Honestly, though, I don't even notice it while I'm shooting.

C-More's seem to have more of a "round" dot than some of the others I've used, but I'm currently using 2.5MOA Deltapoint Pro's on my open guns.  The dot is small enough that even the "cluster" is smaller than a normal 6MOA C-More.

I have a wicked astigmatism. This is one reason why I have to use a red dot. The eyes aren't what they used to be 30 years ago. I use a c-more and I have no issues, or I don't notice any issues.

i am assuming that the glasses you wear while shooting are corrected for astigmatism. 

Edited by abb1

On 12/6/2016 at 10:02 PM, cmalin06 said:

Not sure if this is the proper thread, but looking for advice from those that shoot a Reddot and also have astigmatism.  I want to venture out into the open world, but on certain reddots the dot splits and I see like a cluster of dots.  

Are there any any particular ways to correct or accomadate this?

I have an astigmatism in my right eye along with a cataract, and they cause me to see three dots. As a result I shoot by using the Three Stooges approach. I use the dot in the middle. :D 

Did you hear about the Asian lady who went to the eye doctor?

The Optometrist examined her and said, "Madam, you have a cataract."

The Asian lady replied, "Oh no doctor. I have a rincoln."

Edited by MikieM

just throw that cluster of grapes in the A-zone and shoot!

It's a rare target that requires any more precision than this.

And one of the reasons I use a dot scope only for rimfire steel challenge.

Very big targets, close distances and a hit anywhere counts.

With my astigmatism, for other games a good set of clear iron sights is actually better.

A thin, tall front with a wide notch rear that allows plenty of light around the front sight.

Prescription glasses made things worse, couldn't see the targets much at all.

But to each their own, especially when it comes to eyesight problems.

• 2 months later...

I had an EOTech mounted on an AR.  I saw two dots, not one.  I zeroed on one of them, but it was easy to forget which one once the buzzer sounded. I moved to an HD Razor, and am much better off.  The EOTech has gone onto an M&P .22, which I will begin using in Steel Challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this looking at a squad mates vortex red dot. Bunch of grapes. My cmore rts2 8moa is a nice round dot as is my cmore slideride in 6, 8 and 12 moa. 

I find the cheaper red red dots do the bunch of grapes thing. Better ones like cmore don't. 

I also find find using a bigger Moa dot helps. When using a 2-4 moa dot turned up bright it goes bunch of grapes. Get a nice big 8 Moa dot and even with your messed up eyes you'll get a nice round dot. 

Exactly what the Baron said!  I see a cluster on the Venom and a single dot with the Viper. 3 moa vs 6 moa same manufacturer.

That said, the cluster worked just fine on plates and steel.  The 6 moa feels too big on a target at 25, but still pulls a pretty nice group.

I have had cataracts removed from both eyes in the last 2 yrs. Astigmatism in left eye was corrected with regular lens. Right eye I opted out of the $2K extra for the lens which fixes the astigmatism and had the regular on installed. Still have it to a lesser degree. Right eye came out 20/20, left is 20/60ish. No more fuzzy dot. Might be something to look into? YMMV