Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot & Scoot format

Tizzo

Does anyone have any recommendations for using Practiscore with a shoot & scoot format? Currently we're unable to score directly into the tablet due to the constant flow of shooter signing up while others are shooting. So we currently score on paper and then transfer that to the tablet. While the competitors are shooting a member of the staff is entering shooters into the tablet from multiple paper sign-in sheets.

Any ideas on how to make this more efficient would be appreciated.

Thanks

Use multiple tablets...  Keep one for registration only and add new shooters whenever you want...  Sync the scoring tablets from the registration tablet during the match to grab new shooters...  No paper required!

The newest version of PractiScore has a button to sync directly from the master tablet from the shooters screen...  Pretty cool...

Android. Shooters are able to choose which stage to shoot when, no squads.

So the issue is getting shooters into the scoring tablet accurately. I've found if there's a misspelling I will get duplicates. Also, the flow of shooters is such that I don't have the ability to hop into the bays and sync the tablets so that all new shooters are on the scoring tablets.

6 hours ago, Tizzo said:

Also, the flow of shooters is such that I don't have the ability to hop into the bays and sync the tablets so that all new shooters are on the scoring tablets.

we teach the more experienced regular shooters how to sync. We've been running our weeknight steel matches like this for years. A nook on each stage, and a master ipad in the shed. I enter folks on the ipad, and the folks at the stages sync whenever they need to. syncing is not rocket surgery. if you show a couple people how to do it, they can show others.

Can you possibly get folks to preregister for the match? That way you could preload the scoring devices with those shooters.

Obviously you'd still need to deal with those folks that did not register ahead of time, but hopefully that would be a small number of individuals.

Do you have WiFi at the range?

Yeah, the sync is a 2-stage process. I tell people to skip syncing the scores, but it doesn't generally matter much if they do sync the scores unless someone gets on the wrong match somehow (which has actually happened, which is why I tell people to only sync the shooters, and skip syncing the scores).

Yeah, the sync is a 2-stage process. I tell people to skip syncing the scores, but it doesn't generally matter much if they do sync the scores unless someone gets on the wrong match somehow (which has actually happened, which is why I tell people to only sync the shooters, and skip syncing the scores).

Scratch that. On Android, when you lock stage or squad to device it wont be pulling in scores.

Thanks for the info guys. I mis-typed Android, I'm running Kindle Fire tablets in the scoring bays. Anything I should look out for when it comes to the registration tablet being iOS?

With ios master, you may not be able to pull from it from the shooting bays. Unless you somehow always keep it on and unlocked. As soon as screen goes off, ios device shuts down wifi for PractiScore.

With android or kindle tablet you can still sync, unless you set to turn off wifi during sleep.

On 12/10/2016 at 9:21 AM, euxx said:

Scratch that. On Android, when you lock stage or squad to device it wont be pulling in scores.

This feature works like a champ. That's what we did for the Swamp Challenge over the weekend for Friday and Saturday shooters. Locked the tablet to the stage. At lunch the RO brought tablet to stats we pulled scores and then did sync for competitor changes back to stage tablets.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:17 AM, ZackJones said:

This feature works like a champ. That's what we did for the Swamp Challenge over the weekend for Friday and Saturday shooters. Locked the tablet to the stage. At lunch the RO brought tablet to stats we pulled scores and then did sync for competitor changes back to stage tablets.

Didn't realize you were at the Swamp Challenge...  I would have looked you up...  Fun match...

On 12/14/2016 at 8:24 AM, ZackJones said:

If you came through registration that was my wife Donna and me.

My goodness...  I bought a shirt from your wife...  you registered me Friday afternoon...  and we sat next to each other Friday night at Piesano's Restaurant...  I'm the tall guy with blonde hair...  I should have introduced myself...  Anyway, it was nice to chat with you two...  :-)