Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old style SVI mag questions

user293

I've got a set of two Old style SVI 170mm mags for use in my 9 major open gun. They have Bolen followers and Taren basepads. When I got em I loaded em up to 29 ( with factory American eagle it was all I had at the time) to make sure they work and they were solid and fed fine. Now I took my reloads to the range and started loading up the mag and 9 rounds into it I got a rattle. There's still pressure on the top round. So I shot it just for giggles 10 rounds worth and no malfunctions.  One thing I noticed is the spring and follower were quite twisted ( corkscrewed actually) when I pulled em out. Would this cause the rattling? So what can I do? Tti follower and spring? If so do I use their universal follower? I don't know a lot about these old style mags so just looking for a little insight. It's no big deal to run a new spring or follower I just want reliability. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'd try new spring and follower, first.

Could be the mag is out of spec, also.

Ok  whose should I use? TTi has two followers from what I see. An Sti 9mm ( which Im Guessing is for sti mags with spacer) and an StI/SV universal follower. I just want to be sure before I buy but I'm guessing the universal is the one I want. What are the other options for these mags? There's a lot out there on the forum but it's tough to read through and find the one that works best. 

4 minutes ago, Ace38super said:

Use a 13 coil Grams with Grams 38 super follower. You will get 28 rounds with a Dawson or Grams basepad. Function will be 100%. The 9mm follower is only needed in STI mags. Glad to see you getting back into Open. 

Thanks! Yea couldn't stay away. Moved back toward the metro area and will be ready to go for next year. Hope to see ya at the range. 

1 hour ago, Ace38super said:

Use a 13 coil Grams with Grams 38 super follower. You will get 28 rounds with a Dawson or Grams basepad. Function will be 100%. The 9mm follower is only needed in STI mags. Glad to see you getting back into Open. 

this. i can get 29 barely reloadable in my old SV 170 with gram guts and dawson snl base pad. i run it at 28 though to keep stress on the grip down. it run 100%. i have found that if one uses taran springs with the SnL pad they are harder to put back together. the reason is the tarans at the bottom don't get as small as the grams and get caught in the groove that the mag lip goes into. 

13 minutes ago, user293 said:

Will the Dawson's have trouble fitting in the gauge? 

i have both a SNL and the SNL plus one. the regular SNL will make the gauge with room to spare and still hold 29. the the + 1 is a little iffy. if i really press hard on the +1 i can get the 30th round in but there is absolutely no more space to even insert the mag. 

i like the SNL's on a 170 because the flat styles get beat up pretty good when dropped. 

Edited by Sandbagger123