Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 9mm production rate w/o a BF?

I'm in the final stage of setting up my 1050 for 9mm.  Was going to move over my BF from my LNL, but I think I'm going to pass in favor of being able to inspect the powder level (and the $$ for a GSI is a bit excessive).  I've always felt a case feeder to be more beneficial than a BF, but I wonder what sort of hourly rate (exclusive of loading primers) others have achieved with a 1050.  I like the fact that the shell plate only rotates; this should make it easier faster to position the bullet in the case while inspecting.

I've never tried loading on a 1050 without a bullet feeder, so I can't answer that question.  I can, however, say that with an inexpensive upgrade ($5-$60), you can (visually) inspect the powder level AND use a bullet feeder:  

WELL worth it, in my opinion.

Hello: You should be able to do at least 500 in an hour with no bullet feeder and filling primers, brass and powder. That is a steady relaxed pace. If you get a Mr Bulletfeeder you can easily do 800 in an hour with the same filling primers, brass, bullet and powder at a relaxed pace. I don't rush when I am reloading and make sure everything is going to plan. Thanks, Eric

I have the 1050 setup for 9mm, but no BF.  I think 600-900 rounds an hour should be well within reach.  I could go faster, but I find my arm starts to tire out from operating the machine much beyond 600 rounds.  So you could get 1,000 rounds an hour or better if you have the endurance and not too many screw ups with the machine.

My biggest headache is that 380 rounds work their way into my case feeder and will cause a primer feed issue or spilled powder which requires stopping and fixing/cleaning the machine.

I don't think you need a bullet feeder unless you are loading more than 4k rounds a month (IMHO).  I would love to have Mr. BF or other, but the $$ is just too much for me at this point.

1 hour ago, Chris777 said:

I have the 1050 setup for 9mm, but no BF.  I think 600-900 rounds an hour should be well within reach.  I could go faster, but I find my arm starts to tire out from operating the machine much beyond 600 rounds.  So you could get 1,000 rounds an hour or better if you have the endurance and not too many screw ups with the machine.

My biggest headache is that 380 rounds work their way into my case feeder and will cause a primer feed issue or spilled powder which requires stopping and fixing/cleaning the machine.

I don't think you need a bullet feeder unless you are loading more than 4k rounds a month (IMHO).  I would love to have Mr. BF or other, but the $$ is just too much for me at this point.

have that problem too. This technique - youtube video below - helps cull those cases out of your stock.  This is a forum member here, also, works great. you can see the 380 cases when you look across the top of the brass at eye level, and pluck out the 380s with a small hemostat tool or such.

Also, with my 1050 and MBF loading 9mm, while the 380 case that does sneak in gets primed, the MBF won't deposit a bullet on that shorter case so that is immediately evident and I cull the case then. Yes, I have wasted a primer by that point.  Yes, you need to be paying attention. But the method above minimizes this.

Q

You can get a Hornady Seat + Crimp die for U$D 30 and use Dillon's Powder Check... that's what I do. I get rates of 1,800 rounds per hour according to my round counter. And that is with cleaned and lubricated range brass with the shittiest supplies available in a third world country!

3 hours ago, NicoR said:

You can get a Hornady Seat + Crimp die for U$D 30 and use Dillon's Powder Check... that's what I do. I get rates of 1,800 rounds per hour according to my round counter. And that is with cleaned and lubricated range brass with the shittiest supplies available in a third world country!

I do have three Seat+Crimp and I may go that route.  I've decided to go with the BF on the 1050.  I'll first try using my Redding micrometer seater and Lee FCD; if I can't figure out a way to get a good look at the powder I'll go with the combo.

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful responses.

9 minutes ago, RickT said:

I do have three Seat+Crimp and I may go that route.  I've decided to go with the BF on the 1050.  I'll first try using my Redding micrometer seater and Lee FCD; if I can't figure out a way to get a good look at the powder I'll go with the combo.

Thanks, all, for the thoughtful responses.

www.ammovision.ca

I originally tried the combo seat/crimp and didn't like it. Very inconsistent OALs. Most experienced users seem to conclude that seating and crimping (de-belling, really) are best done separately. I'm sure some here will disagree.  Good discussion of the taper crimp for 9mm at http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=78873.0

if you opt for a MBF then I suggest you forego the powder check station at station 6 and instead visually look at the case in station 6 just before the MBF deposits the bullet.   It's generally visible from the handle pull position if you lean a bit, and your press is not too high.  That's your powder check each round. The Dillon case powder check apparatus is generally a nuisance, very temperamental...IMO. Some position mirrors to look more straight into the case to see the powder. With 3.7 gr Titegroup it migh be low in case and hard to see, but with 5 gr Unique you'll see it easily....

The Lee FCD is not ideal for 9mm. It can swage cast bullets. You just want to de-flare the mouth, and for that the  Lee taper crimp die or the stock Dillon crimp die is better.  From what I see, you either hate the FCD or love it.  Again IMHO...

I ran around 800rph using an RF100.... that includes topping of primer/powder/cases/bullets, and checking a few every 100 rounds.

Added a MBF and added 200+ an hour, nice addition.  Pace is good and I can ensure powder charge has been dropped visually (9mm at least).

~g

I run between 1,000 & 1,200/hour without a BF.  I have 20 small primer tubes loaded when I start, so that part is out of the equation.  I also use the Dillon Powder Check Die, and it's saved me a time or 2 when foreign objects got into the brass...spider nests, styrofoam from the powder jug lid, etc. I have the old 1050, not the newer Super 1050, so the handle stroke is shorter than the new presses.  It may not save much time, but some I would think, along with less fatigue for the shorter stroke.

YMMV

Alan~^~