Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

benelli m2 shoots left due to choke...

target4fun

So was doing my hardest to find some ammo that shot on and found the following: @ 50 yards

Stock chokes shot 3-5 inches left 

Carlson chokes shoot 8-12 inches left

During testing by mistake i didnt realize i shot a group with no choke in gun.  this 3 shot group was center of the 10 ring at 50 yards. 

So something with chokes is throwing it off.  I have 4 new carlson chokes, and 5 stock benelli chokes.  All shoot left. 

Any help would be appreciated

Can you repeat the test with the gun securely mounted on a table shooting at a target of 1mX1m from a distance of 20 meters with cylinder benelli choke ?
Can you repeat the same procedure shooting of hand, aiming at the center of target again using a cylinder benelli choke ?
Can you repeat the second step asking a friend of yours to shoot instead of you.

Can you repeat the above shooting from your weak shoulder ? (Opposite side)

It would be Great if you could share photos of each target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quailhunter,

Yeah I had another shoot it as well and his went right in the same group as mine. To answer all of the questions above I did try all of that except shooting off hand all shots were done on a bench at 50 meters.  20 meters or closer wasnt tried but we did shoot at 70 meters at ft benning multigun match this weekend and still shot left. 

I have not shot left handed but i will try that. 

I didnt try was shooting off hand but did shoot off hand at fort benning 3 gun match this last weekend and it was still left that I can assure you.  We both managed hits by aming on right side of huge steel plate. 

I also tested with 4 different types of ammo.  3 full power and 1 reduced recoil. 

I dont really wish to shoot with out a choke as I know that will get lead in the treads but I had a 3 shot group all in one clover leaf in 10 ring when choke was removed. 

Quailhunter,

Yeah I had another shoot it as well and his went right in the same group as mine. To answer all of the questions above I did try all of that except shooting off hand all shots were done on a bench at 50 meters.  20 meters or closer wasnt tried but we did shoot at 70 meters at ft benning multigun match this weekend and still shot left. 

I have not shot left handed but i will try that. 

I didnt try was shooting off hand but did shoot off hand at fort benning 3 gun match this last weekend and it was still left that I can assure you.  We both managed hits by aming on right side of huge steel plate. 

I also tested with 4 different types of ammo.  3 full power and 1 reduced recoil. 

I dont really wish to shoot with out a choke as I know that will get lead in the treads but I had a 3 shot group all in one clover leaf in 10 ring when choke was removed. 

Puzzled here.
My first thought was that you might have been pulling the trigger too hard sending the shot to the left.
In any case continue patterning with the cylinder choke at closer distance. Try to test as many brands of cylinder chokes you can find.
Try the left - right shoulder to see if there is a difference.

If it continues I would say it is a barrel issue and perhaps see a gunsmith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The OP didn't specify what ammo he's testing but I'm assuming he's talking about slugs and it's causing some confusion in this thread. It's been my experience that slug POI can shift significantly in a smoothbore with ammo or choke changes. I'd see if all Carlson chokes shoot to a similar POI. If they do, get a 10/22 rear sight milled into the rib and sight it in for Carlson chokes.

I'd get hold of Benelli and tell them your choke is bored and threaded off center and you would like a new barrel. Of course you can keep trying all sorts of different ammo and paying a lot for all of it and then send the barrel back ;)....... me, I'd go the cheap route. Call and ask for Carter Miller

Edited by kurtm

Yeah it was with slugs.  federal, win, and federal reduced recoil.  With all 4 chokes it shoots left and all 5 benelli chokes as well.  Im calling them I think that's the smart route.  Ill let yall know how it gets solved.

Thanks all

14 hours ago, kurtm said:

I'd get hold of Benelli and tell them your choke is bored and threaded off center and you would like a new barrel. Of course you can keep trying all sorts of different ammo and paying a lot for all of it and then send the barrel back ;)....... me, I'd go the cheap route. Call and ask for Carter Miller

Called and spoke with carter.  He first told me this shotgun isn't intended to shoot with slugs only bird shot so they wont warranty based on slug issues.   Carter then me to just shoot with out a choke.  I explained that wasn't really an option for 3 gun then he told me add a 10/22 sight but I really prefer no rear sight when shooting shotgun.  Guess its preference as I see plenty top shooters shooting with and with out rear sights.  Ive also seen some world champs (not in 3gun) rip of the front sight all together so they dot get distracted by that.  While that logic wouldn't work well with slugs I was able to keep them all in same hole at 50 yards so for me rear isn't needed nor desired.  

I wish they would fix it, I dont expect a new barrel just a straight shooting one. 

And now I would pattern it very carefully with shot (buckshot some 4 or 6s and some 8s) and document it being a half pattern to the left as well and call them back. Most folks, unless they have really pattered their gun...aiming it like they would slugs.....really don't know where their pattern is in relation to the front sight.

Pretty poor response, and one of a few reasons I don't shoot for them any longer. I am surprised Carter wasn't more helpful, but he is probably constrained by corporate policy.....another reason.... ;)

Thanks for your advice I will do just that.  Hopefully I can get somewhere with it.  If it shoots off with birdshot it sounds like they will do something.  I will update this post if anything changes.  Thanks for the direction

2 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Cut the barrel, re-thread it properly?

Notice how the barrel diameter decreases behind the choke tube?   If you cut off the barrel you may not be able to retread it, definitely  not for the original choke tubes.

I would contact Benelli again. The 1st response noted above would be unacceptable to me.

Edited by GunCat

1 hour ago, GunCat said:

Notice how the barrel diameter decreases behind the choke tube?   If you cut off the barrel you may not be able to retread it, definitely  not for the original choke tubes.

I would contact Benelli again. The 1st response noted above would be unacceptable to me.

I understand that some barrels are too thin to do this.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:58 AM, target4fun said:

"I wish they would fix it, I dont expect a new barrel just a straight shooting one. "

Well I am not sure it's an option but supposedly my benelli is getting that vary issue repaired right now. My shotty is at TTI and one of the things they do is bending the barrel to be POA- POI with slugs. You might look into that service.

Edited by PaladinPrecision

Yeah I am going to shoot with bird shot as they didnt want to warranty it being off with slugs.  But if its off with bird they sounded like they would.  I am going to make a video and pics when I go out to shoot next.  Hopefully soon.  I will post here as well to show yall

• 2 weeks later...