Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 33 round magazines and extended base pad

Sorry if its been covered before but I can't find it.  Will the Taran Tactical +5 base pads work with the Glock 33 rd mags with the stock spring or will it need a longer spring.  Have run with the 33 rounders in two matches so far.  Several of the stages were a 32 round count.  At the end of those stages, I either was completely empty or had one left (Go figure???).  Luckily I did my part and did not need extra.  I just thought it would be nice to have a little insurance.  I know about the Taylor Freelance extended base pads and it may be an option.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought those springs were for the Glock 17 magazines.  I am specifically asking if there is a spring for the 33 round glock 9mm mags or if the base pad will work with the stock spring in the 33 rounders.

Hello: I have some TTI base pads coming this week for my Glock 33 round mags. What I can tell you so far is I am using stock Glock 33 round springs with Arredondo 140mm base pads and also Dawson 140mm base pads and they both work perfectly. I have used the Arredondo for years but the Dawson work also. Hopefully the TTI ones will do the same. The mags hold a very reloadable 36 rounds with some holding 37 rounds plus one to start. I like the base pads since no new spring is needed and they are reliable. The 41 round Taylor Freelance may be an option but I have heard  of some having salt shaker problems with them and also they cost a lot more than the Dawson's. The Dawson's also come off with no tools for fast cleanup. You can get all the base pads from Shooters Connection. Thanks, Eric

The stock GLOCK 33 (31+2) spring worked fine for my TTI GLOCK extensions. If you go to a Taylor Freelance 41+1 kit you need the spring they ship with the kit. I have had nothing but success with the GLOCK big stick and a Taylor Freelance base pad (41+1). I like using the TF mags when you do not expect to reload. They are a little slower to remove and therefore disassemble for cleaning than the TTI extensions. You do clean your mags when they hit the sand right? If i'm reloading on a stage, I start with either an ETS 31 round mag or a GLOCK big stick+TTI extension and reload to a downloaded ETS 31 round mag or a standard GLOCK mag with a TTI basepad (23 round, 140mm). 

Now someone needs to make a +20 extension for GLOCKS because CZC just put out their Scorpion +20 basepad. I'm so happy that I live in America and we constantly 1-up each other on bigger and bigger capacity!!! :lol:

Why are you trying to put TTI +5/6s on 33 round? Why not just get the taylor freelance for the 33 rd making them 41 round and use the TTI for the glock 17 mags?

The TF comes with a tuned spring for the 33rd mags. No point in getting anything else right now.

Edited by MHitchcock
3 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

Why are you trying to put TTI +5/6s on 33 round? Why not just get the taylor freelance for the 33 rd making them 41 round and use the TTI for the glock 17 mags?

The TF comes with a tuned spring for the 33rd mags. No point in getting anything else right now.

I'm doing it because I already have a bunch of the +5/6 extensions since I shoot a Glock in Limited so I just took it off one of those mags. If I didn't already have any extensions I'd get the +10 though.

11 hours ago, Southpaw said:

I'm doing it because I already have a bunch of the +5/6 extensions since I shoot a Glock in Limited so I just took it off one of those mags. If I didn't already have any extensions I'd get the +10 though.

The OP is making a purchase now. It isn't a "using parts I already have" issue for him. 

Hello: Look at all the base pads pads available and choose the ones that are easy to remove and install. Your mags will hit the ground at some point and will have to be cleaned. For that one special mag I would choose the Taylor one but for the rest I would let cost be your guide. Note: I am a mag collector and have 8- 33 round Glock mags so I don't have to reload during a match and a bunch of smaller mags as well. I would also look at your local matches to see how many rounds a typical stage has. You maybe able to get away with only a 2-3 33 round mags. I guess what I am saying is just look at all your options to see what is best for you. Thanks, Eric

11 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

The OP is making a purchase now. It isn't a "using parts I already have" issue for him. 

I was at a local match where one of the Taylor Freelance base pad was used.  The shooter was unable to finish the match with that magazine.  It failed on two stages before he retired it for the day.  I realize this is just one event but after seeing that for myself, I want to try something else.  I'm sure others will chime in that theirs have been flawless.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought those springs were for the Glock 17 magazines.  I am specifically asking if there is a spring for the 33 round glock 9mm mags or if the base pad will work with the stock spring in the 33 rounders.

I tried it but was a no go at competition pace. Slow fire worked ok but not running and gunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This isn't Eric's first rodeo. Listen to his advice.

I've had great luck with the Glock31/33 and the ETS 31+ tubes and Dawson extensions, BOTH with factory springs to get to 35/36. I've been much happier with the ETS mags than I expected to be. They have been running great.

The TF +10 extension works fine too, but you have to do some work at the junction of the mag and extension to get the follower to slide across smoothly and reliably. I've rarely encountered a stage where I felt like I needed more then 35/36 + 1 to get through.

The shorter mags with extensions are the way to go for reloads, I think. Position pouches just like for pistol and reload the same way except for the magwell being a few inches in front of your strong hand...

• 4 months later...

I'm using an ETS 31 round mag with the Taylor Freelance +10 and I'm having an issue getting more than 2 or 3 additional rounds.  I know the instructions state this is a common issue, has anyone beveled an ETS mag and if so, any photographs of the work?

I couldn't get the ETS mags to work reliably with my TF extensions. Decided the extra work I spent trying to get the ETS mag working with an extension was better spent practicing. After about 7 months of broken ETS followers, I'm about out of functioning ETS mags anyways. It seems the ETS follower gets crushed if you run the gun empty. GLOCK brand GLOCK follower geometry seems to avoid this issue so I'm just replacing my ETS mags with the Glock 33 round mags. My TF basepads and TTI basepads have been 100% in both of my PCC's now. I reserve my remaining ETS mags for playtime at the range, load testing or the like. 

Now someone needs to make a +20 extension for GLOCKS because CZC just put out their Scorpion +20 basepad. I'm so happy that I live in America and we constantly 1-up each other on bigger and bigger capacity!!! :lol:

I wish I lived in America! Unfortunately I'm stuck behind enemy lines in Kalifornia.

I'm using an ETS 31 round mag with the Taylor Freelance +10 and I'm having an issue getting more than 2 or 3 additional rounds.  I know the instructions state this is a common issue, has anyone beveled an ETS mag and if so, any photographs of the work?

Yes, it took about an hour with a dremel and a small file to round the inside rear edges of the extension and the outside bottom edges of the follower to work. The clear mag makes it easy to look down the inside of the mag (without the spring and follower) to see where the edges of the extension are overhanging the path of the follower. Angle file those edges away and you're good to go.

I have intermittent problems with Taylor Freelance. I've followed the instructions and beveled as required. Occasionally when loading 39+ the rounds push out the mag walls and bind against each other at the bottom of the mag.  I'm using glock metal lined mags. Of course they run fine until the biggest field course of a match.  If I stay at 37 they've run fine.