Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 33 round magazines and extended base pad

1 hour ago, 1911luvr said:

Yes, it took about an hour with a dremel and a small file to round the inside rear edges of the extension and the outside bottom edges of the follower to work. The clear mag makes it easy to look down the inside of the mag (without the spring and follower) to see where the edges of the extension are overhanging the path of the follower. Angle file those edges away and you're good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Sounds pretty painless.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arredondo extentions (+5) do NOT work with stock Glock 33 round mag springs (not for me).

Had to get Taylor Freelance extended springs for 41+ mags to run with those.

Taylor Freelance 41+ with the included spring works great with Glock 33 mags.

I have been using the taran +5 with the giant taylor freelance mag spring and they work well.  I have them on my g17 mags as well.  I have noticed that some mags simply do not work. The follower gets hung up.  This happens with g17 and the 33rd magazines.  I even started loading down to 1.13.  I need to find a fix.  I have tried deburring the followers and beveling the bottom of the magazine so the spring does not catch.  When the follower is stuck it is level side to side and nose up tail down.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite filing on the extension and the magazine, I get a hard stop at 35 rounds with glock 31 magazine and TF +10 basepad (on both of mine).  The spring that came with the TF extender is 13" long, feels as if the spring is compressed to the max.  What length spring should come with the TF basepad?  Is 13" the correct length?

On 5/29/2017 at 9:20 AM, MHitchcock said:

I just put mine together and it holds 40, no filing involved. Did you make the mistake of using the plastic part in the stock base plate? It should just be the follower, the spring and the base pad. 

I had to file down two corners of the extension that the follower was getting hung up on, granted I'm also using an ETS mag.  No issues since, fingers crossed.

On 5/29/2017 at 8:20 AM, MHitchcock said:

I just put mine together and it holds 40, no filing involved. Did you make the mistake of using the plastic part in the stock base plate? It should just be the follower, the spring and the base pad. 

No, I left out the plastic bit.  Just the spring, follower and base pad.  All good with some beveling of the follower and the back inner edge of the base pad.  

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, NOMADSS said:

Can someone post up some pics of areas you are dremeling and filing.

thanks

would also like to see this of the TF 41+1.  Have filed the rear inner portion of the extension.  Have filed the bottom edges of the follower.  Still get to about 36 and it starts getting far harder to load than I think it should.  Can force to 41 with factory win white box 115s sometimes, but likes to drive the top round into the front of the magazine and bend it.  Bends it bad enough its a fight to get the magazine out.  Situation far worse with reloads.  Maybe just file more? 

I  get 40 rounds into a TF easily and runs good, no issues so far with no modifications. Probably could force one more round into it but would be very tight and probably asking for trouble. The Glock 31's hold 36 rounds with Dawson extension and factory Glock spring and run good too. 

• 4 months later...
On 12/5/2016 at 7:55 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I'll bet the original 32 round spring will run fine. If not, you can splice two springs together (see my "Glock drum mag" thread below). 

Help.  I can’t find the thread about splicing 2 mags. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2017 at 3:35 PM, kski said:

I'm using an ETS 31 round mag with the Taylor Freelance +10 and I'm having an issue getting more than 2 or 3 additional rounds.  I know the instructions state this is a common issue, has anyone beveled an ETS mag and if so, any photographs of the work?

I ended up using a stock Glock 9mm follower (older, not pointy) and I get 43 (no closed bolt reload) or 42 re loadable on closed bolt.  Right now I am just using a stretched stock ETS spring, but I get weak feeding for the last few rounds.  I will probably swap in one of the TACCOM 36 coil springs even though I may lose a round or two...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Some people have had good success with them, while others were not able to make them work reliably.  I think some of this has to do with the bullet type and profile interfering with the mag extension.  I really liked the idea of the bottom plate making them really easy to clean, but several people complaining that they were unable to make them work, even after doing whatr MBX recommended, that scared me away.  I ended up getting the Taccom extension and, although it is more difficult to clean, it has run perfectly for me.  I do not drop the mag as that would necessitate cleaning it.  I also have a Taccom splice for really big stages.  

Some people have had good success with them, while others were not able to make them work reliably.  I think some of this has to do with the bullet type and profile interfering with the mag extension.  I really liked the idea of the bottom plate making them really easy to clean, but several people complaining that they were unable to make them work, even after doing whatr MBX recommended, that scared me away.  I ended up getting the Taccom extension and, although it is more difficult to clean, it has run perfectly for me.  I do not drop the mag as that would necessitate cleaning it.  I also have a Taccom splice for really big stages.  
Its fascinating and frustrating. I've had just the opposite experiences. I struggled to get the Taccom extensions to work reliability but couldn't. While l've had great success with the MBX mega extensions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I received my Taccom mag extension a few days before a high round count match.  I attached it to a new ETS 31 round magazine and initially had some problems getting the feet of the follower to slide into the mag extension and had to bevel the feet slightly more than I had initially done.  Once the follower slipped in the basepad, the bullets came out perfectly.  I used the mag on 7 stages, over 250 rounds and it worked flawlessly.   I did have to clean it once, due to it falling off of my belt, and that was not fun to do during a match, but it did all that I could expect from it.

Edited by L9X25

Prior to purchasing the Taccom extension, I have been using a TF+10 extension on a Glock 33 mag that has been flawless for months.  The only problem with it is that it only holds 40 rounds and this match had several stages in excess of 40 rounds. I will likely continue to use the TF+10 for most stages that are under 35 rounds, which is practically any stage at a normal match.