Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major with 115 GR and 3N38

FTP_Shooting_Sports

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a couple pounds of it with 115 HAPs and liked it. I just got tired of the very very full case when loading. I was loading 9.5 grains at 1.175 for ~170 pf.

Start around 8ish grains and work up from there. 

Edited by js1130146

I've been testing out zero 121 jhp with my svi imm (2 holes in barrel) and 9.6 was getting me 175 PF or so. Really full case so I wanna try out 124/5's and see if I can't make it a little easier to load. Nice load though. So for me 115s is just gonna be too much powder as I'm not seeing the speed needed. so maybe get some bullets in small amounts and try. The 3n38 will work but just maybe not with 115s. If it means anyhing, AA7 and 115s (10.6 grains) got me 175 pf or so and shot very similar to 3n38. I'm going to have to make a decision on what to go with in the long run. Good luck post your results if you can. More info is always nice. 

AA7 might be enough more dense (that stuff is absolutely tiny, it seriously looks like sand) that it can get you the results you want. Like user said, you will likely be at around 10.5 grains and that shoots very nicely, in my opinion. I believe my buddy loads about that (10.4 maybe?) with 3 barrel holes and is right around 175. 

I don't have experience with 3n38, but my gut tells me it might be a tough sell for a 9mm. 

I'm getting 165 PF with 125 JHP Zero's using Fed Small Rifle and 8.2gr 3N38, set at 1.166". That load stops 1/4" from the top of the case, so not too bad to reload in the D650, just go fairly slowly and no or very little powder spill. It shoots really nicely in my new DVC. Better than me anyway. 10rds = one ragged hole at 18yds off the bag. 

Edited by jakfrost1

3 hours ago, jakfrost1 said:

I'm getting 165 PF with 125 JHP Zero's using Fed Small Rifle and 8.2gr 3N38, set at 1.166". That load stops 1/4" from the top of the case, so not too bad to reload in the D650, just go fairly slowly and no or very little powder spill. It shoots really nicely in my new DVC. Better than me anyway. 10rds = one ragged hole at 18yds off the bag. 

You miiiight think about bumping that up just a touch, unless of course you are an IPSC shooter

I'm shooting my first USPSA match in Florida at the Open...been IPSC for years but USPSA is growing here in Canada so thought that might be good fun. I'm planning a Crono day soon to see what load I'll take with me. 

I imagine they'll be checking at Frostproof...

Just now, accu9 said:

3N38 is fantastic in 9mm with 115's. Super clean, flat and predictable. The caveat is that it's a pain in the ass to load. 

9.4gr under a 115gr in a Full Size with 3 1/8" holes yields 173. 

Sounds like you have to put the bullet on before you rotate the shell plate?  Thanks for the info guys.

Just now, flgcwpg said:

Sounds like you have to put the bullet on before you rotate the shell plate?  Thanks for the info guys.

Exactly (I'm loading on a 650 with thrust bearing mod/ clipped spring/ low mass ball). Either place the bullet or cover the case with your finger before the press indexes. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2016 at 4:33 PM, Gooldylocks said:

AA7 might be enough more dense (that stuff is absolutely tiny, it seriously looks like sand) that it can get you the results you want. Like user said, you will likely be at around 10.5 grains and that shoots very nicely, in my opinion. I believe my buddy loads about that (10.4 maybe?) with 3 barrel holes and is right around 175. 

I don't have experience with 3n38, but my gut tells me it might be a tough sell for a 9mm. 

When you say AA7, do you mean Accurate Arms No. 7?

Assume that's the same as Accurate No. 7?  New name or something...

On 7 December 2016 at 1:21 AM, jakfrost1 said:

I'm shooting my first USPSA match in Florida at the Open...been IPSC for years but USPSA is growing here in Canada so thought that might be good fun. I'm planning a Crono day soon to see what load I'll take with me. 

I imagine they'll be checking at Frostproof...

What he means is uspsa major is 165 for open unlike ipsc which is 160. You need some buffer. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-08 at 7:23 AM, BeerBaron said:

What he means is uspsa major is 165 for open unlike ipsc which is 160. You need some buffer. :)

Using 8.4 now and getting solid 170PF, plus modified the indexing spring again, ( another half coil cut...), and no powder spill now! Sure wish Dillon would come up with a carbide powder funnel to help with the 'sticking' problem. Spoke to them the other day on the phone about the issue and they said "you'll just have to muscle thru"...nice solution, ha!

The new Starline Brass is the hardest to work with, takes a real downward hit to get the brass off the powder funnel. And the same for any brass that I have 'wet tumbled' to try and clean the primer pockets. Annoying as hell. 

I shoot 124's at 1.170 with 10.0 grains of accurate #7 and get ~171PF. I use the roller bearing on my 650 and have it at juuuuust the right tension. No powder spillage and no binding. Without this I get a little powder on my shell plate. 

Yes I use the Delrin index ball and cut spring along with the roller bearing. I also put an index mark on the bolt head to monitor any change in bolt position. 

Its very smooth with no index 'snap'. 

This vid was a while ago but the load is either 10.4gn of 3n38 or around 11gn of n105 both of which are a pretty full case in 38 super. 

3 hours ago, mikev49 said:

A buddy and I have had very good success with Autocomp and 115s. 7.8 grs gets us right to 170-172 PF.  Super accurate and only a little dirty.  

That's one load I use as well. I load to about 1.167ish for 172-173.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:57 AM, BeerBaron said:

Yes I use the Delrin index ball and cut spring along with the roller bearing. I also put an index mark on the bolt head to monitor any change in bolt position. 

Its very smooth with no index 'snap'. 

This vid was a while ago but the load is either 10.4gn of 3n38 or around 11gn of n105 both of which are a pretty full case in 38 super. 

Thanks for the video...  Your press is really smooth...  Do you use the BallisticTools bearing kit?

https://ballistictools.com/store/dillon-press-enhancements

How much do you cut off of the index ball spring?  I'm not sure if the amount you cut off on a 650 would be the same as a 1050 (I have a 1050)...  I'm just trying to get an idea for a starting place...

I have been using BallisticTools derlin index balls, but not their roller bearings or cutting the index spring...  Changing to Open and trying to cram a lot of powder into 9mm cases has changed my mind about that...