Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems in paradise with WST Powder

Street Survival

Gentlemen,

I need your sage advice, I'm reloading with Winchester WST Gunpowder on a Dillon 1050 and I am noticing that the gunpowder is static sticking to the powder funnel and the brass powder dept gauge.  This is throwing off all my powder checks.  I have tried using Bounce static cling sheets to no avail.  Anyone got any better tips or tricks for me.  Thank You all in advance for your sage advice.

I don't have the Dillon but I do load with a Hornady LnL.  What worked for me was coating the entire inside of my powder measure with powdered graphite, which I picked up at an auto parts store.  Dump out what doesn't stick and put it aside for later use, if needed.  Not only is graphite compatible with gunpowder, it is also electrically conductive so it tends to bleed static.  Everything got much more consistent after that. 

Go to your nearest Staples, Office Max or the like and buy a package of Wilson Jones Transparent  View Tab dividers.  They are made from a poly material that does not collect static and is impervious to high Nitro content powders, so it protects Polycarbonate powder hoppers.   Cut off the tab and the spline with the holes, roll into a cylinder and insert into your powder hopper.  Forget about static and discoloration forever.

On 12/5/2016 at 0:49 PM, zzt said:

Go to your nearest Staples, Office Max or the like and buy a package of Wilson Jones Transparent  View Tab dividers.  They are made from a poly material that does not collect static and is impervious to high Nitro content powders, so it protects Polycarbonate powder hoppers.   Cut off the tab and the spline with the holes, roll into a cylinder and insert into your powder hopper.  Forget about static and discoloration forever.

Interesting I just picked some of these up will give them a try this weekend - I've been rubbing inside and out with Bounce sheets but some always still clings, so this seems deceptively simple :).

I have been using WST for well over ten years. Sounds like you may have a static problem vs a powder problem. wiping the measure down with bounce sheets helps, grounding and dehumidifiers all help. I keep a humidistat on the outside of my safe to insure I keep the room dry.

Quick question-does your reloading area have carpet?  I started using anti-fatigue mats and noticed a lot less static.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
On Monday, December 05, 2016 at 7:10 AM, Street Survival said:

Gentlemen,

I need your sage advice, I'm reloading with Winchester WST Gunpowder on a Dillon 1050 and I am noticing that the gunpowder is static sticking to the powder funnel and the brass powder dept gauge.  This is throwing off all my powder checks.  I have tried using Bounce static cling sheets to no avail.  Anyone got any better tips or tricks for me.  Thank You all in advance for your sage advice.

Is your press grounded? If not it may help.

• 1 month later...