Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup vs VV-N320 for 40 cal Limited

Gman57

I've been looking at a lot of load data for major 40 limited and seems that Titegroup and VV-N320 are at the top of the list. The powders are at the opposite end of the price scale..... am I missing something here? Why use the n320 when tg is $10 a pound less? Does it meter better, more consistent, less pressure, softer shooting, more accurate, what?

Thanks in advance for your input

G

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've switched from Titegroup to N320 because it burns cleaner, meters well, and recoil feels a little softer.  The other benefit is that it's a fluffy powder, so a double charge almost over flows the case - so very easy to spot.  Not too much of a concern on my XL650, but very reassuring when working up loads on my 550b. 

Well, I hate TiteGroup.  It burn very hot and will quickly melt the FO on your front sight.  It is dirty.  If you are using lubed lead bullets, the cloud of smoke it produces will obscure the target.

You can do much better than TG with any number of fast powders without going to N320.  Having tried almost all of them I've settled on Alliant e3.  It is clean, accurate and economical and consistent.  It meters very well.  My SDs are always in the single digits; something I cannot report for other powders.  It has low muzzle flash and absolutely no temperature sensitivity.  That is something that cannot be said of N320.  It costs the same as TG.

I use Titegroup for practice and local match loads, and save my stash of N320 for major matches.  TG is useable in .40, though it burns a little hotter than other powders and will smoke like a black powder rifle with uncoated lead.  I'm using BBIs; the new coating makes little smoke.  My 170 pf TG practice load feels like a 173 pf N320 load.  Haven't melted any FO sights yet but I don't let my gun get too hot during practice strings for longevity's sake.

I'm also in Hawaii so its hard to sample a number of different powders.  Titegroup isn't perfect but it's cheap and works great for my needs.  If I was rich I'd only buy N320 lol. 

I shoot TG... because it is cheap and I have it laying around. Was thinking of trying #7 but everyone says it's not a good idea? Who knows? 

If TG is too snappy try gripping your pistol like a grown ass man, that is how I do it. 

19 hours ago, Gman57 said:

I've been looking at a lot of load data for major 40 limited and seems that Titegroup and VV-N320 are at the top of the list. The powders are at the opposite end of the price scale..... am I missing something here? Why use the n320 when tg is $10 a pound less? Does it meter better, more consistent, less pressure, softer shooting, more accurate, what?

G

Try Ramshot Competition, near identical load data as N320

2 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

I shoot TG... because it is cheap and I have it laying around. Was thinking of trying #7 but everyone says it's not a good idea? Who knows? 

If TG is too snappy try gripping your pistol like a grown ass man, that is how I do it. 

I have used #7 for 38sup... a little dirty but a good powder IMO

G

On 12/5/2016 at 1:23 AM, Gman57 said:

G

I have steered away from tg. it is very cheap which is a plus but it is really dirty, has melted 2 of my fiber optic front sights, and feels snappier than n320. n320 is cleaner and softer shooting. tg is a good back up powder but will never be my go to.  I know everyone complains that n320 is so expensive... its really not though when you do the math. my n320 load is only about $5 more to load per 500 than tg. to me it's worth every penny.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have run e3 in my 2011 40 limited gun 180 acme with 4.2 gr I'found I remember correctly at 1.2...chamber is fairly clean...the end of gun and fiber sight are coated in carbon.  The sight gets dim quick.  Not very impressed with e3 on my gun...I do want to try red dot and n320.

• 2 weeks later...

Now here's a question : at what number of rounds is this heat problem encountered with Titegroup?  I've been loading with it for 3 or 4 years now and never observed this phenomenon.  Maybe it's a problem with all steel guns and I've only been shooting polymer framed ones?  Or is it with longer strings of fire like a 40-50 round stage or drills?  Or is it just more noticeable with 40 than 9x19 because of more powder being used? 

9 minutes ago, yellowfin said:

Now here's a question : at what number of rounds is this heat problem encountered with Titegroup?  I've been loading with it for 3 or 4 years now and never observed this phenomenon.  Maybe it's a problem with all steel guns and I've only been shooting polymer framed ones?  Or is it with longer strings of fire like a 40-50 round stage or drills?  Or is it just more noticeable with 40 than 9x19 because of more powder being used? 

I have not noticed this.  I've been using 4.7 gr of titegroup for 40 for a year now with a steel edge, but haven't had any issues with the fiber optic insert

If you're looking for a milder recoiling load than Titegroup, but less expensive than N320, you might want to look into Nobel Sport Prima V or Ba 9 1/2. I've been shooting the Prima V, which is comparable to TG, in 9mm and have been pleased. It's softer than TG, though it takes a similar load, but so much cooler and cleaner. I haven't messed around with it for .40 yet, but I imagine it would work well.