Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The bullet comes out of the barrel... not the sight!

mreed911

Pulled a stupid today on "Raw Deal."  Shot this PCC and opted to shoot it seated (not taking the time to stand).  Right eye/right shoulder.  Leaned out and shot the first three targets.  All good until the last one... put one through the no-shoot in front of me because of the way I was leaned my OPTIC was on target, but my BARREL, 1.5" lower than my optic, was over the no-shoot right in front of me (because of my 'cant' while leaning left).

A no-shoot is never good.  On a 12-round classifier with no make-up shot (so a M downrange due to 'no shoot-thru's)?  Resulted in a 2.2 HF (19%) score.

The bullet comes out of the barrel, not the sight. :)

5 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Pulled a stupid today on "Raw Deal."  Shot this PCC and opted to shoot it seated (not taking the time to stand).  Right eye/right shoulder.  Leaned out and shot the first three targets.  All good until the last one... put one through the no-shoot in front of me because of the way I was leaned my OPTIC was on target, but my BARREL, 1.5" lower than my optic, was over the no-shoot right in front of me (because of my 'cant' while leaning left).

A no-shoot is never good.  On a 12-round classifier with no make-up shot (so a M downrange due to 'no shoot-thru's)?  Resulted in a 2.2 HF (19%) score.

The bullet comes out of the barrel, not the sight. :)

Welcome to optics. Want to mess with open shooters? Put no shoots right in front of them that they have to shoot just over to hit targets! :)

Just now, 3gunDQ said:

You walk away with a lesson learned. The 19% will fall off quickly.... surely you can shoot a few 30%s maybe a 40 ? 

I should get my first classification in PCC this week.  Looks like I'm starting C-Class, but two of my last six were 62.23 and 59.28.  The 19 will post as a "B" notation.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Welcome to optics. Want to mess with open shooters? Put no shoots right in front of them that they have to shoot just over to hit targets! :)

I like you - you're evil.  Was hearing a story about a shooter on a 3Gun match recently who put six in the side of a pickup (downrange junk/blockage) because of barrel/sight alignment, target distance, etc.

Edited by mreed911

• 4 weeks later...
That's been known to destroy more than a few chronographs.

Which is why I have a lab radar. Much harder to shoot lol. But I'm still uneasy with it and pistols, as you have to be inline with the radar. Small chance of messing up and shooting the radar.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I can't tell you how many times in the Marine Corps High Risk Personnel course I saw someone shoot the hood of the car that was supposed to be cover because of this same issue.

Expensive?  I sat my range bag on the table one day, pulled my cell phone out (brand new, too) and clipped it to a pocket on the bag, so I could hear it if it range and proceeded about the business of stapling up targets, loading the range magazines, getting ready to shoot, etc.

I'd put out three targets and started shooting one of my AR15's, trying out some new loads and seeing how they grouped.  As I worked right to left I eventually got to the far left target and squeezed off a round.  My youngest son hollers out, "Man, that was COOL!  I gotta get a picture of that.!!"  I turn around and look at him to ask WTH he's talking about an he just repeats "That was so cool!"  I ask, again, "WHAT?"  And he's digging his phone out of his pocket and repeating how cool it was and I'm about to get up and get his attention and he points out in front of the table.  I don't see a thing out there in the grass, brass and dirt.  Then he asks where my phone is and I turn to look at my range bag and the phone is gone.  Not a mark on the bag/pocket, but the phone is gone.  No one there but us so I got up, went out in front of the table and picked up the three or four pieces I could find.

You just can't see stuff like that up close when you're shooting with a scope.

These days, the range bag goes on the concrete beside the table.