Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking To Upgrade My Limited Setup- Need Advise

Pirate

Hi guys, I started shooting USPSA Limited and 3 gun this past September and I have 5 matches under my belt.  Like most I'm hooked on the sport and attend every match I can.  I'm currently using a Glock 34(3 gun) and 35(Limited).  My belt setup is a mix of Black scorpion and bladetech gear and works well for my current equipment.  I'm now getting the 2011 "itch" and I'm in need of some advise on which direction to head for a gun, holster, mag pouches, and belt.  I'll be keeping my current equipment for 3 gun and using the new for USPSA only.  So my question is this- If you had roughly 3k to burn on a limited setup, what would it be?  Gun, Holster, Mag Pouches, Belt

WSM2 & cr speed pouches... but it's more about personal preference. I have one DAA and I like the cr speed pouches better. I have tried the 014, ghost ultimate, DAA, and came back to the WSM2... it works best for me. I prefer custom guns over STI, but if I were buying an STI I'd get an 40 edge and grind off the grip texture and put skate tape on it. 

28 minutes ago, 3gunDQ said:

WSM2 & cr speed pouches... but it's more about personal preference. I have one DAA and I like the cr speed pouches better. I have tried the 014, ghost ultimate, DAA, and came back to the WSM2... it works best for me. I prefer custom guns over STI, but if I were buying an STI I'd get an 40 edge and grind off the grip texture and put skate tape on it. 

Or get a new grip from Dawson, with the heavy stippling, and under cut. Mine came in blue Argyle. :)

On a $3000 budget for the whole rig:

STI 2011 Edge in .40S&W.  $2000. - Hint: if you can buy it from Brazos, they'll sell you their "super tuned" mags for $100 at the time of purchase, instead of the normal $150.  

Oversize Mag button - $25

Double Alpha Belt - $50

Double Alpha Racer Mag Pouches- $33 x 3

Double Alpha Racer Holster - $130

Double Alpha Magnetic Mag Holder - $55

140MM STI Brazos supertuned magazines with Dawson SNL basepads  - $100 each x 4.

Total cost $2759.  Shipping & FFL transfers will probably take up another $100 or so.  

I don't think you'll be getting anything better than an Edge on that budget if you also need to get the rest of the gear.  Almost all the other options start in the high $2000's just for the gun.  That said - a stock Edge isn't bad at all.  

Edited by MGMorden

I have had an Edge in 40, still have an Eagle in 40 and a TSS 'Edge' . 

I like the idea of saving a little extra and buying a new or used semi custom Edge from TSS or Brazos (their are others out there who are also good I'm sure). Buying stock STI's is probably going to be aok but I have always got a bad trigger going that way (not a big deal to fix) and hit or miss on slide to frame fit, if you could handle the gun before buying I would like that option better. 

If you have not handled a CZ tactical sport, it is something that might be worth considering and it would put you in well under your budget. 

Lots of good used 2011's pop up. 

On 12/4/2016 at 8:22 PM, Pirate said:

Hi guys, I started shooting USPSA Limited and 3 gun this past September and I have 5 matches under my belt.  Like most I'm hooked on the sport and attend every match I can.  I'm currently using a Glock 34(3 gun) and 35(Limited).  My belt setup is a mix of Black scorpion and bladetech gear and works well for my current equipment.  I'm now getting the 2011 "itch" and I'm in need of some advise on which direction to head for a gun, holster, mag pouches, and belt.  I'll be keeping my current equipment for 3 gun and using the new for USPSA only.  So my question is this- If you had roughly 3k to burn on a limited setup, what would it be?  Gun, Holster, Mag Pouches, Belt

I have settled in to an STI Edge, in 9mm. Pinned grip safety, Extreme Shooter enhanced grip, short trigger, and post front sight. Double Alpha Premium belt, two DAA aluminum pouches, and DAA Race Master holster.

I think double alpha makes the best belt rig for uspsa limited.  I would shoot for the new alpha-x holster when its available in the states.  2 race master pouches and one racemaster pouch with magnet.  

For your budget STI is going to be the best bet new, like others have said I might look around for something used in your budget.  I have a friend with a SV for sale right now but it would use up your budget on just the gun.  

On 12/19/2016 at 6:51 PM, CrashDodson said:

I think double alpha makes the best belt rig for uspsa limited.  I would shoot for the new alpha-x holster when its available in the states.  2 race master pouches and one racemaster pouch with magnet.  

My Alpha-X holster arrived last Monday, so they are available to order. Even for lefties like myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.  I ended up getting a new DVC Limited from a member here for only a little more $ than I was looking at paying for an Edge.  I ordered a Blade Tech DOH holster for now and will be getting an alpha X holster in the near future.  The gun is currently sitting at my FFL until I get home from work in two WEEKS.  It's killing me!  I'm still undecided on a belt and mag pouches.  I'm looking at either CR Speed or DAA for both.  

8 hours ago, Pirate said:

...The gun is currently sitting at my FFL until I get home from work in two WEEKS.  It's killing me! ...

Welcome to my world. I just bought an STI Edge yesterday. I won't be able to pick it up until the 13th. Stupid CA 10 day wait for "cooling off" even though I am a CCW holder with a multitude of firearms.

On 1/4/2017 at 3:43 AM, Pirate said:

Thanks for the replies.  I ended up getting a new DVC Limited from a member here for only a little more $ than I was looking at paying for an Edge.  I ordered a Blade Tech DOH holster for now and will be getting an alpha X holster in the near future.  The gun is currently sitting at my FFL until I get home from work in two WEEKS.  It's killing me!  I'm still undecided on a belt and mag pouches.  I'm looking at either CR Speed or DAA for both.  

DAA pouches all the way.  Get one with a magnet and 2  without and you are GTG.  

I love my DAA aluminum pouches.  Due to my fat mid-section and simply overall preference, I've loved the ability of the DAA pouches to be switched from bullets forward to bullets out.  

I believe one has to practice both before determining which will work better for them (which is faster).  I started bullets forward and later found that bullets out worked better for me anyway.

Yes, Ghost Products pouches allow bullets out but the minimum spacing between pouches is much greater than the DAA.

Starting in this sport, I don't believe you can go wrong with DAA.