Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new open gun

wingnut

4 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I did ...

I bought an STI TruBor, in 9mm Major, from Brazos - that's still what I'd do.

But, the CZ's make very nice OPEN guns also ...   :bow:

Was your trubor worked over by brazos or just stock? My brother wants to buy one for his son. Are they only around 3k?

Sarge, I bought it about 9 years ago, for about $2,600, I believe, and that was

worked over by Brazos (they did a great job, BTW).

I bought my first TruBor from another Texas dealer that "worked over" my TruBor

but I had a lot of trouble getting that one to run.  That's Dawson Precision.

I've had some custom work done on the Brazos TruBor - lightened the slide, 10 lb springs,

trigger job (down to 3#) and an essential slide racker.  Work done by Dave Pruitt & EGW.

Love it - shoots great groups (for ME) (3" at 50 yards, with 7 of the ten shots in 2").

I suggest the idea of keeping an eye on the classifieds and checking out used guns. There are some nice guns that come along. I dont know where you live but it's winter here in MN and shooting season is done. So maybe be patient ( I know it's tough)  and see what comes up. I thought about putting money down on a custom build and saving up money all winter while it got built but found a used SV and jumped on it. Just my thoughts. There definitely some value to be had in used open guns. 

3 hours ago, glockman75 said:

Look what I just found.

Here you go!

Check out what I found on GunBroker.com!
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603230399

A buddy of mine bought one from this dealer 5 weeks ago.... same deal (shot 5 times?) in 38 super @ 2800.00 Looked to be unfired to me. If STI is what you want doubt you will find better deal.

G

I would take the time to do homework on what pistol you want. You may be better waiting a little longer to save to buy what you really want. At that spend level it is better not to settle. I prefer CK Arms above the STI Trubor.  A lot of choices just in sights and mounts etc. Try to buy once, it will be a great savings in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Hunter1998 said:

I would take the time to do homework on what pistol you want. You may be better waiting a little longer to save to buy what you really want. At that spend level it is better not to settle. I prefer CK Arms above the STI Trubor.  A lot of choices just in sights and mounts etc. Try to buy once, it will be a great savings in the long run.

I'm going to politely disagree with this. I'd recommend going out and buying a solid running used open gun and then shoot it for a year. You'll never know what you want in an open gun without shooting one for awhile. Then that gun can either become your backup or you can sell it to help fun the new gun.

In his original post he asked what gun out the box. If he wants new , still recommend taking his time and buy what he wants and not to limit himself to a dollar amount. I do agree, that used guns are a great place to start.   visit local matches and try to shoot different models  and talk to people and get opinions before buying. 

54 minutes ago, Big Nick said:

Fur, Feathers and Fins had a new 9mm Trubor with thumb rest, Cmore red dot scope and mount for $2600.  I don't know if that's a good deal or not but they had it.

That's about what Brazos sells a new one for, so if that's a used one it's not much of a deal. (unless it has had some work done on it, like a racker, or more than the one mag that a new one comes with.)

I have several CK Arms and Freedom Gunworks Open, Limited, and Single Stack handguns.  Everyone of them have ran flawlessly and Bobby has been very helpful with any questions I have had about any of my guns.

Give Don Fraley a call at Advanced Weapons Technolgy,  AWTLLC.  Don is back full time and would treat you right on a new open gun.  He built me a 9 maj. and it is more accurate and flat shooting.  He stands behind his work and he is a true perfectionist.  You will not be disappointed, and it is a new gun, not a used gun that you may be taking a chance on.  Well worth the phone call.  Tell him Tommy Roupe told you to call.