Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new open gun

wingnut

A new Czechmate will run you around the $3K US mark. This is what I would get regardless as they are 100% reliable out of the box. Most custom guns are not, and the smith always says it needs 5-6K rounds for a breaking period, lol. I have not had one jam with mine since I owned it. Highly recommended!

30 minutes ago, abb1 said:

A new Czechmate will run you around the $3K US mark. This is what I would get regardless as they are 100% reliable out of the box. Most custom guns are not, and the smith always says it needs 5-6K rounds for a breaking period, lol. I have not had one jam with mine since I owned it. Highly recommended!

That's a new one for me.  Who, exactly, specifies that?  I've heard anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand (for a gun that wasn't lapped, so you're doing the lapping), but 5-6K for "break-in" (as opposed to "it'll be real smooth by 5-6K)? 

18 minutes ago, teros135 said:

That's a new one for me.  Who, exactly, specifies that?  I've heard anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand (for a gun that wasn't lapped, so you're doing the lapping), but 5-6K for "break-in" (as opposed to "it'll be real smooth by 5-6K)? 

That is what I heard from someone that bought a CK gun, lol, they told him that it needed 5-6K rounds to be broken in. This one to be exact : http://magnussportsusa.com/product/ck-arms-open-steel-grip-38super-or-9mm/ ....as he now has it up for sale in a forum

I have owned a Caspian 1911 years back which I had custom built and it had a few issues. They told me that the gun needed to be broken in as it was built with tight tolerances, but did not give a count. I ended up getting it working by using a different recoil spring and measuring each round, but even then, it was not 100%, as the odd round would hang. Everyone has different experiences, those are mine. To me, a competition gun MUST be 100%, as one malfunction can cost you!

Edited by abb1

I went the used route but I was always planning on doing that. I think I would go the cz checkmate way because I'm familiar with the feel of the gun. I ended up buying an old custom built sti open gun for $900 with three big sticks. It looks like he'll but it runs like it too so it got me in the game until I decide which gun I really want.