Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Primer disk not advancing

Today I noticed that the primer disk on my 650 is not advancing as it usually does.  I took the primer system down, and manually played it a bit.  The problem appears to be the spring is not strong enough to reset the hook that controls the movement of the primer disk. Would replacing a new spring solve this problem?  I just ordered the 650 spare parts kit.  If you think my problem is something else, I would really appreciate your recommendations. 

Thanks in advance. 

primersystem.jpg

The spring is ragged out, but it is easily replaced and is included in the 650 spare parts kit if you have one around. Remove the black thingy above it (2 hex screws) and you can pop it out/in with ease. 

Guys, you are all awesome!  I took the whole thing apart, there the spring is in 2 pieces!

Now just waiting for the spare kit to arrive.  Does anyone know the spec on this particular spring?  I would like to stock this up without the other stuff in the spare parts kit, because it may be like the TRS on a CZ, broken every few thousands rounds :) 

brokenspring.jpg

Call Dillon, the first time this happened to me, I replaced it with the one from the spare parts kit and then called Dillon to replace the one in the kit. They sent me a bag of those springs (6 I think) at no cost.

To the OP, that broken spring is odd.   I have had Dillon equipment since the late 80's and have worn out parts, but never broke a spring like that.  The best deal is if you have a spare parts kit, and you use a part from there, re-order that part.  If you don't have a spare parts kit, - Buy one !

Years of use doesn't matter when it comes to spring life, it's the number of cycles. I broke 2 of them the first year I had a 650, but I loaded over 80K rounds. I don't keep track but I think they break around 35K. At least that's the number that comes to mind.

I think the parts quality varies...
I've only reloaded maybe 10k rounds, first year, and a bunch of parts, including that spring, have either broke/bent/malfunctioned...

Lucky have the spare parts kits...
And Dillon of course is amazing and priority ships you what you need for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, anm2_man said:

To the OP, that broken spring is odd.   I have had Dillon equipment since the late 80's and have worn out parts, but never broke a spring like that.  The best deal is if you have a spare parts kit, and you use a part from there, re-order that part.  If you don't have a spare parts kit, - Buy one !

I recently broke that spring.  Probably loaded about 40k rounds on it before it broke.

I broke another spring right after.  The one that swings out and drops a case into the body bushing.