Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX vs SV mags

Hunter1998

All of my experience is with MBX mags 

only issues experienced was early spring failure. Replaced all of my 40sw mags with Gram spring and followers and have performed flawless. I have a friend that only uses the SV mags and highly recommends them. 

What is the difference in the mags body?

What springs and followers do they use ?

Will they work in all 2011's

thanks

My gunsmith has SV magazines for his limited guns. Both of his limited guns have SV metal grips. My limited guns he bulit me have STI plastic grips. His SV magazines won't work in my STI plastic grips. I know there is new and old design SV magazine bodies. I'm not sure what he has. I use MBX magazines in my limited guns and they run flawlessly.

my SV mags dont work in STI plastic grip either.   new style mags.   

i would just get the SV tubes.  fill with grams followers and whatever base pad you like.   SV base pads require a hex key to remove.  

the complete SV mags with their internals will only hold 18 or 19 rounds.   

with grams internals. you get 20 reloadable all day  

Edited by cvincent

"Old Style" SV mags work just fine in STI plastic and PT SS grips fitted on STI,PT or CK 2011 frames

The 'NEW" style SV mags are proprietary  to SV guns/grips.

MBX mags are basically a copy of the old style SV mags

I have 1st gen SV mags with TTI followers and springs, plus MBX mags.  Both work flawlessly in my STI plastic grip with either an STI mag catch or a CK Arms mag catch.  I'm currently using the CK.

• 2 weeks later...
The grip has nothing to do with them not working. It is the STI frame that is the problem. 

What is the problem with the frame?

I just installed a new SV micro pocket grip on an edge and my infinity mags don't work, nor did they work with the plastic STI grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two SV's with metal grips.  I have old style and new style SV mags that work in both guns.  In the older SV i have the MBX mags would just randomly fall out after a few shots.  I sold them and dont have any to test in the new SV.  I do know the new style SV mags with the strayer logo engraved on them have the mag catch setup slightly different than the old style.  But not sure why the old style SV mags would work in my SV but the MBX would not.

MBX are great mags as far as construction and looks but I never had luck with them in my STI framed pistols even with the gut change. my friends love them and it works for them . I on the other hand sold them and went back to my old school SV mags

Edited by ogiebb

I can't remember the title of a thread but if you do some searching about sv mags and sti frames you'll find discussions about a small bevel needed on the bottom of the frames and some pics.  Then The SV Mags should work in an Sti frame