Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BDM Glock Drum Magazine

I saw this at the Black Dog Machine booth at the SAR gun show in Phoenix on Friday. IIRC it holds 70 rounds. Looks like just the ticket for PCC. Hopefully it will run reliably - BDM seem to do a good job of testing their stuff before it comes to market. I understand it will be available for sale in the coming days or weeks.

BDM%20Glock%20Drum%20Front_zpsv2k1nqlf.j

BDM%20Glock%20Drum%20Back_zpswjxwdudu.jp

While there are ways to carry drums, I do not imagine you would need to - for spares, just carry the regular 32+ round stick mags like you do now. The drum would give you as much ammo as you could every want for any USPSA stage without having to reload (for mandatory reloads, run sticks as usual). Nothing in the rules requires you to fully load any magazine, so weight need not be a problem.

I don't run a Glock-based PCC myself, but wanted make everyone aware of this product's existence.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I would really like to see a 50 round stick for the Glocks. That is one reason I started with the Colt pattern lower.

This could be a great option that would come in lighter than a Beta mag. I still wish there was just a really big stick available. I have thought about trying to weld up a couple of Glock sticks, but I don't know how the metal lining would hold up at the joint. 

1 minute ago, MikeRush said:

I would really like to see a 50 round stick for the Glocks. That is one reason I started with the Colt pattern lower.

This could be a great option that would come in lighter than a Beta mag. I still wish there was just a really big stick available. I have thought about trying to weld up a couple of Glock sticks, but I don't know how the metal lining would hold up at the joint. 

You could cut the bottom off one magazine tube and the top off another, then join the two tubes with an external metal clamp, bonding it to each tube using epoxy resin. If you make the cut square and clean up the junction, then join the two springs using a copper tube and some soft solder, it should give you a workable solution. I have done this with Colt mags (welded the tubes together) and they run pretty well. Just don't go too long because the tapered 9mm case wants to form a curve. I made an 83 round subgun magazine using this approach, but have to give the sign of the cross before every stage if I want it to run 100% :D

Hello: I think 50 round mags is more than you will ever need for a USPSA match. 38-40 rounds should get you through every stage. So far I have been using 38 round Glock mags and have not had a problem even on a 36 round stage. I will be trying a 32 round Colt mags this coming weekend and will see how that goes. I may end up welding up a Colt big stick that will hold 40 rounds or so. If the mag gets too long it ends up swinging like a pendulum. Thanks, Eric

21 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

You could cut the bottom off one magazine tube and the top off another, then join the two tubes with an external metal clamp, bonding it to each tube using epoxy resin. If you make the cut square and clean up the junction, then join the two springs using a copper tube and some soft solder, it should give you a workable solution. I have done this with Colt mags (welded the tubes together) and they run pretty well. Just don't go too long because the tapered 9mm case wants to form a curve. I made an 83 round subgun magazine using this approach, but have to give the sign of the cross before every stage if I want it to run 100% :D

Your Uzi mag weld job looks great! I love the spring idea as well.

I thought about fabricating and tacking in a sleeve to the exterior of the tubes, or maybe just exposing the steel liners and welding then up. It seems like a 31 rd factory tube plus a cut 17 round mag and a +6 pad would get me around my 50 round target. Bonding with epoxy sounds like it might work better. I will take a look and maybe sacrifice a 17 round mag to cut it up and try a few different techniques.

22 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I think 50 round mags is more than you will ever need for a USPSA match. 38-40 rounds should get you through every stage. So far I have been using 38 round Glock mags and have not had a problem even on a 36 round stage. I will be trying a 32 round Colt mags this coming weekend and will see how that goes. I may end up welding up a Colt big stick that will hold 40 rounds or so. If the mag gets too long it ends up swinging like a pendulum. Thanks, Eric

I know it isn't necessary as 36 rounds has proven to be more than adequate for any USPSA stage. I do shoot a handful of higher round  count matches a year and it would be handy for that. I shot the Left Out of Rio match last month and had to reload on almost every stage, and one had a 42 round minimum count. 50 would be sitting pretty. 

Hello: That mag looks like it could be used as a mono pod. If I end up welding some mags up I will make them around 40 rounds or so. More than that, I am sure there will be a place to reload. I will look into the Uzi mags since I can cut the slot in my milling machine and if I can find 40 round mags already that would be even better. The Colt mag AR 9mm are looking better every day. I also like the way they drop out of the gun. The steel mags drop like a stone. I hope Dawson or Taran Tactical will start making Colt mag base pads soon? Thanks, Eric

Hello: I bought some Metalform 32 round mags for $12.99 each so I think the cut and weld setup will work faster and cheaper for me. I'll use the chop saw to cut the mag tubes and then mill them square. I will then set them up on a plate and weld them up. I just have to figure out the overall length of the mag tube to get me 40 rounds or so. Should be a fun project and cheaper than that drum I think. Thanks, Eric

5 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: That mag looks like it could be used as a mono pod. If I end up welding some mags up I will make them around 40 rounds or so. More than that, I am sure there will be a place to reload. I will look into the Uzi mags since I can cut the slot in my milling machine and if I can find 40 round mags already that would be even better. The Colt mag AR 9mm are looking better every day. I also like the way they drop out of the gun. The steel mags drop like a stone. I hope Dawson or Taran Tactical will start making Colt mag base pads soon? Thanks, Eric

Is you do that little side ways flip like the old magpul videos had they really come flying out of the magwell.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running a 100 round beta mag for the last 3 months without a single malfunction. It sits up well when staging a gun and I can leave it loaded so their is no rush between stages when I am ROing.  It has not been left unloaded in 3 months with no issues.  Cost is a little steep but 3gun isn't cheap.

I ran my SGM (Korean?) 50 round .40 Glock mag in my .40 Keltec Sub 2k at a match last month and it ran perfectly.  The back is clear, so I put a little black sharpie mark at the 40 round point so I could quickly load that many between stages.  I also have a 9mm Korean mag that has ran 100% in two Glocks and my PSA 9mm carbine.  These mags are cheap but seem to actually work.  I will probably buy one of the BD drums if the tariff is not too steep.  You never get too many, or too large, magazines.