Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optic

cbrussell

I don't know if this should be posted elsewhere but price being not a factor, what is the optimum gun set up for the Carry Optic division? How about the optic? Should I go the custom Carry Optic route which seems like an oxymoron in of itself?

What gun fits your hand best?  Some like xD's, some like Glocks, some like the new Walther PPQ Match.  Some care about price more than anything.  Ignoring what I'm about to say next, I'd offer that if you're serious about CO you should start with the gun.

I'm taking advantage of the Burris offer, so I've got an FF3 coming in with nothing to put it on.  Because I can get blue label pricing, I've got a Glock 19 MOS on order with my local public safety store.  I'm also used to Glock, shoot Glocks well, and know what mods I'll drop in that fit in the USPSA guidelines - I don't need much.

I'm doing it backwards, though... and probably saving myself from buying a PPQ Match. :)  I can't argue with having a CO setup to pay with for under $600 all-in.

I don't think the gun matters too much in either Carry Optics or Production, the results from both Nationals have shown that clearly. The 'best' gun will depend very much on the competitor, I stated out with an XDM 5.25 with the original DeltaPoint and swapped over to a Q5 with the new DP-Pro about 2 years later just before the first CO Nationals. The only reason for the switch was that the Q5 fit my hand better as the grip was large enough to put my finger square onto the trigger.

Hello: I am building a Glock 34 MOS for Carry Optics. I won the Glock so that was a no brainer. I am going with a Vortex for the dot, warranty and price point. Going to start on the trigger next week and install the Vortex when it gets here. It is a blue label pistol so needs a lot of upgrades. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I am building a Glock 34 MOS for Carry Optics. I won the Glock so that was a no brainer. I am going with a Vortex for the dot, warranty and price point. Going to start on the trigger next week and install the Vortex when it gets here. It is a blue label pistol so needs a lot of upgrades. Thanks, Eric

I have a Vortex on my Victory 22 for steel challenge and love it. Does exactly what I ask it to do.

On December 3, 2016 at 0:20 PM, IronArcher said:

Depending on the weight of the optic, I would think a Tanfo Stock II, III, or Limited Pro would be excellent picks. Same goes for whatever CZ equivalents to the above are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed. These are the top production guns. Makes sense that they would be the top CO guns as well.

I have the m&p pro with the original Delta point. Building a m&p performance center with the new Delta point. The pro has a Frankenstein apex trigger that is amazing. 1911 guys try it and are amazed with it. There is a write up on it in the m&p section "apex fss in production/co" or something like that. but other then that it has the 5" tungsten guide rod and a 11lb recoil spring. The gun shoots amazing. Just passing 25,000 rounds with it. replace the springs every 5 tho or so and it stays reliable. that being said I'm partial. But the walther q5 is freaking amazing, got to handle one the other day and loved it. It's freaking ugly but feels good. The cz/tangfo I bet will be fairly popular and if you you like those do it. Im not a fan of the double pull myself. But it really does come to what gun you like to shoot. I can vouch the m&p works, its pretty cheap and it fits most people 

Tuned CZC Accushadow with aussie barrel, Springer Precision milled slide, Deltapoint Pro 7.5 MOA, Scales 2.0 grips. Pretty sure it would be difficult to spend more on a carry optics gun, and I didn't win nationals. Actually pretty sure at least one or two in our squad had 1/3 to 1/2 as much $$ into their CO gun and finished well ahead of me :-) But it was VERY fun to shoot, will be back also.

About 42 ounces with the nickel plated CZ mags, so nice and heavy w/o being close to 45 ounce limit. I imagine Tanfo nice for folks with larger hands (just as in Prod), just have to watch with Tanfo the weight as its starts much closer to 45 ounces.

Edited by trgt

On 12/2/2016 at 6:28 PM, cbrussell said:

I don't know if this should be posted elsewhere but price being not a factor, what is the optimum gun set up for the Carry Optic division? How about the optic? Should I go the custom Carry Optic route which seems like an oxymoron in of itself?

BTW, if you get a chance, try the new SIG P320RX, that's basically out of the box ready to play with the SIG Romeo optic already mounted at a really nice price. One local guy playing with that and really enjoying it.

12 hours ago, trgt said:

BTW, if you get a chance, try the new SIG P320RX, that's basically out of the box ready to play with the SIG Romeo optic already mounted at a really nice price. One local guy playing with that and really enjoying it.

At $800 MAP that's not a bad price point but I'd expect to see it drop a bit.  Past that, wasn't there some consternation amongst the SIG team around the 320 series that led to several of them shooting other places?  If I've got that wrong, tell me so - I'm not making a blind assertion, just repeating something I'd heard elsewhere.

I've got a couple XDm 5.25 with Springer Mounts and Burris FastFire 3 red dots.  Pretty reasonable cost set up.  Shot a few local CO matches and then CO Nationals with this set up.  I normally shoot a couple CZ AccuShadows with the extended custom barrel in PRD (my favorite guns), and I don't feel like I lost any competitive advantage shooting these XDm's over Shadows. The red dot is a pretty nice equalizer, and the XDm's definitely put the shot right on the red dot location.

I needed a CO gun fast for Nats, so I picked up a MOD1 Glock 17 with a Trijicon RMR on it.  I shot it at the MI Section Championship and again at Nationals.  I like it, but so far, I am still faster with irons, which is odd because in Open and PCC I'm not slow.  

I'm also setting up a CO top end for one of my CZ75 Shadows.  I haven't tried one yet, but the Walther Q5 looks promising, and I love the PPQ M2 that it's based on.

3 minutes ago, MikeFoley said:

I am still faster with irons, which is odd because in Open and PCC I'm not slow

A GM who got his CO classification recently told me that he's slower with CO because he's waiting for the dot to stop moving vs. open where the dot doesn't move.  I haven't shot CO so I don't know, and I'm still working on speed with my optic in PCC.  I may try the "both eyes open" approach to see if that helps.

1 minute ago, mreed911 said:

A GM who got his CO classification recently told me that he's slower with CO because he's waiting for the dot to stop moving vs. open where the dot doesn't move.  I haven't shot CO so I don't know, and I'm still working on speed with my optic in PCC.  I may try the "both eyes open" approach to see if that helps.

I shoot everything both eyes open, and in PCC it is even more important because your head is glued to the stock a lot.

5 hours ago, mreed911 said:

At $800 MAP that's not a bad price point but I'd expect to see it drop a bit.  Past that, wasn't there some consternation amongst the SIG team around the 320 series that led to several of them shooting other places?  If I've got that wrong, tell me so - I'm not making a blind assertion, just repeating something I'd heard elsewhere.

Give me bit more information about what you heard and I will try and clarify. The P320 is definitely capable and as I recall one was used to win Carry Optics Nationals this year. Toss in the 3.5oz tungsten guide rod and it feels very much like like steel framed gun. I don't shoot f SIG any more but will be continuing with the RX into this next season. 

13 minutes ago, alma said:

Give me bit more information about what you heard and I will try and clarify. The P320 is definitely capable and as I recall one was used to win Carry Optics Nationals this year. Toss in the 3.5oz tungsten guide rod and it feels very much like like steel framed gun. I don't shoot f SIG any more but will be continuing with the RX into this next season. 

The bits and pieces I picked up was that Sig was really hoping to make a big splash with the 320 series, had put some pressure on their team to shoot/evangelize it, and when the market didn't mature to Sig's expectations (especially against CZ pistols shooters seem to prefer more and more) there was some frustration all around.

I don't know anything about the pistol and I've never shot a Sig competitively but have never heard anything bad about the gun, just about Sig's frustration with lack of penetration in the sport.  The ability to pick up a CO-ready-to-go pistol out of the box seems like a good thing and if it's got the short reset trigger Sig offers it's probably a nice package.

I'm not good enough to out-shoot what I have now so a new competition pistol isn't on my radar (other than the G19 MOS I'm grabbing, but that's a different story and related to just getting an all around good deal).

Edited by mreed911

13 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

The bits and pieces I picked up was that Sig was really hoping to make a big splash with the 320 series, had put some pressure on their team to shoot/evangelize it, and when the market didn't mature to Sig's expectations (especially against CZ pistols shooters seem to prefer more and more) there was some frustration all around.

I don't know anything about the pistol and I've never shot a Sig competitively but have never heard anything bad about the gun, just about Sig's frustration with lack of penetration in the sport.  The ability to pick up a CO-ready-to-go pistol out of the box seems like a good thing and if it's got the short reset trigger Sig offers it's probably a nice package.

I don't know how that narrative developed but it's not accurate. Team SIG did an outstanding job of exposing the shooting sports to the P320 and helped to prove the P320 as a viable choice in competition and the firearms market overall. I think both the Team members and SIG felt we were very successful there. The popularity for the P320 has exploded and in my personal opinion that is one of the reasons that you haven't seen the Competition ready P320 on the market yet; SIG was just too busy filling back orders for the very popular existing models. When we last spoke with SIG there was still a strong intent to release a competition ready gun and I hope that we all learn more specifics at Shot Show in a few months; however, I have learned to take any estimated shipping dates with a grain of salt. 

From SIG's perspective the team had met the goal of exposing the P320 broadly and since they had some tough decisions to make regarding the marketing budget they opted to scale down the amateur team but keep on the Pros (Max and Lena). There isn't some big conspiracy beyond that. The SIG P320 is still in the great choice for competition even if the new marketing team doesn't think that a large amateur sponsor model is the right way to get the word out. I noticed that FN also killed its team recently and I suspect there will be a lot of additional belt tightening now that new restrictive gun regulations aren't the concern for at least the next four years. 

54 minutes ago, alma said:

I don't know how that narrative developed but it's not accurate. Team SIG did an outstanding job of exposing the shooting sports to the P320 and helped to prove the P320 as a viable choice in competition and the firearms market overall. I think both the Team members and SIG felt we were very successful there. The popularity for the P320 has exploded and in my personal opinion that is one of the reasons that you haven't seen the Competition ready P320 on the market yet; SIG was just too busy filling back orders for the very popular existing models. When we last spoke with SIG there was still a strong intent to release a competition ready gun and I hope that we all learn more specifics at Shot Show in a few months; however, I have learned to take any estimated shipping dates with a grain of salt. 

From SIG's perspective the team had met the goal of exposing the P320 broadly and since they had some tough decisions to make regarding the marketing budget they opted to scale down the amateur team but keep on the Pros (Max and Lena). There isn't some big conspiracy beyond that. The SIG P320 is still in the great choice for competition even if the new marketing team doesn't think that a large amateur sponsor model is the right way to get the word out. I noticed that FN also killed its team recently and I suspect there will be a lot of additional belt tightening now that new restrictive gun regulations aren't the concern for at least the next four years. 

Good information and I appreciate it.  Nothing but respect for anyone who commits to be a sponsored shooter - that's definitely a two-way street in terms of expectations and results at any level.

Like I said, nothing against the 320 at all, and it's interesting to see CO pushing manufacturers to make optics-ready pistols.  I wonder how long before we see the first CO-equipped pistol as standard police issue adopted at a department somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

I run the same Glock 17 that I use for Production (sometimes Lim Minor) but I have a second slide that stays zeroed and has a suppressor sights for co-witness.  I run a RMR and I'm still quite happy with the setup, that is after drew the gun a few thousand times until the dot came to me eye naturally.