Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optic

cbrussell

Glock MOS is a good platform, or a milled 34 slide.  Optic is low to bore, which keeps the dot constantly in view with 147/130 PF and a 13 lb recoil spring.  Whatever platform you choose, I believe maintaining the dot in recoil is what makes this division faster than production and justifies the higher HFs.   Also, reference another thread discussing the merits of co-witness irons - they seem to help subconsciously find the dot when shooting strong/weak hand classifiers and/or executing hard leans.  Others disagree, but maybe something to look into when deciding on a platform.

I've been shooting CO consistently for the last few months and I'm a big fan of my Glock MOS 34 with deltapoint pro (2.5 moa dot). It's ran like a champ and, coming from production with the same platform, it feels like cheating sometimes. If I were to do it again, I would've probably given a 17MOS a try instead as there's a substantial difference in price and it's not entirely clear if there's a real benefit in accuracy or muzzle velocity with the extra .75" barrel length from the 34 (obviously, sight radius isn't a concern in CO). 

As for the optic, I have no regrets with the deltapoint pro. It has a huge window and is super durable and user-friendly. I'm looking forward to seeing what leupold is going to release for the deltapoint line of products at SHOT show this January. 

• 4 weeks later...

By the end of the week I'll have an 8 MOA Fastfire III on a Glock 19 MOS.  Looking forward to the combo (and comparing against the 3 MOA Vortex Viper on my Victory 22, the difference being the smaller dot is workable there because the optic is frame-mounted on that gun - I'm expecting the 8 MOA to be a bit faster to acquire in CO).

I shoot a 17 in Production. I just set up a 17 MOS with a Deltapoint Pro for CO. In dry fire so far there has been no hunting for the dot, even weak hand only. I'll need to do more work, but would recommend that if you already have a good feeling for a Production division pistol, you may want to think about that as a CO base.

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, davidlover said:

So, with the new CO rules earlier this year, does a SP-01 Shadow, milled, with an optic, and an empty mag (extended, of course), actually make the 45oz weight limit? There’s no way a shadow 2 can make it, but the original?

My Shadow II makes it, 44.4 oz. You'll need a very light optic and grips.

2 hours ago, Ck867 said:

Can you advise what optic, grips, base pads you are running?

Gen one Leupold Delta point

Dove tail mount

PD plastic grips

Henning base pads

Grams follower and spring

minimal mag well opening

Front sight removed

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:55 PM, mreed911 said:

What gun fits your hand best?  Some like xD's, some like Glocks, some like the new Walther PPQ Match.  Some care about price more than anything.  Ignoring what I'm about to say next, I'd offer that if you're serious about CO you should start with the gun.

I'm taking advantage of the Burris offer, so I've got an FF3 coming in with nothing to put it on.  Because I can get blue label pricing, I've got a Glock 19 MOS on order with my local public safety store.  I'm also used to Glock, shoot Glocks well, and know what mods I'll drop in that fit in the USPSA guidelines - I don't need much.

I'm doing it backwards, though... and probably saving myself from buying a PPQ Match. :)  I can't argue with having a CO setup to pay with for under $600 all-in.

The hardest thing about red dots that I have found is, are they bright enough for say vegas or Phoenix or can you see them in the sun light off a white piece of steel.  The dots are much better now then they used to be but if you can find a few that friends have test them out make sure they are adjustable...good luck

• 2 months later...

Leupold Deltapoint Pro with 2.5 moa dot or the CMore RTS2 with 6 moa dot probably have the brightest dots   (yes they are both more expensive optics  but both are probably higher quality and will withstand more punishment than many of the cheaper dots......my least expensive choice would be the Vortec Venom in 6 moa as it is bright enough and holds up pretty well along with the lifetime warranty and company backing being excellent   (note all these optics also have either top or side opening battery compartments so you do not have to remove the optic to change batteries)

Edited by race1911