Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build a 2011? Or Just Give Up Now?

akeefer

Hey all,

So, I once had an STI Eagle 5.1, got it at a good deal, sold it off at a good deal. I have the itch and really my heart is in the 1911 style so I want another one. Funds aren't great, so I'm trying to get by how I can. I have done a lot of work on my own guns, with some success (issues have been resolved by resorting to the community). 

So I've got it in my head that I would like to attempt to build a 2011. Buy a frame, a used STI grip and a Para or Caspian slide. Try to fit those, and if that doesn't work well, give it to my local gunsmith to correct. I have fit beavertails, sears and hammers in my own 1911's to my satisfaction.

Is this a bad idea? 

I have considered going the RIA way and buying a double stack to mess around with, but I really want a basic STI style instead. I am very finicky and know that I may regret getting a RIA or Para if I bought one. So I'm siding on not doing that route. 

Well, if you have an older STI you want to sell, please PM me. ;-) Otherwise, give me some thoughts on this thread to whether or not this is an acceptable idea for a home gunsmith. Obviously I would purchase a slide pre-cut for serrations and sights, as I don't have milling tools. If too much for me, I could pay a gunsmith to fit a barrel and bushing, not a big deal.

Well, that gets this off my chest. Let me know what you think. I appreciate any helpful replies and anyone looking to sell a used 2011. =P

Aaron

I admire folks that can successfully pull something like this off. But that and $2 will buy you a cup of coffee.

There have been some really good deals on used 2011s lately. If it were me, I'd save myself the trouble and just wait for the next great deal on a used one.

Whatever you do, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've built a couple, but I have a small mill and had some prior experience on 1911s.  In order to do the slide to frame fit, you have to start by removing around .006" - .010" from the bottom of the slide and around .003" from each of the rails before it will start.  This has to be done precisely.  If you take too much, a pro might be able to salvage it, but it's going to be expensive and might cost more than the parts are worth.  Fitting the barrel properly is probably the most critical part of the whole process and requires special tools and experience or someone knowledgeable to help you through it.  I'm not saying a beginner couldn't build a 2011 if they're mechanically inclined, patient, and do their research, but most folks will end up scrapping some parts along the way.

Edited by tyler2you

I started with a 9x12 surface plate, some files, sandpaper, and a dremel tool.  Still managed to build guns that shot a half inch in a ransom rest and looked as good as anything from the big names in the magazines.  It's not difficult if you're good with your hands, understand what you're doing, and take your time.  You will make mistakes, but probably 95% of them you'll figure out a way to fix.  That may involve scrapping some parts, or doing things different than you originally intended.  But the best way to learn is by doing.  The good thing is, there are plenty of instructional videos online that cover just about every step of the process, and there are tremendous resources like this forum.  Plenty of smart people here are willing to give advice and help you get through the rough patches.

i'm not sure how handy you are, but this is/would be my experience.... You can build a $1500 gun that only cost you $2300.   building your own for the first time will require some tools, some special practice, probably messing up some parts in the process. Buying a decent condition used one will be much cheaper.

I tried to build my own 1911, and I'm handy but it was my first attempt. I ended up spending probably $700 in parts for a gun that wasn't so well fit. sold it (with full disclosure) basically for parts for like $400. I'm ok with it, I had a good time learning. 

There seem to be a lot of 2011s up for sale. probably people were waiting to see who won the election, since they would probably go up in price. Seem to be letting them go now. I would suggest either saving up a bit, selling something to help pay for it, or waiting till after christmas. People seem to upgrade or be surprised with credit card bills and sell stuff in a hurry. 

I have watched people spend more money trying to save than a good pre-owned gun would cost. Also not to mention the time spent building and trying to get pistol to perform correctly. One or two mistakes can be costly 

patience in the used gun market is important 

if you buy It local you can shoot the gun to make sure it is up to your standards

I fit a 1911, and it has served me well.  Pretty good frame to slide fit, I used a tool I found on the web and did it really slowly; also used a piece of glass for a flat surface.  I really enjoyed doing it.  Gun shoots true and is reliable.  I was going to do a double stack as well but wanted a sight tracker; so I had lone Star put a short block together and I finished it.  His fit was much better than mine, perfect.  I almost enjoy building/working on them more than shooting.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:41 PM, akeefer said:

Ok thanks for your input!! Anyone else?

Sure.

DIY guns can be fun to build, but can also be a nightmare with out the proper tools.

A collaboration with a local gunsmith might be a good way to go. He can install front and rear sights, relieve the ejection port (if necessary), etc.

Good luck.

akeefer, think about what you might want to do it the future.  If you have none of the tools you'll need to measure and shape, you'll have to buy them.   That will be pretty expensive if you are planning to build only one gun.  If that is the case, wait for a good used one and buy it.

When I decided to build my first 1911 I figured I could do it on the cheap, tooling wise.  I already had the measuring tools from my tool & die making days.  I had a good Dremel.  I was very surprised when I went back and added up the cost of all the other things I had to buy.  I admit I overdid it, but it still is costly.

BTW, if you decide to do this, buy the frame and slide from the same manufacturer.  It will save you a lot of grief.

The suggestion above to collaborate with your local gunsmith is a good one.  I did just that prior to my first build.  I wanted to know if it got to difficult he would take over.  He said yes, so I went on.  Fortunately, the build turned out splendedly and I didn't need his services.

Edited by zzt

While they are expensive, I have never heard anyone complain about having to many tools.  Most of the stuff will be specific, but can be used again.  You also might have a buddy who will want to borrow them.  I wouldn't think you'll save that much, likely spend more.  But new tools, new skill set, and the personal satisfaction was worth the cost to me.  2011 and cheap are like jumbo and shrimp; sort of an oxymoron.

One thing as far as money goes, was allowing me to build it Johnny Cash style; one piece at a time.

Edited by andrewtac

20 minutes ago, cmalin06 said:

The reward from building a gun will be much greater than buying.  Although if will also be much more difficult to sell the gun if that time ever comes...

First point is true.  Second depends on the quality of workmanship. 

I self assembled my backup gun.  It works fine but isn't pretty.  I think I've got about $950 invested in it total, but that's with picking up some used parts like the hammer, sear and barrel.   It also sports some oddball features (a Para Ordnance slide on a 2011 frame just ain't right :)).  

Honestly - if I had to rely on it for my primary competition gun though, I'd probably look for a decent used gun.  Not to mention I've seen some sellers on Gunbroker selling new Edge's for pretty close to $1600 recently.  No matter how much you scrimp you're still not to save so much building yourself over that that you can't save a bit more for it.  

Edited by MGMorden