Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which would you buy in bulk for 9 Major?

cheers623

Autocomp or HS-6 in bulk...under a 124gr pill?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Wanna shoot more and load develop less!

• Autocomp
    • HS-6

124 Grain JHP WAC 6.7 Grains 1.155

168,500 PF out of my 4.5" barrel no Holes, binary comp.

I don't like to waste time loading and screwing with powders or loads.  

A class Open heading higher by practicing and not wasting unnecessary time on the loading bench trying to get a tiny bit better load.  

17 hours ago, ShortBus said:

if you want to climb to the top ranks, developing a load that works best for you  will help. 

That's what I meant - if you're "puttzing around", like I am, down in the B's with little

expectation to ever get to M or GM, the WAC is great - and the HS6 is good too (but it

fills the case more and is dirtier_.

BUT, if you want to shoot a $5,000 race gun, and spend $10,000- $15,000 / year getting to

The Top, I'd spend more time experimenting with the N350's and 3n38's, etc and try to get

The Best, Flattest load for my gun.

BUT, for ME, as a B shooter,  it's not worth the effort - WAC is just great -  :) 

I've used both in trubors and noticed little difference in the two. Usually wind up buying what's available with the best price. Main advantages to AC is I use it for minor loads as well and have a lot less spillage while reloading for major. It's a finer grain and takes a little less powder than hs6 to get the same PF.

Right now I'm loading for two guns. Open and Limited.

I'm buying brass (9mm) as it comes available. I have a good source for once fired Winchester, and at the moment have about 10,000 pin cleaned and polished cases. I don't think you can ever have enough, especially since we have just come out of a shortage on some of the stuff we use, and who knows when there might be shortages again?

Anyway, I'll use what I have the most of, and that's AUTOCOMP.

Edited by MikieM

1 hour ago, b18prl said:

How come nobody mentioned the new 572 powder?

Because the 2 choices are AC or HS6... plus there's not a ton of data out there yet for 572. AC and HS6 are much more popular for 9 major. 

Edited by js1130146

4 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

I mean the OP is asking us to help him decide between AC and HS6

Yeah. We could all give opinions but sometimes we just want to know an answer to a specific question.

I have stayed with WAC after trying HS6 and a few others. HS6 felt only marginally "better" with 115's. No real difference when using 124's. Throw in case fullness and reloading issues I just didn't see enough difference to leave WAC. Plus, now I have so much of it I have to lie about how much I have! :)

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Yeah. We could all give opinions but sometimes we just want to know an answer to a specific question.

I have stayed with WAC after trying HS6 and a few others. HS6 felt only marginally "better" with 115's. No real difference when using 124's. Throw in case fullness and reloading issues I just didn't see enough difference to leave WAC. Plus, now I have so much of it I have to lie about how much I have! :)

Sarge, this reply contains some helpful perspective too. The case fullness would be an issue for me...OCD rules the roost on my reloading bench...can't stand powder spillage...

However, it doesn't seem that HS-6 would present a terrible problem with that issue. Or...does it? No experience to rely on personally. Any help is appreciated!

1 hour ago, cheers623 said:

Sarge, this reply contains some helpful perspective too. The case fullness would be an issue for me...OCD rules the roost on my reloading bench...can't stand powder spillage...

However, it doesn't seem that HS-6 would present a terrible problem with that issue. Or...does it? No experience to rely on personally. Any help is appreciated!

FWIW, I have no spillage issues with HS6. BUT I tend to run my press on the slower side when loading 9 major. But I can see how it would be fairly easy to cause spillage if I picked the pace up.

1 hour ago, cheers623 said:

If I remember right, with MG 115's I was running around 9 grains. That's a pretty full 9mm case. I'm not investing in bullet feeders, bearings, etc, so I can run my press slow. :)

Buy everything you can in bulk N105, 3n38, federal match SPP, starline Supercomp brass and 20 to 30k Rainier Ballostic plated bullets cause they hold together without issues at and above 1550fps. Remember you can't just go with the cheapest price all the time. I do suggest try lots of combos everything. Most every gun shoots atleast a little or alot different with different reloading components.. Good luck & keep it fun..