Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which would you buy in bulk for 9 Major?

cheers623

Autocomp or HS-6 in bulk...under a 124gr pill?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Powder Valley announced that they're raising prices in 2017. Eventually going to shoot Open and have decided on 124gr PD hollowpoints and either Autocomp or HS-6 for 9 Major out of a 5" Trubor barrel with no holes. I'm going to lay in a large supply for next season and based on the  group-think of BEnos Open Borg-Collective have narrowed it down to these two powders. I know the popular answer is "Try both and see which one is right for YOU"...however, I'm of the opinion that it's really a wash in the end and that it's more important to just start logging time behind the gun. If you were going to just start loading one of these two powders....which one would it be? 

Thanks in advance!

Gonna be keeping only one 9mm projectile in the supply line. I've got an awesome 9 Minor load for my wife in Production and Limited, and for general practice with our various carry guns. That load uses 124gr PDs. A long time ago...during my first go-round in Open, I tried a bunch of loads with both 115 and 124 Montana Golds. Out of a 5" gun with a traditional comp and no popple-holes, I decided I preferred the 124gr over the 115. 

2 minutes ago, user293 said:

So since it's a wash go with the cheaper one then. Unless there the same price then just pick. Auto comp is cleaner and needs less powder from what I've heard so buy it and run it. 

WAC is 9% cheaper and takes 15% less powder, so I guess from a purely economic standpoint WAC is a better deal.  In that same vain the extra powder required is much cheaper than the difference in cost between 124s and 115s ;)

I haven't tried either as I am using  CFE Pistol due to availability. Personally, out of the two choices, I would use WAC, and that is what I would use now except it is harder to get where I am at.

They are both good powders, however, you use a grain less with the WAC compared to HS6, and apparently the felt recoil is better from what I have read. 

Edited by abb1

1 hour ago, abb1 said:

I haven't tried either as I am using  CFE Pistol due to availability. Personally, out of the two choices, I would use WAC, and that is what I would use now except it is harder to get where I am at.

They are both good powders, however, you use a grain less with the WAC compared to HS6, and apparently the felt recoil is better from what I have read. 

CFE and WAC are the same.

HS6 is better. Buy that. Don't futz around with silly fast powder. Clean your guns once in a lifetime and it won't matter that it's dirty. Moar gas = moar gooder

I use WAC, Silhouette and HS-6.  Silhouette burn the cleanest.  You use about 0.1gr more Silhouette than Autocomp.  I like HS-6.  It is softer shooting, but the dot doesn't track straight up and down for me.  Don't know why.  Autocomp and Silhouette do recoil a little more, and the muzzle rises a tiny bit more.  I use them because the dot returns automagically.  Straight up; straight back down.

5 hours ago, cheers623 said:

Eventually going to shoot Open and have decided on 124gr PD hollowpoints and either Autocomp or HS-6 for 9 Major

How are you rated and what is your 1-2 year expectation of where you want to end up?

If you are a B/C shooter and plan on staying there - order the WAC (I am a B and shoot

WAC/124gr).

If you want to be an A or M, then you might want to try one of the "other powders" - Silhouette, etc.    :)

8 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you want to be an A or M, then you might want to try one of the "other powders" - Silhouette, etc.    :)

Jack - Please explain your reasoning for the statement, I'm truly curious. 

45 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How are you rated and what is your 1-2 year expectation of where you want to end up?

If you are a B/C shooter and plan on staying there - order the WAC (I am a B and shoot

WAC/124gr).

Also curious. IMO choosing one or the other will have no ill affect on what class you will potentially be. Test if you can one vs the other. make a choice and stick to it. spend less time experimenting and more time practicing.

I'm an A class shooter on the verge of making Master in Limited and Single Stack. While spending the time piddling around with different powders is fun, spending more time with one powder, trying different weight loads, and finding one that runs the comp best while also getting trigger time seems....more fun and productive. Neither powder will make me better...duh...just looking for experienced Open shooters who've tried both in a 5" no-holes 9 Major gun and that have informed opinions about which one they'd buy 32lbs of.

One of my most highly respected shooting friends started with N350 for .38  Supercomp a number of years back based on my recommendation along with others who had experience with that caliber. Now he's a GM and one of the best Open shooters on the scene. He's never found any reason to experiment or try anything else. I'm just throwing this thread out there in hopes of finding out if there's a similar consensus between the Autocomp and HS-6...because when I do buy whichever powder...it's going be a bunch! Thanks for the helpful feedback thus far...greatly appreciated. Keep it coming...

We all have that friend, let's call him Steve, that spends more time messing around with different bullets, and powders, and spring weights, and holster positions, and different length magazines, and everything else, instead of just practicing. There is nothing wrong with liking to try different gear and playing with that. Nothing at all. But, realize that by doing that you are not going to get any better. If your motivation is to win and get gooder, then choose one and shoot. 

I have shot both WAC and HS-6. I have shot 115 and 124s. I settled on HS-6 and 115s, and don't change it anymore, nor do I have any intentions to. I would use HS-6 regardless of whether I was planning to shoot 115 or 124s, whether my gun had holes or not, whether it was a full size or shorty or anything else. It works, and I have no reason to change. 

1 hour ago, shooterDrew said:

Go with WAC. More shooting for the dollar. Tiny bit more, but more is more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In principle I agree with the argument that cheaper = shooting more, and that is the best way to get better. But making that argument about the difference in powder cost? Get out of here. The difference between shooting CFE (the same as WAC, but a couple dollars cheaper for some reason) with 124s and HS-6 with 124s is half  of a cent. If you shoot "actual" WAC then the difference is only 4 tenths of a cent. The cost difference between 115s and 124s is much more significant, if you are a hardcore bean counter. 

I shoot a stock trubor,no holes 9 major..I like hs6 and precision delta 124 gr hp,never tried 115 gr..

shoots flat dot easy to track..tried wac.

dont know what 115 do ?never tried them,

We all have that friend, let's call him Steve, that spends more time messing around with different bullets, and powders, and spring weights, and holster positions, and different length magazines, and everything else, instead of just practicing. There is nothing wrong with liking to try different gear and playing with that. Nothing at all. But, realize that by doing that you are not going to get any better. If your motivation is to win and get gooder, then choose one and shoot. 

I have shot both WAC and HS-6. I have shot 115 and 124s. I settled on HS-6 and 115s, and don't change it anymore, nor do I have any intentions to. I would use HS-6 regardless of whether I was planning to shoot 115 or 124s, whether my gun had holes or not, whether it was a full size or shorty or anything else. It works, and I have no reason to change. 

In principle I agree with the argument that cheaper = shooting more, and that is the best way to get better. But making that argument about the difference in powder cost? Get out of here. The difference between shooting CFE (the same as WAC, but a couple dollars cheaper for some reason) with 124s and HS-6 with 124s is half  of a cent. If you shoot "actual" WAC then the difference is only 4 tenths of a cent. The cost difference between 115s and 124s is much more significant, if you are a hardcore bean counter. 

I agree. It's not an amount of any significance.. but it's an easy way to make a decision. WAC cheaper and still quality, go with that. Then get shooting.

I personally load WAC. I also have a decent quantity of HS-6. Eventually I'll try that, but probably not till I exhaust my WAC. I really am not concerned with possible different recoil impulse or comp behavior at this point. I'm fairly new to open so I'm learning to shoot the gun before worrying about minutia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello: Buy HS-6 and load some 115's for your Tru Bor. 8.9 grains of HS-6, Winchester small rifle primers, Montana Gold 115 JHP's and load to 1.170" OAL. That will take you as far as you want to go. Remember 1 pound of powder will load 786 rounds when using 8.9 grains. Thanks, Eric