Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POI Shift with Reloads

TalkingMonkey

I started reloading about a year ago and have loaded and shot around 7,000 rounds since then. So far, I’ve had no issues with function or accuracy with any of my Gen 3 Glocks (G19, G34). Recently, however, I’ve noticed some strange behavior when shot through a Gen 4 G34. At 50ft, the Gen 4 is grouping 2-inches high and 2-inches left. The same gun shoots POI/POA with Federal HST 124gr, Speer Gold Dot 124gr, and my friend’s light 147gr reloads. Any thoughts as to why I'm seeing a POI shift from my reloads only with the Gen 4 G34? 

This is the load I’m using:
X-treme copper plated, 9mm, 124gr RN
4gr Titegroup
1.150" OAL
Crimp is about .379" - .378" DIA
CCI Small Pistol Primers
Primarily Federal and Blazer brass
Loaded on a Dillon 650

Velocity is around 1131fps

I've verified this behavior a few times and have even had a couple other people shoot the gun and experience the same POI shift.

You may try swapping barrels to see if it follows the gun.  Only other difference is the recoil spring.  I have a gen4 that does this.  Had several people shoot it and tried several brands of ammo but still the same results (high left).  Swapped barrels and it improved so I bought a KKM barrel but still not as good as my gen3's. 

16 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Change your OAL or try +\- 0.2 grains in charge weight, or change powders or bullets entirely, and see what happens.

Some bullets or bullet & powder combinations don't like certain guns. Just the way it is.

Absolutely! I learned by accident that Groups varied from dead on, to high right, low left etc by changing oal, charge weight, bullet brand etc

Different primers can cause a shift in location of a group. Buy a few boxes of different brands of primers, load 10 rounds, and shoot them on different targets. See which one groups closer to point of aim.

3n38 shoots like a champ but AutoComp & HS-6 are all over the place. Then the HS-6 & AutoComp shoot great outta guns 2 & 3 but 3n38 is a joke. You can't hit cardboard at 25 yards. Gun 4 3n38 only. Another "one of those things". Cheers....

i believe I'm gong to try some Acurate #7. But only because VV is stupid expensive but it is great powder after you see the finance officer to get enough for a year, lmao.