Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Barrel and aftermarket guiderods/springs

Jayce

I searched through the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question. Please direct me if it has been addressed.

Right now I'm shooting an M&P9 4.25" & 5". There's WC combat barrel in the FS (bought it the day of the APEX release *slaps self*) and the stock barrel with a single dimple. 

I've run SSS guide rods and ISMI springs and they both run fine. But I'm considering plugging in APEX barrels into both.

Has anyone run aftermarket springs/guiderods in conjunction with the APEX barrels? The reason I ask is that the APEX barrels I know were designed to work with the stock spring. I just don't want to spend the money on a non-starter.

Thanks!

With the Apex my gun shoots around 2" as best I can determine.

I'm happy with than since it was a 10" gun with 135-147gr ammo. I would have felt differently if my gun already shot into 3" at 25.

In my opinion and likely contrary to what Apex would say, the Apex barrels are a fantastic cure for the guns that won't hit the broad side of a barn due to early barrel designs and/or being among the loosest to leave the factory in terms of sloppy slide/barrel/frame fitting. They aren't intended to take an already accurate M&P and turn it into a 1911-like firearm that shoots sub-1" groups.

I wouldn't spend the money.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

With the Apex my gun shoots around 2" as best I can determine.

I'm happy with than since it was a 10" gun with 135-147gr ammo. I would have felt differently if my gun already shot into 3" at 25.

In my opinion and likely contrary to what Apex would say, the Apex barrels are a fantastic cure for the guns that won't hit the broad side of a barn due to early barrel designs and/or being among the loosest to leave the factory in terms of sloppy slide/barrel/frame fitting. They aren't intended to take an already accurate M&P and turn it into a 1911-like firearm that shoots sub-1" groups.

I wouldn't spend the money.

Thanks. I mean the WC barrel shoots well and the one dimple barrel in my 5" shoots fine. 

I just feel like I'm missing out on getting the APEX barrels.

I mean, if you want to spend $400 for two guns to say APEX GRADE on the barrel hoods, don't let me stop you. It's your money.

...and the Wilson barrel would probably go for a pretty penny on eBay.

I'd rather buy $400 worth of bullets/primers/powder to feed the Dillon: when I have ammo on hand, I tend to go practice a lot and actually improve. ;) 

Absolutely. I mean it wouldn't be all at once being that I only shoot one gun at a time. But, I don't roll my own and actually just dryfire and shoot matches.

I was just gathering data on whether to actually go ahead and buy them because I'll have the versatility to play with spring weights.

9 hours ago, Jayce said:

I searched through the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question. Please direct me if it has been addressed.

Right now I'm shooting an M&P9 4.25" & 5". There's WC combat barrel in the FS (bought it the day of the APEX release *slaps self*) and the stock barrel with a single dimple. 

I've run SSS guide rods and ISMI springs and they both run fine. But I'm considering plugging in APEX barrels into both.

Has anyone run aftermarket springs/guiderods in conjunction with the APEX barrels? The reason I ask is that the APEX barrels I know were designed to work with the stock spring. I just don't want to spend the money on a non-starter.

Thanks!

It might just be me, and I've definitely heard the APEX team talk about the barrel being designed around the stock spring, but I think that's more of a general cautionary statement (kind of like "for off-road use only" or "Do not feed the bears"). I have a 4.25" Gunsmith Fit with the non-captured SSS guide rod along with ISMI 11lb, 13lb, and 15lb springs. I was fortunate enough to have the crew at Apex do the fitting. The SSS guide rod fits with no issue.

Data

I can only speak to my 7 months of running this barrel (I'd say that 5k-6k rounds to date would be a fair guess). Here are some combinations that I have tried:

11lb with 100-105pf Steel Challenge handloads (105 grain Bayou. I also ran about 100 of the 95 grain bayou) = No problems. Even running all 8 stages twice in one day on a monthly basis.

11lb with ~130pf handloads (147 Grain Bayou) = Works, but I don't feel comfortable with this combo. Could end up wrecking the frame. 

13lb with 100-105pf Steel Challenge handloads (105 grain Bayou) = Rarely enough energy to properly function. 15lb with 100pf . . . it feels like (what I imagine) a non-recoiling prop gun feels like--the slide opened a tiny bit, but the case didn't fly out. Only made that mistake once.

13lb with ~130pf handloads (147 Grain Bayou) = No problems.

15lb with ~130pf handloads (147 Grain Bayou) = No problems. This actually feels great. I'm sticking with this setup

15lb with ~130pf handloads (124 Berrys Plated Flat Nose) = No problems.

15lb with ~131pf Atlanta Arms Select (124 grain @1060fps per their box) = No problems.

Match vid that kind of shows the setup I currently have:

USPSA Match with 15lb and 147 Bayous @~130PF

Remarks

In the end I think I'll stick with the 15lb for USPSA and 11lb for Steel Challenge.

I also let the local University's Marksmanship club try it out on their range nights. They've bought Freedom 115's and Winchester White Box--I don't recall the weight. Earlier in the year I had the 13lb spring and since September I've kept my 15lb spring in there and those two brands run fine. Atlanta, Freedom, and Winchester are probably the only factory loads that I can think of that I have run in the barrel thus far.

I think I've cleaned my barrel twice since getting it in April of this year.

As a small test, I shot the Berry's Steel Open (about a week after I got the barrel with only about 100 rounds through it) where the minimum round count was 500+ or something like that. Worked fine. I have had some hiccups (failure to return to battery), but I'm not quite sure if it's the barrel or the crappy range brass--Recently got a case gauge and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Whether or not you pick one up or put the money towards something else is entirely up to you. Hope the data above helps.

Edited by Rez805
Not quite sure why it quoted the OP twice.

8,000 flawless rounds, after fitting the barrel so that it won't quite go into battery when cycled slowly. As per their instructions.

(500 rounds later it loosened up and will slip right into battery just like the factory barrel)

I run a 13lb ISMI spring on the factory guide rod - I have no idea why anyone would replace the perfectly worthy steel factory guide rod in Production.

It has run flawlessly with quality controlled match ammo, and was only cleaned twice in that time. The gun still runs when dirty (see below)... it just shoots where you point it.

IMG_7180.JPG

24 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Wow. Should wipe it out while you have the slide off.

I re-oil everything anytime it's going to be fired. But I'm not a fan of keeping guns spotless unless I have a major match that weekend. Then it gets detail stripped and worked for two hours until its absolutely spotless.

I just can't stop at "field strip and clean halfway." If the gun is getting cleaned, everything is coming out. I'm too OCD to pretend a field-stripped-only wipedown with junk left in the bottom of the sear housing is a 'clean' gun.

I believe that was about 4,000 to 5,000 rounds without cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 8:38 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I re-oil everything anytime it's going to be fired. But I'm not a fan of keeping guns spotless unless I have a major match that weekend. Then it gets detail stripped and worked for two hours until its absolutely spotless.

I just can't stop at "field strip and clean halfway." If the gun is getting cleaned, everything is coming out. I'm too OCD to pretend a field-stripped-only wipedown with junk left in the bottom of the sear housing is a 'clean' gun.

I believe that was about 4,000 to 5,000 rounds without cleaning.

how does the 13# ismi spring feel? have you compared it to a 15#?