Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's discuss fast reloads

GARD72977

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The speed of a reload is often not a significant factor for match performance. 

There's some stuff to consider, I mean reload speed is more significant in SS or production as you are doing more of them, but if it is during movement then, hell I dunno. 

The only spot that reload time is really conspicuous is classifiers. as they are all pretty much 6 reload 6. 

As far as match performance, I've never seen reloads make or break someone, 

So much more important are movement and transitions. 

crushing the reloads makes for a dry fire rock star, who then gets his ass kicked at matches by a guy who moves well and shoots early. 

But hey, it's all a game, so practice the part you dig on!

17 minutes ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

The speed of a reload is often not a significant factor for match performance. 

There's some stuff to consider, I mean reload speed is more significant in SS or production as you are doing more of them, but if it is during movement then, hell I dunno. 

The only spot that reload time is really conspicuous is classifiers. as they are all pretty much 6 reload 6. 

As far as match performance, I've never seen reloads make or break someone, 

So much more important are movement and transitions. 

crushing the reloads makes for a dry fire rock star, who then gets his ass kicked at matches by a guy who moves well and shoots early. 

An excellent reload is something that signifies to me high level gun handling ability, which is obviously a significant factor for match performance. No you usually don't win a match based off reload ability, but generally if you have a crappy reload there's a pretty good chance the rest of your gun handling ability is kind of crappy too.

29 minutes ago, Jake Di Vita said:

An excellent reload is something that signifies to me high level gun handling ability, which is obviously a significant factor for match performance. No you usually don't win a match based off reload ability, but generally if you have a crappy reload there's a pretty good chance the rest of your gun handling ability is kind of crappy too.

yep, the reload is a reflection of overall investment in the game. But I've seen some guys with 1,5 reloads crush ass at match overalls too. 

You need to be doing multiple things simultaneously.  Releasing your grip.  Hitting the mag release button at the same time that your weak hand grabs the next mag, while bringing the gun into position to insert the next mag.  Looking at the magwell while inserting the magazine, looking back to the target while seating the magazine, regripping, aiming... all that stuff.  Usually while running is involved.  How many people practice reloading while running?

I put super fast reloads in the same category as a super fast sub second draw and 1st shot.  Both are great and if you can do both that's awesome but rarely will those be the reason you will win a stage.

The .2-.5 you give up on a slower reload can be made up with efficient movement and quicker shooting.

12 minutes ago, ckfarris said:

I put super fast reloads in the same category as a super fast sub second draw and 1st shot.  Both are great and if you can do both that's awesome but rarely will those be the reason you will win a stage.

The .2-.5 you give up on a slower reload can be made up with efficient movement and quicker shooting.

To quote the kool aid man.....

" OH YEAH!!!!!"

1 hour ago, ckfarris said:

Maybe, but at the top level those tenths of a second matter big time. I've lost matches by a tenth of a match point before more than once.

I don't think one should ever use reasoning along the lines of "well it doesn't matter that much" as a reason to not have uncommonly good ability in a mundane skill. Reloading is one of many fundamentals of USPSA. Usually the shooter who executes the fundamentals the best over the course of a match will win that match. If you want to compete at the elite level all fundamentals need to be highly developed.

7 hours ago, ckfarris said:

Rough numbers but food for thought - my last match time was about 150 seconds with about 15 reloads (restricted to 10 rounds).  At say 1.5 seconds each that means I spent 22.5 seconds or 15% of my time reloading.

Sure I was moving for just about all of those but I know I move more efficiently when I am not reloading. 

53 minutes ago, my00wrx1 said:

Rough numbers but food for thought - my last match time was about 150 seconds with about 15 reloads (restricted to 10 rounds).  At say 1.5 seconds each that means I spent 22.5 seconds or 15% of my time reloading.

Sure I was moving for just about all of those but I know I move more efficiently when I am not reloading. 

That's very interesting.  I have never broken it down quite like that before.

8 hours ago, Jake Di Vita said:

Usually the shooter who executes the fundamentals the best over the course of a match will win that match. If you want to compete at the elite level all fundamentals need to be highly developed.

My personal belief that a sub-one-second draw and reload are desireable stems from what you just touched on.

Consistency. He who executes the best over the course of the entire match, wins.

We all agree that our match pace will not be our  aggressive "balls to the wall, risk throwing your gun or mag across the room" practice pace.

A man who has practiced a 0.8 second reload endlessly is someone who can drill 1.2sec loads with boring consistency on match day, and that's something that is definitely desireable. Most of us fumble a mag change or two during the course of a match. I know I'd love to gain back those 2 lost seconds.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I was doing a few reloads yesterday at 7 yards and was noticing that when I tried to go fast, I was doing little more than pointing the gun in the general direction of the target on the next shot. Still in the 2.5-3 second range, so I have a lot of work to do.

38 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

A man who has practiced a 0.8 second reload endlessly is someone who can drill 1.2sec loads with boring consistency on match day, and that's something that is definitely desireable. Most of us fumble a mag change or two during the course of a match. I know I'd love to gain back those 2 lost seconds.

Ya, absolutely.

If your match pace is 85% of your max speed, I'd much rather be working at 85% of .7 rather than 85% of 1.2.

You're never done improving any skill. We hear all the time that you need to work on the low hanging fruit. There's definitely validity to this but it implies you no longer work on areas where you're already strong. I want to improve my weaknesses but I also want to bolster my strengths.

19 minutes ago, eboos said:

I was doing a few reloads yesterday at 7 yards and was noticing that when I tried to go fast, I was doing little more than pointing the gun in the general direction of the target on the next shot. Still in the 2.5-3 second range, so I have a lot of work to do.

Prop you phone up and film yourself. You'll be surprised how slow the hands are actually going down to the mag and back up. Then watch GMs on YouTube and feel horrible. And use it as determination to practice.

Reloads are all about ninja-fast hands and no wasted motion.

I prefer to practice reloading in dryfire by returning to a sight picture but NOT dropping the shot. So I'm not learning to stuffthemagmissthetarget really fast - instead I'm rushing to return to aiming the gun as quickly as I can.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

If you want to reload faster, try this exercise.  Time a few reloads.... heres an example...nemesis lead says his are 1.5 secs.  Lets use that number.  Set your par time a little longer than average reload.  1.7 for nemesis.  Gun in hand, aimed at target, timer goes off, fire, reload, AIM at target, when par goes off, fire your shot... shot must be a Good hit!  Do this a few times & you will find youre waiting a long time for par to go off.  Reduce par to 1.6.  Repeat.  When you find yourself waiting a long time on par, reduce par another tenth.  Continue reducing until you just cant beat par.  Then drop par, aim, beep, fire, reload, fire.  I suspect with 100 rds if nemesis is an average shooter, he could break 1 second.   For this to be effective, your hits must be good.

Reloading & moving?  Complete your reload before you get more than a step away from the shooting position, then haul to next shooting position.  Dont try to reload "on the way".   If your dropped mag isnt near your first shooting position, you reloaded on the move.  Not usually very effective.

I tend to agree with Ultimo Hombre, having shot with a number of great shooters, they will worry about the shooting and movement, set up and exit from positions.  Of course you don't really want to blow a reload but don't put too much weight on reloading and none of the other elements.  One shooter that I really look up to will shoot most stages straight up and shoot them well.  He says it doesn't matter what else you do if you cant shoot the stage well you will never make up for it !

On 4/27/2017 at 7:53 PM, choy said:

...Of course you don't really want to blow a reload but don't put too much weight on reloading and none of the other elements.  ...

In most classifiers draw and reload is half your score and the low hanging fruit hence why most new shooters practice it.

I would recommend in order to speed up hands the following:

Grab two rounded ends dumbbells (2-4KG) and imitate the reloading sequence till failure,  after 1-2min break repeat and do a total of what your body tells you: 4 - 7 sets.

Than grab gun and real-weight mag and do several sets again - you'll notice faster times immediately!

I too am stuck at around 1.4.

I think my problem lies with the last movement and trigger pull. I think I extend alittle too far out with my arms and try to get too good a sight picture before pulling. 

On a side note, last range session I had a few...pre-intended trigger pull timings. I'm getting used to a 1lb 12oz trigger of the checkmate. Shots landed high as I was still coming on to target. Gonna take some time to go from Glock triggers to a great SA trigger.