Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Normal to have to load really short with bbi bullets and ts?

Bullets

Only reason I'm still messing with these bullets is because I had bought a bunch of them. Running them in a Cz tactical sports. they don't pass the plunk test unless they are loaded under 1.120. is that normal? 180gr bbi .40sw

Edited by Bullets

10 minutes ago, Bullets said:

Only reason I'm still messing with these bullets is because I had bought a bunch of them. Running them in a Cz tactical sports. they don't pass the plunk test unless they are loaded under 1.120. is that normal?

CZ's are notoriously short chambered. depending on the exact bullet 1.12 sounds really long for a stock CZ throat.

Which bullet from BBI?

I tried a batch of BBI 180gr coated in my TS and had no problems at 1.126", which is what I load everything to for this pistol.

Bullets, you might check the diameter.  They are supposed to be .400", but if memory serves, mine were larger.  That could be part of the problem.

3 hours ago, StevenR said:

I go 1.135 with BBI 180's.  They are finicky about having enough crimp, but are not hitting the lands.

What is the outside diameter that you are crimping to? I don't think it's the crimp but will look into it.

Edited by Bullets

SAAMI specs for the cartridge are min. COL 1.085"; max COL 1.135".  Would think you could load longer than 1.120"  without issue; however, bullet profile can cause issues with COL.

I think you need to ensure your brass meets proper length as well.  SAAMI says 0.850" to .862".

If both within spec.  Then bullet profile or out of spec chamber would be my guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2016 at 7:50 PM, Bullets said:

Only reason I'm still messing with these bullets is because I had bought a bunch of them. Running them in a Cz tactical sports. they don't pass the plunk test unless they are loaded under 1.120. is that normal? 180gr bbi .40sw

I regularly use the same bullet at 1.125 in my TS with mixed brass.  'Fraid I don't have crimp info. handy (will post later if I can dig it up), but recall having to tighten the crimp up a bit more than I'd expected to solve chambering issues.  Since then not a single plunk problem or jam.

• 2 weeks later...