Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's discuss fast reloads

GARD72977

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/6/2016 at 4:42 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

I'd have to see some video (preferably reps moving every direction) to see what is causing the problem when you move to your strong side.

This thread inspired me to remove my hat cam and use it to record some dry fire. Seems that it should have been an obvious thing to do anyway, but I had not done it. Guess anybody with a cell phone could probably do something similar. 

Ick. 

When I fix the immediately obvious it will be time to ask about the issues that remain. The good part is that some things seem to not be that hard to fix once you know about them. 

35 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When I fix the immediately obvious it will be time to ask about the issues that remain. The good part is that some things seem to not be that hard to fix once you know about them. 

Yep. A large part of the problem isn't that things are hard to fix but most people just don't know what they are doing wrong even with video. As a coach I've heard more times than I can count about how much people train and how good of a handle they have on what they're doing, then when I watch them it's like looking at a train wreck. It's critical for people to have a realistic and accurate view of their current skills otherwise it becomes an arduous task to improve.

On 12/23/2016 at 9:34 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

This thread inspired me to remove my hat cam and use it to record some dry fire. Seems that it should have been an obvious thing to do anyway, but I had not done it. Guess anybody with a cell phone could probably do something similar. 

Hatcams are for making videos that entertain your friends. And that's all.

A cheap little $15 bendy-legged tripod to mount your cellphone in is a huge asset in matches. This one worked well for my iPhone 6plus all season long:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017NA7V1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SDZxybVH1H04X

That will let you stand your phone up downrange on a barrel, or wrap it around a wall or target stand with a good view of most of the stage.

I think it's even more helpful than having your buddy film you from behind. Since, you know, you can get the front view of live fire.

Just don't shoot your phone.

11 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Might be a level of development thing. At my level the hat cam is a very nice tool for understanding where mikes come from, and for confirming grip & safety activation point, it has also diagnosed a ftf (bumped the safety) & shown me a couple times when I thought I had missed steel but had gotten the hits & the steel just didn't fall, if I am shooting on the move when I should be, what my time slices are for points within a stage, all that stuff. 

I will buy a replacement if mine ever goes bad. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Might be a level of development thing. At my level the hat cam is a very nice tool...

I will buy a replacement if mine ever goes bad. 

I was speaking more generally than specifically.

I shoot with a pair of Pivothead glasses recording, as well as a phone slapped on a tripod somewhere to give me another angle.

I agree that the first angle can be useful for observing jams and gaping shooting errors - like you mentioned.

However the outside views are what make you faster and motivate you to clean up your movement, draw, and reloads. The big things that move you up in classification, which you can't see from first person videos.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

However the outside views are what make you faster and motivate you to clean up your movement, draw, and reloads. The big things that move you up in classification, which you can't see from first person videos.

No worries. 

Back on point. My reloads seem to be improving, so I bought a set of bullets out pouches for Xmas, so I can sort of start all over again :wacko:

I have taken a 2 week break from dry fire. When we get home tonight I will start back. 

Bullets out did nothing to my reloads. The only thing I really noticed is that you can get pouches closer together. 

Edited by GARD72977

On December 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

A cheap little $15 bendy-legged tripod to mount your cellphone in is a huge asset in matches. This one worked well for my iPhone 6plus all season long:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017NA7V1U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SDZxybVH1H04X

That will let you stand your phone up downrange on a barrel, or wrap it around a wall or target stand with a good view of most of the stage.

I think it's even more helpful than having your buddy film you from behind. Since, you know, you can get the front view of live fire.

Just don't shoot your phone.

I'm intrigued by the concept of the Soloshot tripod for filming matches, just need to find one in my budget now.....

https://shop.soloshot.com

@GARD72977...

So that you can more easily knock a couple mags out during a stage and find yourself one short at the end, again?

I have to admit that was good for a laugh. @Gcarr and I were watching and waiting.

"He's not going to like this..."

Edited by MemphisMechanic