Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using the paddle-lever mag release

threefeathers

Hi.  Several years ago you had a great discussion on using the paddle-lever mag release.  You described how to use it and it worked darn fast.  I've attended many of Mas Ayoob's schools and Marty Hays and Tom Givens schools and I mention what you said.  However I had a Heart Attack (Mas happened to be there) and I have taken a year of so out of instruction while Phil Wong and Sam Spade do the instruction.

I can't find your discussion so could you repeat your method of using the lever-mag release.  gatorfarmtactical.com

Sweep it down with your trigger finger.  I'm not really sure what other method you could be talking about.  It's not something that requires instruction unless you're one of the chuckleheads who were trying to manipulate it with their strong-hand thumb. ;) 

Down with the trigger finger.  I have found that I am fast with the paddle than I am with a standard button type. Also, my hand does not shift as much doing it that way.  I have not seen any other methods to drop the mag.

The trigger finger always worked better for me.  However, I really don't like doing anything with that finger besides pulling the trigger.  I know it might be a psychological thing, but I'm always afraid that if I give my trigger finger too many jobs that it might confuse one with the other.  I don't want to get a "bang" when I really want the mag to drop.  This is of course a training issue... but I have sooooo many repetitions with the standard mag release.  Plus I also like shooting non-HK pistols as well.  Going back and forth is a recipe for messing it up, IMO.

I've seen that opinion before on giving the trigger finger too many things to do, and I hate seeing it.  It's not grounded in reality.  It's one of those things that seems to track logically, and some percentage of people will think "yeah, yeah, that makes sense," and then they repeat it, and it gains some credibility.  Reality is the opposite.  The reality is that you have ten fingers, and if you give ONE of your fingers a task, it's the OTHER 9 fingers that are more likely to move in ways you didn't intend, the other nine that might twitch, or that might squeeze or grip harder subconsciously.  The person who has shifted the gun in their hand a little and sent their thumb to push down the button on the traditional mag release while re-applying grip pressure subconsciously with the hand and other four fingers to control the pistol during the mag change -- THAT is the person more likely to get their index finger on the trigger, specifically because they are NOT doing something deliberately with their trigger finger at that time.  The process during which you have given your trigger finger something to do other than pull the trigger is a time during which there is no way you're going to accidentally pull the trigger.  

I think trigger finger is the most effective way I have found, but if competition be careful!! Swipe the paddle and get your finger out of there! I have been called finger in trigger during a mag change in a match end even attempted DQ (which match director had to intervene because I was having non of that, it was reversed).  

Trigger finger is the best.  My biggest issue is switching occasionally between paddle release and American button release.  I am thinking about it and all is good when I am on a paddle, but going back to a button has been 'interesting' at times in the past

• 4 months later...

I was at the NRA convention last weekend and while at the H&K booth I spoke to one of their shooters...he told me that he uses his thumb.  While I usually use my middle finger.  I tried it with my thumb and find that I can do it, but the gun moves off target too much. 

And yes I also get the finger call on occasion...when that happens I immediately stop and chew the RO out that he should open his eyes and see that it is my middle finger that is on the mag release and no fingers are in the trigger area.  Yes it increases my time, but I just shoot for the practice and not to win.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. Happened to me too. ROs don't usually see too many HKs so they're quick to call it like a bad ump. I've had a HK45 for a long time so I'm used to sweeping it and getting it out of the way quick. I shoot my G34 now in USPSA and it's much slower for mag reloads than the vp9 I use for idpa

On 5/7/2017 at 11:59 PM, GlockCanMan said:

And yes I also get the finger call on occasion...when that happens I immediately stop and chew the RO out that he should open his eyes and see that it is my middle finger that is on the mag release and no fingers are in the trigger area.  Yes it increases my time, but I just shoot for the practice and not to win.

That's why I wouldn't warn you. I would stop you and issue DQ. I'd let you take it up with the RM. And if you ever tried "chewing out" an RO in my presence I'd DQ you then too.

11 hours ago, zeroryde said:

Yup. Happened to me too. ROs don't usually see too many HKs so they're quick to call it like a bad ump. I've had a HK45 for a long time so I'm used to sweeping it and getting it out of the way quick. I shoot my G34 now in USPSA and it's much slower for mag reloads than the vp9 I use for idpa

"Bad ump"? If you know that this rare device can make it appear as a finger in the TG, perhaps showing it to the stage staff so they could learn and not cause any drama on your run would be a good idea.

As for " chewing out", go for it as I have yet to try out anything from rule 10.6.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That's why I wouldn't warn you. I would stop you and issue DQ. I'd let you take it up with the RM. And if you ever tried "chewing out" an RO in my presence I'd DQ you then too.

Relax Francis.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a left handed guy with small stubby fingers, for me it is much easier to index the trigger finger on the slide and drop the mag using the middle finger.

Pobably not gonna work with guys who have bigger hands, but they can use their thumb to release the mag I dont even reach to the lever with my thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shooting a VP9 in USPSA competition for over a year now, and use the middle finger for the mag release, it's plenty fast and safe, just took a little training and a few hundred dry-fire mag changes to get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably bigger hands but thumb works nicely for me. Funny how what once was controversial and a major stumbling block is now completely natural and requires no conscious thought. I guess training will do that.

• 1 month later...

USP shooter in Production here...I use my trigger finger to sweep the release.  While I really love this gun, it's eventually going to get shelved and replaced with a CZ or Tanfo as far as USPSA goes - they just have too many advantages relative to the USP.

• 5 months later...
On 12/15/2016 at 5:44 AM, JunotFranco said:

I think trigger finger is the most effective way I have found, but if competition be careful!! Swipe the paddle and get your finger out of there! I have been called finger in trigger during a mag change in a match end even attempted DQ (which match director had to intervene because I was having non of that, it was reversed).  

I started telling the ROs that I’m using a paddle mag release To prepare them for my finger placement during mag changes. I was using a PPQ M1 at the time so my finger was even farther forward and closer to the trigger (longer paddle on the M1 than the H&K).

• 3 weeks later...

I never liked the 'trigger finger' method, as it always made my 2nd finger joint hurt after doing it, so I use my middle finger. Whether static or dynamic, I've never spaghetti'd the gun into the deck by 'flipping' the gun up, using the web of my thumb and pointer finger as the contact spot for rotation, before dropping the mag with my dominant middle finger, 'flipping' the gun into a good grip, and getting another mag in. This method may be too slow, however, as with frequent practice, it seem's like my mag arm slows a bit to make up with the extra-time taken to eject the mag. 

• 1 year later...

Got a DQ for trigger finger on the paddle myself. From now on I'll be showing the showing the RO that I have a paddle release before I start.

Meanwhile, I'll be practicing releasing with my middle finger. That way I can very purposely extend the trigger finger during the mag release and maybe dodge the DQ's

When I shoot a major sanctioned match anymore I have started to tell the RO's that I am using a paddle mag release as I load and make ready so that they are aware of what I am shooting.  Most of my local RO's have already been trained. 

• 1 year later...

I’ll confess to not reading this old thread... I have still today a usp40c and a usp40 competition and used to own a usp45c..... I ran them in idpa and ipsc.....for me it was natural to use my gun hand middle finger.  No firing grip change required .....I run 1911’s, xd’s and sigs as well.    But when I have a HK in my hand my brain switches to strong hand middle finger ....    Try it!!

H