Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help finding a good bullet for short chamber CZ

DaveInHawaii

Hi guys,

I'm working up some loads for a new CZ and the short chamber is messing with my plans.  I was planning on using Zero 125 gr JHP (.356) with Titegroup.  I could not get the round to pass the plunk test and gave up trying when I reached an OAL of 1.070...and that was still too long.

I have some 147 grain Speer TMJ loaded to an OAL of 1.130 and they fit the CZ chamber just fine.  The only issue is they are not as accurate as I would like.  

I would appreciate any suggestions for bullets that have history of being accurate (50 yard accurate) and also have a profile can be loaded to a reasonable OAL with shorter chambers.

Thanks a lot,

Dave

Honestly, I'd ream the barrel if you wanted to stay with a JHP/FP profile. If the TMJ's can be run out to 1.130, then I'd play with that or any RN. 

When you say the 147s weren't as accurate as you'd like, what were they grouping at when you shot them, and what accuracy standard are you looking for at 50 yds?

Good advice.  Thanks guys.  

It does like those Zero 125 grain pills.  But, it gives me fliers and there are some malfunctions due to the short chamber...so I should probably get it reamed.

I did paint one of the rounds yesterday with a marker and got a nice ring where the rifling made contact.  

Actually, I don't think the barrel likes 147 grain bullets.  That’s too bad because my other nines do like the heavier bullets.  The gun is a CZ Rami which has a 3" barrel.  I was shooting for a 1" group at 25 yards and 3” out to 50.  I shoot steel out to 50 yards…it’s just for fun.

From a sand bag at 25 yards, the Zero 125 JHP average just over 2" with the best group at 1.3".  The 147 (Zero / Speer) groups average over 3".  The 147 Zero JHP did pass the plunk test when loaded to 1.120.  But, I didn’t realize the Zero 125s were too long until after the testing. 

I appreciate the help. 

Dave

3FNeMEz-M3oYwQ0XuvBhgcmpVS-NFeVfBGGPRWCT

qJ-5KUotHdwqSfIbTE8WSYn1TDhzPn68kS-zkx2D

nIzpOCaybEuMM3bf3EgVniZmQ4GCG3Ed9V9XompS

rf52aWINWTujMV6DbblBSGQEN7kgZfRtYlft0p65

Many people (I'm one) find that CZ pistols need to get 147gr bullets going a little faster than other pistols for good accuracy.  I tend to find 925 to be about the minimum average for good results at 25 yards.  I load them to a target of 935 feet/sec.  The difference in accuracy between 935 and 900 is significant for me in my CZ pistols.  Not so much in my other 9mm pistols.

You do NOT need to ream your barrel.  You CAN, but you do not need to.  I'll tell you right now that it's not uncommon for JHP bullets to need to be down betwen 1.06 and 1.08 in a CZ.  There is one ZERO profile that needs to be a little shorter, and it should be avoided.  Maybe that's the one you have?  I have no idea.  If you want 124/125 grain bullets, may I recommend the Precision Delta 124gr RN for 38 Super, instead of the 124gr RN for 9mm.  The difference is that the 38 Super bullet is sized .356 to the 9mm being sized .355.  It is perfectly fine to use .356 38SUP jacketed bullets in 9mm, so don't sweat it.  You load them normally.    My other pistols prefer the PD 124gr JHP, but in my CZ pistols, that 38SUP 124gr RN is the better option.  As long as you buy 2,000 or more at a time, they're 8.9 cents per bullet.  Shipping is free in the continental U.S..  Can't speak for Hawaii.

Good luck.

Hi, DaveinHawaii,

It looks like you are dealing with a issue I have with my CZSP01 Shadow, can"t seem to find that magic load combo!! I was wondering how you were benching you pistol, using those carpet rolls at the range don't really work for me. I am finding out that the oal on my loads using many types of bullet shape and weights in my barrel is driving me crazy also!! I do get some great load data on this site from others and what they use and have tried!

Good luck !

Hi, thanks everyone for the great input.  And hello to Kulaglock11...a fellow Honolulu shooter.  If you go to the pistol range, I'm the tall, bald guy that is almost always shooting revolvers.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure the little CZ out  I ordered some of the Precision Deltas and those might do the trick.  The gun is harder to shoot with the short barrel.  But, I don't think that's the issue so far.  It sounds like I'm probably not pushing the bullets fast enough with the short barrel and lighter loads I was using.

This is the rest that I use and you will recognize the view.  (BTW, say hello if you see me.  I'm usually at the range on Friday afternoons and Saturday.)

J5JrFxnNkG6NupWmC7xawFX47tu1doBQpHO5g7Ug

TONhgRHPvFE1ZyjfchHT60vuuILNPW6Mq3bU9dPx

Loading for the 9mm is definitely more of a challenge than my revolvers.  But, it's helping me learn.  

alhykFeW0rBZC0lhaPtDOIyQZrGbjvitHU93VupT

xMHORhK-YimCyBAneCJJnbrG41nLaIph2MwTPF_R