Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Show me your holes

ShortBus

Just recently took a pic to compare mine. All 9's. Left to right: 3 1/8" holes in 5" gun (CK), 4 5/32" holes in 5" gun (my creation), 6 3/16" holes in 4.5" gun (older IMM).  

If I was only putting 2 holes in a 9 they would be 3/16" without question. 

I'm finding hole location is as important or more important than hole size and number, but I'm still experimenting. Everyone seems to like something different. 

If you're working off a standard bull barrel and slide, just cut a slot.  If you have a hybrid it's even easier.

holes.jpeg

Edited by theWacoKid

1 hour ago, ShortBus said:

Pople holes that is. Looking for ideas on how to cut the slide and stuff. 

Also, what is the go to size for 9maj if you were only planning on doing 2 holes?

Sure glad you clarified your title, I was somewhat afraid to open this post. :blink: (I don't have any popple holes in my pistol)

Saving for an open pistol right now, more than likely gonna buy a new trubor, but will post a WTB when I'm ready to buy. I was thinking 2 holes but am open to more. 

Wacokid, gun is n the right is insane. The internet tells me you will never be able to make PF! 

Tell me more about the hole location? I was thinking a straight cut with ball cutting bit that went into the comp a little and 1 hole on the comp and 1 at the end of the barrel. My thinking was it would be farther out having greater leverage, and easing the worry or making PF. What say you?

Yes, the gun is a little insane.  The internet would probably tell me the same.  

Like I said, I'm still experimenting with some stuff.  When thinking about hole layout there are opposing physics at play for distance down the barrel so it becomes a balancing act.  Yes, there should be more leverage for holes nearer the muzzle.  But the opposing effect is the nearer the muzzle the later the hole gets fed and thus it will see gas at a lower pressure and for a shorter duration of time which will reduce the net force and impulse from the popple.  If you go too far away from the muzzle you quickly lose energy to accelerate the bullet and make pf.  But the more a particular popple hole drops muzzle velocity of a given load, the more effectively you can assume it is redirecting energy to give the compensation effect.  Where does location leverage override popple impulse?  I dunno.  I don't know if it even matters.  Probably not being able to make pf safely is more the problem than leverage.

Unfortunately, it all goes back to personal preference and the result is going to be affected by different load recipes and gun configurations (springs, balance, weights, etc.).  Currently, I'm trying to characterize it for myself so I know how to best set up my own guns.  At the moment I am chasing the impulse of compensation and not max compensation.  I'm not looking for a flat gun, but a smooth recoiling and returning gun.  If it happens to be flat that's fine too.

Edited by theWacoKid

49 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

IMG_0247-2.JPGHello: If you are looking at getting a Tru Bor don't put any holes in the barrel. Have the slide lightened. Thanks, Eric

I planned to get into the slide a little as well. I like the way yours looks. Why no to the popple? 

To be 100% honest with you, adding the holes is as much about the mental perceived benefit as it is for the actual usefulness. I have a sickness, but atleast I know about it. 

12 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If the comp does what it should you don't need the barrel holes. Playing with bullet weight and different powders does a lot, more than people think. Thanks, Eric

+1.  I have two Open guns.  The CZ has only a comp with 3 up ports and 4 side bleeders.  It is much, much softer on the hands than my other, but the muzzle rises a bit more.

My 2011 has 2 3/16" poppels and a 4 chamber, 5 port comp.  The poppels make the gun shoot flatter, noticeably, but rob the comp of the gas it needs to soften recoil.  You can make that up somewhat by going to the slowest powders at the expense of blast and violence.

I'm toying with the idea of building a third Open gun.  If I do, I'll experiment with different comps and loads first.  If I cannot get exactly what I want, adding a poppel (or 2 or 3) later is easy.

I've done lots of experimenting and this is what I have found with regards to loads and porting.  Tried MG and PD bullets in 115, 121, and 124 grain.  I've loaded rounds with Silhouette, HS-6, AA7, N105, 3N38, and Autocomp.  I can tell a very slight difference between the most extreme ends of the powder spectrum (fastest vs slowest) and extreme ends of the bullet spectrum (115 to 124).  I could not tell any difference with a just a comp change.  But start drilling serious porting holes and the change is dramatic, no matter the powder or bullet used.  So for tweaks and tuning in a setup, powder and bullets adjustments will do.  For a dramatic change in the gun's feel and handling, start porting.  

I've also noticed I am very sensitive to porting in general.  Factory ammo feels totally different to me through a Glock 17C versus a 17. 

One other note.  When installing popples, angle them back.  SV does 10 degrees, but who's to say that's ideal?  A slight angle back does allow the popple to give some recoil softening effect along with the compensation.

Edited by theWacoKid

14 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

I've done lots of experimenting and this is what I have found with regards to loads and porting.  Tried MG and PD bullets in 115, 121, and 124 grain.  I've loaded rounds with Silhouette, HS-6, AA7, N105, 3N38, and Autocomp.  I can tell a very slight difference between the most extreme ends of the powder spectrum (fastest vs slowest) and extreme ends of the bullet spectrum (115 to 124).  I could not tell any difference with a just a comp change.  But start drilling serious porting holes and the change is dramatic, no matter the powder or bullet used.  So for tweaks and tuning in a setup, powder and bullets adjustments will do.  For a dramatic change in the gun's feel and handling, start porting.  

I've also noticed I am very sensitive to porting in general.  Factory ammo feels totally different to me through a Glock 17C versus a 17. 

One other note.  When installing popples, angle them back.  SV does 10 degrees, but who's to say that's ideal?  A slight angle back does allow the popple to give some recoil softening effect along with the compensation.

What powder and bullet weight did you end up settling with?

Luke it would be good to shoot a few open guns with and without popple holes just to see if you need them or not. Mine has no holes, Peter and Robert Adams have a few with the holes for you to try .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MrPostman said:

Luke it would be good to shoot a few open guns with and without popple holes just to see if you need them or not. Mine has no holes, Peter and Robert Adams have a few with the holes for you to try .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That's a good idea. I shoot with Peter a lot it seems like. 

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

Like this?

IMG_20160716_112919747_zpsny1vnrf3.jpg

EXACTLY like that minus the amount of holes (maybe). 

Here is some data from my CFD analysis when I designed my comp.  First plot is size of holes, 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4".  This is two holes near the end of the barrel.  With this data I choose to use two 3/16" holes.

20140902_213902.jpg

barrelholesize.jpg

You can see that they do give up some impulse in the hand, but not very much, and it's during the beginning of the impulse and they end up being the same as the comp starts doing the majority of the work.  BUT, they make a dramatic increase in pushing the barrel down (flatness) early in the recoil cycle, while maintaining more overall downforce the entire impulse. 

WithholesvsWithout.jpg

Edited by jid2