Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making 300 BLK

colt1911

You can also do it with a tubing cutter and manual trimmer to trim to final length after running through a .300BO sizing die.

Set the tubing cutter at the bottom of the shoulder and cut off the neck and shoulder. Run product through sizing die. Place sized product in trimmer to get to final length. Load.

Order a 300blk Jig, just google it and pick one  you like.  I found one that did everything I needed for about $14.  I bought a little miniature chop saw from harbor freight for about $30 on sale.  Mount the jig in the chopsaw, it holds the case where it needs to be cut, which is just below the shoulder.  You can play with the length to reduce how much trimming you have to do afterwards.  Now you have a pile of straight walled cases, lube them and run them through a full length size die, it will form the shoulder the same time it sizes the rest of the case and deprimes.  Now you trim to length, the rest is the same as any other rifle case. 

• 2 months later...

thanks to all who offered advice, i purchased a harbor freight chop saw and a squirrel daddy 300blk jig and i have been going to town making 300 blk, ive done around 500 rounds now and never realized how cheap 300 blk was compared with 5.56....  im saving around $30 and as much as $60 per 1000 rounds.... havent tried any reloads suppressed yet, we'll see how that goes.....

With any suppressed load, always test the load on paper at some sort of extended distance to verify there is no key holing before you run it through your suppressor.  Especially when you start playing with subsonic loads.  Baffle strikes are easy to avoid if you just play it safe. 

On 2/25/2017 at 0:57 PM, colt1911 said:

thanks to all who offered advice, i purchased a harbor freight chop saw and a squirrel daddy 300blk jig and i have been going to town making 300 blk, ive done around 500 rounds now and never realized how cheap 300 blk was compared with 5.56....  im saving around $30 and as much as $60 per 1000 rounds.... havent tried any reloads suppressed yet, we'll see how that goes.....

what bullets are you using?  It costs me a lot for 300 ammo because the bullets are expensive. 

16 hours ago, Paul-the new guy said:

what bullets are you using?  It costs me a lot for 300 ammo because the bullets are expensive. 

Right now im loading primarily some xtreme 150 grain Flat Points, they aren't the best for 300blk but they are cheap, and I've learned short flat points don't feed real great unless you load them long, and ive made them work just fine.... I ordered some hi-tek coated 220gr to try out for 120/k. The bullets are stupid expensive, but the area where i'm saving money over 5.56 is Powder, i get around 500+ rounds/lb for 300blk and only around 250/lb with 5.56. I've decided also that I'm going to load exclusively subs as well, because cheaper.

• 2 months later...

I have done the conversion, and unless you have an press mounted trimmer, for me, it just isn't worth it.  I found someone on a facebook loading group who will take 223 brass and convert it for you and ship it back.  For someone with no 1050 and no power trimmer, it has been a good deal.  I try to find as much of my brass as possible, but i do end up losing some every range session.

I bought 500 to start with.  But I save every cracked neck/shoulder .223 piece of brass.  When I get a little can of it sit down in the sun one cool spring/fall morning and work up some for with a tubing cutter, resizing die and case trimmer.  My pile of 500 is slowly growing, but slowly growing is better than slowly dwindling.