Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 929 experience

jcoers

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Is their a fairly easy way for a lay person to tell if the barrel is indexed within reasonable tolerance? 

Is the sight perfectly straight at 12 o clock , centered with the frame of the gun?

If not, It's not indexed properly. Make friends with somebody with a Smith and wesson frame wrench. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, MWP said:

From what I've seen, some people take it off, some people open the hole up, some take it off and mill off the nipple. But the ones who leave it on unmodified eventually wonder why they miss by a foot at 5 yards.  

This.

Toss the nipple in the trash, Mill it out bigger if it's undersized, or mill off the nipple.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/346/30675971044_fc02dd1dda_z.jpg

30675971044_fc02dd1dda_z.jpg

Edited by alecmc

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, pskys2 said:

9mm will use at least 10% less powder than short colt loads.  So beware.

I've slugged both my 929's and found them to have have .357" cylinder throats and .356" barrel bore.  My normal 9mm reloads ran ~10% slower in my 929.  I've run 38sp 158gr RN and 148gr HBWC loaded in 9mm cases, and found those loads to be more efficient on powder, though surprisingly not much different in accuracy. 

As in developing any loads, start at the low end and work your way up to the results you want (and keep an eye out for pressure signs :) )

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, 2c5s said:

Picked up my 929 from my FFL yesterday. All appears fine except there is no ball detent in the crane. Frame is cut, crane is cut, but no hardware. Bizarre..

Should be on the forward section of the crane, if not - just get a power custom ball detent installed and be much better off. 

12 hours ago, missed it by that much said:

Just bought mine president's day weekend and the hole drilled but no ball. It's at TT the factory getting it's its ball now

I would love to talk to someone who worked in 929 assembly and find out what the situation is. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I would love to talk to someone who worked in 929 assembly and find out what the situation is. 

They clearly have zero QC. I'm willing to bet not one person bothers to look over these firearms before they ship. In addition to my missing detent, the charge holes are not chamfered either. I have yet to remove the side plate to see what may be lurking inside. Upon calling S&W, they are eager to email a shipping label to get the brand new gun back there that just left a month ago to fix it. What kind of business model is that??????

46 minutes ago, 2c5s said:

They clearly have zero QC.

Seems like there might be something going on besides only that,  you would expect that the folks on the floor would know what is needed and most problems reported have not been subtle. 

I've seen labor/management squabbles end up pushing problems out the door so you wonder if it is that or lack of training or some new and weird management practice (you will be custodians on straight shift but revolver smiths when you are up for overtime?). 

Not important I guess,  but curious. 

4 hours ago, 2c5s said:

They clearly have zero QC. I'm willing to bet not one person bothers to look over these firearms before they ship. In addition to my missing detent, the charge holes are not chamfered either. I have yet to remove the side plate to see what may be lurking inside. Upon calling S&W, they are eager to email a shipping label to get the brand new gun back there that just left a month ago to fix it. What kind of business model is that??????

There is no factory chamfer, no matter what the website says. 

31 minutes ago, Distant Thunder said:

True. They chamfer the extractor, but not the cylinder itself.

There was only a very small chamfer on my 929's.  Really only enough to break the edge.  The factory DA trigger pulls were just horrible too - very gritty. A lighter main spring, 11lb rebound spring, and a couple of hours polishing the rebound bar, trigger and hammer DA contact points made a huge difference.

P9160003.thumb.JPG.0a4e85688b62a562f86d8cbef98ee6f3.JPG

Exterior wise, My 929 looked great.

However, I realized I couldn't judge a revolver by it's cover after pulling the trigger once.

It felt and looked like someone took a sanding disc to the internals and forgot to clean the grit off before assembly.

A few hours of TLC took care of it.

A spring kit, ext firing pin and now a bobbed hammer have made it what it should've been when it left S&W, Reliable !

On 2/28/2017 at 2:23 PM, Distant Thunder said:

Van, when did you get your 929? I've seen a half dozen (not counting my own) and NONE of them had ANY chamfer on the cylinder itself.

I picked up one in late 2015, and the 2nd one last summer.  The serial numbers are CYA68NN and CWP96NN.  That tiny chamfer is really hard to see (at least for me) unless you use a magnifying glass or macro lens.

Edited by VanMan1961

6 hours ago, alecmc said:

Damn that extractor looks loose.

The timing is ok, but there were sharp burrs on the underside of the extractors on both 929's.  They would sometimes catch a spent moon-clip if I didn't eject it hard enough and drag it back in where it would jam.  I spent some time filing and stoning off those burrs.  An easy fix, but disappointing quality for a S&W "Performance Centre" hand gun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2016 at 2:11 PM, MWP said:

From what I've seen, some people take it off, some people open the hole up, some take it off and mill off the nipple. But the ones who leave it on unmodified eventually wonder why they miss by a foot at 5 yards.  

On 12/8/2016 at 2:28 PM, Tom Freeman said:

Toss that silly end cap in the trash.

On 12/8/2016 at 3:20 PM, Distant Thunder said:

+1

You guys already new you were right I expect, but it finally got warm & I shot the gun without end cap today & yes you were right. 

Do not understand it. If I had not cleaned the area and made sure it was tight before then it might make more sense to me. 

EDIT: forgot to add alecmc to the atta boy list. Thanks to all. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS