Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono'd some 10mm loads today...

78Staff

Playing with a new Pro Chrono today, took some 10mm loads to the outdoor range today to check velocity and pressure - figured I would share some results...  All are 5 shot strings unless noted...  Pistol used was new model Colt Delta Elite 5".

Note some of the loads are above MAX based on newer manuals, but below or at max in some older manuals.  Always work up loads.

Powder             Gr           Bullet

Power Pistol      6.6gr       180gr Black Bullet Intl FP
Avg      986
ES       33
SD       14

Blue Dot            9.1gr      180 Zero TCFM
Avg     1109
ES       27
SD       13

Blue Dot           10.2gr      180 Zero TCFM   (had some errors here so only 3 shots)
Avg      1192
ES        21
SD        11

Blue Dot           11.1gr      180 Zero TCFM
Avg       1239              
ES         44
SD         21
(Had one shot that seemed low - 1196 - may have been light charge that threw off ES I suspect)

AA9                   13gr        180 Zero TCFM
Avg        1197
(only had one shot register, and seems a bit low)  I think this is where i shot one of the metal support rods (stupid!).  I was concerned about catching brass in the catcher net and angled off slightly here, so missed some readings due to not catching both sensors I think, and eventually even hit the rear left support rod, making it useless.  So will have to stop by Home Depot and pickup some 3/16 rod stock and cut a replacement (and a few spares lol)

AA9                   14gr        180 Zero TCFM
Avg        1327
ES         13
SD         7

AA9                   15gr         180 Zero TCFM
Only one shot, didn't register but had slight case bulge so didn't shoot any more.

I also shot some WSF 6.0 over 180gr Coated FP's, I didn't chrono today but from previous sessions I know it runs right around 1050.  Both the PP 6.6 and WSF 6.0 are often recommended "range/target" loads  from various 10mm sources/forums and are very accurate.

AA9 was fun to shoot but finicky to dispense, it flows well enough through my Dillon PM, to easily you could say, it's very fine and I always seem to have to cleanup more often when using AA9.  I also have some Longshot to try but haven't worked up any loads yet.

Edited by 78Staff

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, another new Delta Elite owner!  I've been playing with 231 to use the Delta in SS division, 5.3 grains of 231 got me 175 pf.  PMC brass, 180 grain BBI at 1.255" oal.  ES was 20ish, SD 9.  Going to drop to 5.2 grains and call it good. 

8.6 grains of Longshot and a 180 grain BBI gets me 1200 fps in both my SIG P220 and the Delta, for when I want to make noise :)

On 12/10/2016 at 3:50 PM, blaster113 said:

Cool, another new Delta Elite owner!  I've been playing with 231 to use the Delta in SS division, 5.3 grains of 231 got me 175 pf.  PMC brass, 180 grain BBI at 1.255" oal.  ES was 20ish, SD 9.  Going to drop to 5.2 grains and call it good. 

8.6 grains of Longshot and a 180 grain BBI gets me 1200 fps in both my SIG P220 and the Delta, for when I want to make noise :)

I loaded up some Longshot tonight - won't be my primary powder, but wanted to try it out.  Basically worked up some staggered loads from 8.0 - 9.8 (above max) over 180gr Zero JHP's - will try to chrono next weekend and will post results.

1327 out of a 5" barrel isn't too shabby at all.

I liked AA7 but stopped using it because it's a pain to meter -- it's so fine it gums the charge bar up.

Switch to wood dowels for your sunscreens -- they break nice an easily when you shoot them, which saves the plastic housing that they slide into in the chrony. Ask me how I know :lol:

On 12/19/2016 at 1:52 PM, thormx538 said:

1327 out of a 5" barrel isn't too shabby at all.

I liked AA7 but stopped using it because it's a pain to meter -- it's so fine it gums the charge bar up.

Switch to wood dowels for your sunscreens -- they break nice an easily when you shoot them, which saves the plastic housing that they slide into in the chrony. Ask me how I know :lol:

Yeah AA9 was the same, gummed up the Powder bar - took me a minute to figure out what was going on :(.

I'll try the wood dowels (great idea) when I get my 2nd Chrony... somehow a hole appeared in the front and back of mine yesterday. :(.  Hey, we've all done it, right? lol.

I did try some Longshot before killing it, however.  I don't have full data, but 9.8 over 180 JHP was a tad over 1300... this is above Max but had been reported by a few different folks as a stable load, so I worked up to it with no pressure issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Short version - Loaded up some 200's (which, I though were 180's, ugh) and was able to test them out today.

Long version - so I load up a tried and true formula for 10mm 180's - 10.3g of Blue Dot over 180g jacketed, should run about 1200 - but only after I shot a test string did I realize they were actually 200's. So, over max here, but I've seen 200's pushed harder (10.5). although maybe not in a DE.  Like an idiot I was rushing packing up and didn't grab the brass.  So I really don't know for sure, I guess is the deal.  From most manuals, it seems Max for 200's is less than 180's, topping out at 9.5 or 9.6 depending on manual for Blue Dot under 200's

Anyway, here's the results.  It annoys me, I'm tempted to drive back out to the range tomorrow and find the damn brass, but it's a 45min drive.  

AVG 1240
ES 65
SD 24

So, pretty full power load for a 200, but I doubt I will build any more with this recipe.  Shot fine "in the hand", but without verifying the brass hard to be sure.

Edited by 78Staff

Went back to the range a few days later, brass was gone of course but I brought a couple more to compare, same velocity essentially, but no bulging on the cases.  I was surprised to be honest.  They slipped right in to my case gauge after firing.

Also shot various loads of Blue Dot over 185gr Zero JHP - 10.2 avg 1230, 10.4 about 1250, and 10.7 (max published load) was in the 1270's.  None showed any pressure signs or bulge out of the Delta Elite 5".  Those loads see to fill the case or even be compressed a bit, so appears BD starts running out of steam in the mid 10's?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems some publishers don't want to give out recipes for bleeding edge 10mm loads, in deference to certain guns that don't have fully supported chambers.  SAAMI max pressure is 37,500 psi, you'll see books max out a 33,000 psi.  I'm going back to Power Pistol for testing 180gr and 200gr LFPs.  PP had better consistency versus BD for me.

• 1 month later...