Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One little trick for a faster reload

Try this: go to your safe, and get out a non-race handgun - and practice reloading THAT.  I dug out my old Browning HP about a week ago and have been practicing going from looking at the sights, drop the mag (catch it, or strip it with my left hand), take it to my hip, put it back in the gun and back up to the sights.  Holy crap that gun is hard to load smoothly!  But today I grabbed my limited gun with its huge magwell and I couldn't miss.

12 hours ago, Trebor Snave said:

Try this: go to your safe, and get out a non-race handgun - and practice reloading THAT.  I dug out my old Browning HP about a week ago and have been practicing going from looking at the sights, drop the mag (catch it, or strip it with my left hand), take it to my hip, put it back in the gun and back up to the sights.  Holy crap that gun is hard to load smoothly!  But today I grabbed my limited gun with its huge magwell and I couldn't miss.

Makes me think you let yourself get away with too much when you practice reloads with a magwell. Should always try to reload without touching the magwell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On 1/16/2017 at 3:06 PM, Migs said:

If you practice in front of your bed, the falling magazines (from the gun during the reload) are easy to pick back up.  Do make sure everything is unloaded!

Haha!  I tried this for a while but my mags always have this magical ability to bounce off of the bed and directly on to my feet.  I realized that I had actually started to build in a reflex to dodge the ejected mag with my feet because I was do tired to my feet getting banged up.  Not a good reaction during a match!   I had to finally switch to a hamper with a folded blanket at the top.  

On 1/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, diver60540 said:

I live by myself, so I can wear the gun around the house and dryfire any where. I learned something I didn't expect while checking my hand positions in a bathroom mirror. Put the toilet seat down first.

did ya dump the magazine, or the whole gun in the toilet? LOL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2017 at 0:00 PM, Pistolpete9 said:

Haha!  I tried this for a while but my mags always have this magical ability to bounce off of the bed and directly on to my feet.  I realized that I had actually started to build in a reflex to dodge the ejected mag with my feet because I was do tired to my feet getting banged up.  Not a good reaction during a match!   I had to finally switch to a hamper with a folded blanket at the top.  

You can use a laundry basket to catch all dtopped magazines. 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, thepunishur said:

I have to make sure I practice reloads in a room away from my dogs. My pittbull puppy sees the mags hit the bed, and thinks its a game. I've had to chase her around to get them back before. 

She's helping you practice your footwork and speed. 

On January 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM, diver60540 said:

I live by myself, so I can wear the gun around the house and dryfire any where. I learned something I didn't expect while checking my hand positions in a bathroom mirror. Put the toilet seat down first.

Awesome. I'd throw the mag away of it went in the toilet :)

red

• 2 months later...

My view is your subconscious mind (the one doing the actual shooting) doesn't really care about that over sized mag well because it knows it's only there to help out if there's a wee bit of trouble.

Edited by MikieM

• 8 months later...