Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Different Powder Measure on Dillon 1050

Lee Auto-Disk (not the Pro model) mounts on the Lee flaring die, has an available adjustable charge bar, is case activated and throws very consistent charges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537685/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150005/lee-auto-disk-adjustable-powder-charge-bar

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/114080/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-riser (if you need more clearance)

If you need that much precision you probably shouldn't try assembling the ammo with a progressive press. Out of all of them, Hornady's LnL makes the best ammo (sorry Dillon!), average runout on the 1050 isn't what I'd call stellar and the 650 is much worse. For match rifle ammo, I use a Forster Co-Ax.

But if you're determined, then maybe someone else can help you out. I've tried lots of powder measures for progressive presses and the Lee unit just beats them all. It's small, it's stupid looking and it's cheaply made, but the silly thing just works. Next best is the Hornady drum, very similar performance when equipped with the micrometer insert but it costs more than five times as much as the Lee, likes to leak on occasion, doesn't like stick powders and takes up more space.

Good luck, I'll watch this thread in case someone's got a good tip.

2 hours ago, Absocold said:

If you need that much precision you probably shouldn't try assembling the ammo with a progressive press. Out of all of them, Hornady's LnL makes the best ammo (sorry Dillon!), average runout on the 1050 isn't what I'd call stellar and the 650 is much worse. For match rifle ammo, I use a Forster Co-Ax.

But if you're determined, then maybe someone else can help you out. I've tried lots of powder measures for progressive presses and the Lee unit just beats them all. It's small, it's stupid looking and it's cheaply made, but the silly thing just works. Next best is the Hornady drum, very similar performance when equipped with the micrometer insert but it costs more than five times as much as the Lee, likes to leak on occasion, doesn't like stick powders and takes up more space.

Good luck, I'll watch this thread in case someone's got a good tip.

That's been my experience, too. I don't have a large stable of powder measures, just an RCBS Uniflow, Dillon, and a Lee Auto Drum, and the Lee really does work well compared to the others. Buying the inserts for them is very convenient, too. I have inserts for all my favorite powders/loads for each caliber. Less than a minute to change out the insert and you're ready to go.

Edited by Phlier

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 0:02 AM, Absocold said:

I get very nice rifle rounds on my 550, but I powder by hand.

1 hour ago, rustybayonet said:

The 550 actually does make pretty good ammo (better than 1050 and 650) but I don't count it as a progressive since the shell plate is turned manually. I lump the Big Boss, 550 and those types in the category of multi-stage rather than progressive.

But now we're getting pretty far off topic. Anyone have an answer for the original poster?

I suspect many would be surprised at how little a 0.2gn variation has in accuracy.

You can install any measure that can fit in the tight confines on the tool head, but, with my original Hornady progressive back in the mid to late '70s, I found myself occasionally NOT cycling the measure and was SO HAPPY when case-activated powder measures came out.

Next, I would expect any one who cares so much about accuracy that the Dillon measure isn't good enough should be using an arbor press and hand-made dies and weighing every charge any way..

I use many measures and am happy with all of them.

As far as consistency goes, I rate mine as:

Lee PPM (it takes a lot of throws before a charge is 0.1gn up or down from target and never seen 0.2gn variation, but the measure still feels like junk)

Hornady L-N-L (it takes about 10-20 throws before a charge is 0.1gn up or down from target and very seldom have I seen a 0.2gn variation)

Lee Pro Auto-Disc (it takes 10-15 throws before the charge is 0.1gn up or down, and very seldom have I seen a 0.2gn variation

Dillon (it takes about 5-10 throws before the charge is 0.1gn up or down and about 20 throws or more before I see a 0.2gn variation

Throwing the same charge, with the +/- 0.1 gn or +/- 0.15gn variations, they give me the same groups statistically as I get from my ChargeMaster. If you need even better consistency than a ChargeMaster, you can't get use with ANY powder measure.

You can do a search for "Astounding Powder Measure Test"

I have the data in Excel

ASTOUNDING POWDER MEASURE TEST DATA.xls

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've got one of these that I've only used for .223/5.56 and it works quite well.  I've checked the amount measured with a beam scale several times (after the initial setting) and it has never changed.  For the price, it's well worth a try.

https://fsreloading.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=Lee powder measures