Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automating Casepro100 100

jmorris, I am not at all as inventive as you but could you furnish a few specifics? Do you think the Posness Warren solution would be OK or are there things you would change? I read where Casepro was working on their own automation system, but I have yet to see anything on their site.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:09 PM, cbrussell said:

jmorris, I am not at all as inventive as you but could you furnish a few specifics? Do you think the Posness Warren solution would be OK or are there things you would change? I read where Casepro was working on their own automation system, but I have yet to see anything on their site.

The PW drive can be made to work, but I don't recommend relying on the clutch as an overload protector.  The electronic protection is much more friendly, easily adjustable and trouble-free.  Plus it lets you simplify the bushings, by getting rid of the clutch. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, postalpainmaker said:

Is there really a need for a case roller over FL carbide dies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not $1000 worth of need! A case roller is a want not a need. :)

4 hours ago, postalpainmaker said:

What about a mass reloading for commercial reloaders?

I would think to mass produce bulk ammo any extra steps would slow things down? Good case lube with the right dies will do 98%? Of what roll sizing will do.

From what I understand a major pro of a roll sizer is cleaning up extractor groove nicks. From my experience when extractor grooves are dinged etc they still run fine in my guns.

and of course there are only a small number of commercial reloaders compared to the millions of us basement dwellers.

Edited by Sarge

I would think to mass produce bulk ammo any extra steps would slow things down? Good case lube with the right dies will do 98%? Of what roll sizing will do.

From what I understand a major pro of a roll sizer is cleaning up extractor groove nicks. From my experience when extractor grooves are dinged etc they still run fine in my guns.

and of course there are only a small number of commercial reloaders compared to the millions of us basement dwellers.

I'm kind of thinking the same as you when it comes to bulk. Not needed.

39 minutes ago, postalpainmaker said:

I'm kind of thinking the same as you when it comes to bulk. Not needed.

Probably another way of looking at it is roll sizing may save wear and tear on presses? Maybe eliminate the need to lube? ETC.

Doug Carden would know!      HEY DOUG!!

Your FL dies do not size the entire case, they can't.  This is because the base sits in a shell holder so it can be pushed into and pulled out of the die. The die is also not square on the bottom or the case would be more difficult to line up properly as it enters, so the area where the radius is also does not get sized either.

If you "plunk" test you won't catch imperfections in the unsized area because the base won't come in contact with the barrel.

DSC02128.jpg

You will only find them when they get hung up entering the breech face.

DSC02130.jpg

If you use a case gauge to test all of your rounds you have likely noticed when they fail it is most often because of an imperfection at the base of the case (assuming your dies are set properly) and a roll sizer can correct this as well as iron out any dings in the extractor grove.

DSC02110.jpg

There are also a number of push through sizers that can size a straight wall case for the entire length too.

Lee has the cheapest, for use with a single stage press and magma has one that will do over 5000/hr but it costs more than $6000.

CaseMasterRimlessCaseSizerLg.jpg

It is intended for commercial ammunition outfits.

If you catch them when casegauging your finished product or don't care about the occasional "mystery" malfunction, they are all unnecessary.

Edited by jmorris

52 minutes ago, jmorris said:

Your FL dies do not size the entire case, they can't.  This is because the base sits in a shell holder so it can be pushed into and pulled out of the die. The die is also not square on the bottom or the case would be more difficult to line up properly as it enters, so the area where the radius is also does not get sized either.

If you "plunk" test you won't catch imperfections in the unsized area because the base won't come in contact with the barrel.

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

If you use a case gauge to test all of your rounds you have likely noticed when they fail it is most often because of an imperfection at the base of the case (assuming your dies are set properly) and a roll sizer can correct this as well as iron out any dings in the extractor grove.

DSC02110.jpg

There are also a number of push through sizers that can size a straight wall case for the entire length too.

Lee has the cheapest, for use with a single stage press and magma has one that will do over 5000/hr but it costs more than $6000.

If you catch them when casegauging your finished product or don't care about the occasional "mystery" malfunction, they are all unnecessary.

In your photo that is showing your case gauging and when reading from left to right, would the photos represent:  1. case gauge, 2.  supported ramp and 3.  unsupported ramp?

DSC02128.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

DSC02110.jpg

Thanks for the info John. I assume the push through will do nothing for the extractor grove?

3 minutes ago, postalpainmaker said:

Hey Jim, I'm guessing the push through will do nothing for extractor grove?

Not Jim but Correct. But I only see 1/500 or so that are so bad they won't work in my guns

On 11/26/2016 at 7:27 PM, cbrussell said:

What are the various options available for automating the Casepro100? I know about the Posness Warren, but are there options available?

Call Mike from CasePro.  He has an automated version.  He doesn't list it on his web site for retrofits, but will sell you one if you send your machine back to him to be modified.  If you don't have a CasePro yet, you can just buy a new machine setup with one.

Thanks for the heads up; I will give Mike a call. Is he using a variation of the PW setup or one of his own design? Either way, I think I would prefer his set-up rather than futzing around with one myself. I am not nearly as handy as some of the guys on this site.