Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Shooters! Where do you store you're guns

frgood

Between the matches, practice, and dry fire drills, Do you store your active competition guns and magazines in your range bag? Or, do you always unpack into a safe or storage area. 

I'm finding I drop my bag in the corner when I get home and my gun is either sitting in my range bag or in a drawer in my workbench if I'm working on it during the week. What say ye?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun ALWAYS gets locked up when I get home from a match, practice, or when I finish dry firing.  No exceptions.  I have two kids and there are lots of other kids around so there is no gray area, either in my possession/control or locked up.

no kids and no neighbors with kids. gun is out on bench in garage if i'm home. when i leave goes in safe. so if i'm around it just is out and about for spur of the moment dry fire. if i head out even if just for a few hours it goes in the safe.

Just seeing if there is consensus on good, bad, or best practices.

I had heard that leaving a pistol in a gun case or bag  may cause premature rusting. So I guess it is not necessarily lazy that by the time I get home from a match or practice, I'm too tired to go through a whole unpacking routine. I can drop my bag and simply reload ammo for the next match/practice. Also, it might be easier to avoid forgetting something as I have gone to practice with the wrong mags or forgot to pack ammo. 

Not sure why some people say that because they don't have kids, they can leave a gun lying around the house. I'm not even sure why this is a question up for debate. If you are not home your guns are safed. Always. I don't ever want to get a call that my stolen gun was used to kill some kids or people in a church. This may sound like me being a drama queen. So be it. Lockem' up gentlemen.

Meh, mine are laying around somewhere. Rifles on two floors, shotgun on another, pistol in truck, one in a purse, one near front door, etc. Competition guns just stay in range bags in closet.

I really did not ask rhetorically or in search of some reason. I am taking a census that will act as a sanity check for my own behavior.

What I was thinking about was more along the lines of rust control and conditioning. Not the title, 'Competitors', This is to separate from  SD guns. As stated earlier, I had heard that leaving a gun in a gun bag was ot a good storage device as it promote rust over a period of time.

Secondly, If I'm going out to practice every day, or every other day during lunch to run some drills, the act of un-bagging and placing it in a case seems like extra work.  If I'm going to just grab my bag every few days why not keep is ready just like any gym bag. If security is an issue then why not drop the whole range bag in the safe.

Maybe the question should  have been, "Do you keep your active competition gun in a gun bag all the time?"

8 minutes ago, frgood said:

I really did not ask rhetorically or in search of some reason. I am taking a census that will act as a sanity check for my own behavior.

What I was thinking about was more along the lines of rust control and conditioning. Not the title, 'Competitors', This is to separate from  SD guns. As stated earlier, I had heard that leaving a gun in a gun bag was ot a good storage device as it promote rust over a period of time.

Secondly, If I'm going out to practice every day, or every other day during lunch to run some drills, the act of un-bagging and placing it in a case seems like extra work.  If I'm going to just grab my bag every few days why not keep is ready just like any gym bag. If security is an issue then why not drop the whole range bag in the safe.

Maybe the question should  have been, "Do you keep your active competition gun in a gun bag all the time?"

Then my answer is yes. I keep them in foam cases in my range bag. For months at a time in winter. No problems.

BUT, my STI mags rust all the time and I have to stay on top of them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...