Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Shooters! Where do you store you're guns

frgood

On 11/28/2016 at 4:44 PM, Youngeyes said:

Not sure why some people say that because they don't have kids, they can leave a gun lying around the house. I'm not even sure why this is a question up for debate. If you are not home your guns are safed. Always. I don't ever want to get a call that my stolen gun was used to kill some kids or people in a church. This may sound like me being a drama queen. So be it. Lockem' up gentlemen.

Exactly my thoughts.  And if you are a gun owner and don't own a safe shame on you kids or not.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original question was not about general storage. I was curious of those that have a competition gun but use it almost daily. In my case the gun is on my bench being maintained, in my bag about to go to the range, or about to be used for dry fire practice.

Ally other guns are in the safe. But, to be honest, sometimes I am just tired tired to keep hiking back and forth to the safe. Somedays, I get home a just drop my bag until the next day

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have a locking cabinet, not really a safe, where everything goes except the pistol I've chosen for competition. It usually lives in its factory case, since I handle it quite frequently for dry-fire practice and such. My cat hasn't figured out how to operate a handgun yet, so I don't worry about having it accessible. There are usually a couple loaded carry pistols lying around too; the house rule on that is that if it's in a holster, it's loaded-- not that I don't always check a pistol for its status every time I pick it up, regardless of what I think I remember.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always exhausted when I get home from the matches I've been going to. It's past my bedtime and I'm pretty quick to undress, throw my shoes and range bag In the middle of the bedroom floor guaranteeing a scolding from my wife in the morning. However i always pull the gun out and stick it in the safe... it takes 5 seconds. I'll usually clean it after work the following day and clean out my bag, get everything straight. It's more so because I have children then any other reason though. 

Before I had my son the gun stayed in my work room with no problems.  Then I bought a safe and now, when I get home from the range it goes into the save immediately .  I normally take it out the next day for a full cleaning. My Caregivers are not allowed to be with guns so it has to stay in the safe when they are in the house.  Glad I no longer need 24 hour assistance.

I do not have any children running around my house but doesn't mean my guns are out laying around the house.  After each shot I clean my guns and place them back in the safe.  My guns are always locked up with not shooting them or working on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea why so many people missed the point of your question...

Most guns are reasonably resistant to rust as long as the coating is not worn really badly.  If your bag is dry and your house isn't really humid, there isn't any reason you can't keep them in the bag in or out of a safe.  I keep them in bags in the safe with less used guns unzipped.

Better to keep them in a place that has moisture control, but I have several firearms that are 30+ years on them and no visible rust.

I wouldn't worry about your bag causing any problems.

Laying on my reloading bench in pieces as I've been using the barrel for the plunk test. 

Comp gun usually stays in the bag when I get home. If not being used in loading or shooting I'll put it up in a day or two.  

On 3/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, calebj06 said:

Laying on my reloading bench in pieces as I've been using the barrel for the plunk test. 

Comp gun usually stays in the bag when I get home. If not being used in loading or shooting I'll put it up in a day or two.  

Pretty much same here. Either on the bench getting cleaned or in my bag next to my bench in my garage.

Hell, it's probably less likely to get stolen out of my range bag in my garage than anything in my house. Not saying there's a lot of valuables at home, just saying it's not a place someone would do a double take and go look.

• 1 month later...

Guns ALWAYS go directly back in the safe.  I never leave a firearm unsecured.  Just a personal thing...  I couldn't live with myself if my firearm where part of an accident.  Put a desiccant in the safe if your worried about moisture. 

Mine goes right back on the coffee table in the living room, so when the daughter's boyfriend/date comes over to pick her up, he KNOWS to have her home on time.  :lol:

Totally kidding guys and gals...I don't want to get any hate mail for this.  LOL  I keep everything secured whether it is on my person or it isn't, just as Youngeyes mentioned.  It isn't worth the risk.

As for the OP's original question, as long as you have some media in there to remove the moisture and make sure it isn't wet when you put it away, I don't see a major issue with keeping it in the bag, but I personally wouldn't just because I would rather have it "breathe" and have air around it so that nothing does tend to stick to it or rust and it can't really do that while stuffed in a bag.

Most people I know store a couple guns in their unlocked vehicles sitting in the driveway. And they own a cheap gun storage cabinet at best. I'm guessing my neighborhood looks a lot different than most of the posters on this thread.

24 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

Most people I know store a couple guns in their unlocked vehicles sitting in the driveway. And they own a cheap gun storage cabinet at best. I'm guessing my neighborhood looks a lot different than most of the posters on this thread.

^^^ out in the "boonies" ^^^

My carry gun is always with me. My STI stays in my range bag but I'm retired and home most of the time. When I go somewhere other than a match, the STI goes into the safe with the rest of my guns.

I keep mine in a pelican style knockoff with the other guns I have. I don't currently have a safe so it's quick and easy to lock up and keep in the back of the closet and transport to the ranges when needed. Best $15 ever spent!